Sponsored

Think our CAFE rules are tough on the Mustang?

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
The latest Euro regulations are moving towards 106 MPG, and they have many fewer loopholes than do ours. http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/eu-sets-106mpg-average-fuel-economy-target

And note that it's not just mileage regulations, it's emissions that are tightening down significantly as well.

So when you look at Ford's One World strategy, and the Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, and Mustang (and more) that are designed to be world wide products, this is an extremely tough target to hit. That means that certain engines will and won't be offered in various countries, electric (especially) and diesel will have to take an even bigger role. And that products must be designed optimally for the most efficient powerplants. So plan on even more EcoBoost Mustangs going forward... reality is that we can bet on a 1.5 liter EcoBoost within ten years. And there is already a 3 cylinder EcoBoost coming for the Fusion, just behind the upcoming Fiesta and the updates to the Focus after that.

And more use of smart computer-controlled transmissions, where emissions are far easier to program to than with manuals. Ford's upcoming 9- and 10-speed transmissions will be spread across the board. We'll certainly see at least an 8-speed auto in the Mustang, although it may be later than 2015.

This is all tough stuff, but it's reality... the good news for Mustang owners is that the Mustang will have to pay the penalty last of any other Ford products. The bad news about that is that it will also be last in line for advanced technology, other than the usual hand-me-downs from the other Ford lines - such as the 3.7 and 5 liter engines themselves, the majority bill for which was paid for by the F-150 budget. Undoubtedly the next F-150s Nano V-6 will be coming here at some point, too - and is probably already programmed into the schedule a couple of years from now.
Sponsored

NRMStand

True, everyones worried about the stricter '16 CAFE regs but the European ones are gonna be way worse in many ways.

The MPG requirements are weighted by sales volume... so it's an ironic benefit that the Mustang is just the 7th (I believe) top selling car that Ford offers and will not unduly tip the scales negatively for Ford's fleet average MPG.

Not sure if the European regs work the same way, but I would not be surprised to see a different lineup of engines in the U.S. and Europe.

Melino

106MPG?? I'm confused. How is that going to be possible when even the Fusion hybrid gets what, 40mpg right now?

Unchained

the good news for Mustang owners is that the Mustang will have to pay the penalty last of any other Ford products. The bad news about that is that it will also be last in line for advanced technology, other than the usual hand-me-downs from the other Ford lines
Why is that? You mean because it's a sports car and they know how important engines like the 5.0 are to Mustang fans?

Also, why does it have to be the last to get more advanced tech?

shelby1k

Yep, what will happen is even more pyramiding of Ford's lineup. Cars like the Fusion which are selling like hotcakes which already is a hybrid will continue to develop and use more fuel efficient tech which will allow the more performance vehicles to benefit by not having to worry as much about MPG. At the very top will be the GT500 and SVT variants which can pretty much do whatever they want since they sell in such limited numbers.

Sponsored

JackHoya

And more use of smart computer-controlled transmissions, where emissions are far easier to program to than with manuals. Ford's upcoming 9- and 10-speed transmissions will be spread across the board. We'll certainly see at least an 8-speed auto in the Mustang, although it may be later than 2015.

This is all tough stuff, but it's reality... the good news for Mustang owners is that the Mustang will have to pay the penalty last of any other Ford products. The bad news about that is that it will also be last in line for advanced technology, other than the usual hand-me-downs from the other Ford lines - such as the 3.7 and 5 liter engines themselves, the majority bill for which was paid for by the F-150 budget. Undoubtedly the next F-150s Nano V-6 will be coming here at some point, too - and is probably already programmed into the schedule a couple of years from now.
There's been rumors of an 8 speed auto for the 2015 mustang for some time now. I think we'll see it and 9 to 10 speeds within 5 years. As the article says, an 8 speed auto with the 3.7 and 200lb lighter car could get up to 35mpg highway. Paired with an EB4, could get close to 40.

http://www.themustangnews.com/content/2011/09/2015-mustang-may-get-8-speed-transmission/

As for geting "advanced" tech last, as long as we get the performance tech first (DI for example), I'm good. A lot of the advanced tech right now is for fuel economy. Some of those will simply never make it to the Mustang (hybrids etc)

BoostedSVT

We haven't heard which Ford vehicles will get the 9-10 speed automatics yet, but we know it's being developed for both FWD and RWD so we'll see a number different trannys come out of this.

You're right that this kind of tech will get put into cars like the Focus and Fiesta first, but all of that works to the advantage of Mustang. The more small cylinder ecoboost, electric and hybrid engines are put into the other Ford cars, the leeway they will have for the Mustang.

shelby1k

Not sure if the European regs work the same way, but I would not be surprised to see a different lineup of engines in the U.S. and Europe.
If they do, it will be an engine already used in the Ford line up. Highly unlikely they create entirely new engines for such a niche market.
Sponsored