The Big Fat Track Car Cooling Thread

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Wow, is that 2 cooling radiators or a special one with 2 sides? Curious if anyone has logged transmission temps after a 30min track session
Sponsored

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Wow, is that 2 cooling radiators or a special one with 2 sides? Curious if anyone has logged transmission temps after a 30min track session
Its a twin 8 row cooler with 2 separate circuits and one big ass 10" fan. Its a tight fit but makes full use of that space and should be fine for double stints, that is the goal for this build as the owner wants to be able to share the car with his son at HPDE events. When I get a chance I will add the pics of the 60 row oil cooler for this same build. Its on a GT350 and the OEM coolers do not get enough airflow to be effective enough to do double stints. We were seeing 265-275*f oil temps after 25min so no way it was going to make back to back sessions.

I have not logged trans temps but I know by the condition of the fluid that it gets hot and should be cooled for 25+ min sessions. Stay around 20 min and change the fluid after every other event and you should be OK.

Dave

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
[MENTION=20846]ddozier[/MENTION] how does the diff/trans feed to the cooler in that setup? is the pump able to pull? (looking at the diagram it flows from pump to diff/trans to cooler)
[MENTION=15674]Plimmer[/MENTION] - did you see a McLaren 720S (magnetic metallic like color) @ cota last weekend? (4-8) - a group of us headed down to hill country for the twisted sisters and ran into a guy on the way, he had a Tundra that was towing a 720S heading to COTA that weekend. chatted for a bit and went our separate ways. just curious.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
[MENTION=20846]ddozier[/MENTION] how does the diff/trans feed to the cooler in that setup? is the pump able to pull? (looking at the diagram it flows from pump to diff/trans to cooler)
The fluid is pulled from the diff and trans through the cooler to cool the fluid before it gets to the pump, then it is returned to the diff and trans. The pump I am using can prime itself with upto 8 ft of vertical lift. Since it is mounted with less than 1ft of vertical lift it will have no problem drawing the fluid through the cooler and returning it to the diff or trans. You want to cool the oil before the pump to prolong the life of the pump. The pump can withstand 160*f continuously and peak temps of 265*f for short periods of time. The pump should see fluid temps of 130-145*f after the cooler. We are targeting a system average temp of 170*f with peaks of 190*f.

Dave

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
Very tidy install man. That looks great. Great job on the schematics as well.

Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Very slick install. Kit selling opportunity? Probably a good market for a nice complete solution like that.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Very slick install. Kit selling opportunity? Probably a good market for a nice complete solution like that.
Right now we are selling this setup as installed local only, there are to many installation variables that come into play for it to be packaged as a kit, at least for now. I have three more of these to install and after that I may change my mind, even if it does become a "kit" it will not be a DYI unless you have a good deal of experience in plumbing lines. We use a set of hard-line tubing to move the trans fluid from the trans to the cooler at the rear of the car and they have to make several bends to be installed correctly so with out the proper tools it will be difficult to do correctly. There will also be wiring variables as so far all the installs have been on cars with relocated batteries so the harnesses I have made already would have to be altered or the battery would have to be relocated as part of the install.

Anyone near St. Louis that wants this setup can have it installed as soon as we can work them into the schedule and they can get the car here.

Dave

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any idea how many amps the pumps and fan are drawing? Love to have this, but you're about 900 miles too far from me!

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
[MENTION=24313]JackBauer[/MENTION] yes, he was there, but I didn't meet him. Those 720s are fast as hell, and so are Porsche GT3 RS's. Wish I could get my stand to keep them in sight. Thinking slicks and a big wing might be needed

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Any idea how many amps the pumps and fan are drawing? Love to have this, but you're about 900 miles too far from me!
Not too bad of a draw, each pump draws peaks of 8 amp but once the fluid is moving they settle down to under 5 amps each and move 2 GPM @ less than 10PSI. The fan has a soft start and ramps up to a peak of 5 amps so the entire system draws 21 amps peak at start up and 15 amps average current draw.

It will be rare that the pumps and fans will all come on at once, they will be staged in as each fluid reaches operating temperature. The pumps stage in first and then the fan. It is completely automated so the end user does not have to remember to turn the pumps or fans on after a proper warm up lap or two.

Dave

Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not too bad of a draw, each pump draws peaks of 8 amp but once the fluid is moving they settle down to under 5 amps each and move 2 GPM @ less than 10PSI. The fan has a soft start and ramps up to a peak of 5 amps so the entire system draws 21 amps peak at start up and 15 amps average current draw.

It will be rare that the pumps and fans will all come on at once, they will be staged in as each fluid reaches operating temperature. The pumps stage in first and then the fan. It is completely automated so the end user does not have to remember to turn the pumps or fans on after a proper warm up lap or two.

Dave
Thanks. Just thinking in terms of what wire size you'd need for a non battery in the trunk car. I have a tiny battery up front and don't want to move it.

I guess the hard lines would be too long to ship?

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Thanks. Just thinking in terms of what wire size you'd need for a non battery in the trunk car. I have a tiny battery up front and don't want to move it.

I guess the hard lines would be too long to ship?
They could likely be shipped but need to be bent as they are installed to deal with the rear end cradle, the next install I will try to do it pre-bent and see if they can be installed that way or if there is another logical route that still allows for the fuel tank and the rear end to be dropped without completely removing the new lines. I like my installs to be as close to OEM as I can and that is one of the reasons for using the hard lines. Weight and service life are also good reasons to use the hard lines. Hoses degrade over time and should be replaced more often if exposed to high temp fluids.

For a battery up front install I would run a min 4 gauge wire from the battery to the new fuse and relay harness I have built.

Dave

Trakhor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
The fluid is pulled from the diff and trans through the cooler to cool the fluid before it gets to the pump, then it is returned to the diff and trans. The pump I am using can prime itself with upto 8 ft of vertical lift. Since it is mounted with less than 1ft of vertical lift it will have no problem drawing the fluid through the cooler and returning it to the diff or trans. You want to cool the oil before the pump to prolong the life of the pump. The pump can withstand 160*f continuously and peak temps of 265*f for short periods of time. The pump should see fluid temps of 130-145*f after the cooler. We are targeting a system average temp of 170*f with peaks of 190*f.

Dave

I apologize if this is in this thread and I just overlooked it. Based on what you are saying here and the diagrams I am assuming the rumors I've read about not being able to transfer fluid in and out of the MT82 while it is in gear are false?

I currently have the FP trans cooler scoop, however should it prove to not be effective it would be nice to not have to pull the trans and weld in a bung.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I apologize if this is in this thread and I just overlooked it. Based on what you are saying here and the diagrams I am assuming the rumors I've read about not being able to transfer fluid in and out of the MT82 while it is in gear are false?

I currently have the FP trans cooler scoop, however should it prove to not be effective it would be nice to not have to pull the trans and weld in a bung.
This is the first I am hearing of this issue, I use the fill and drain plugs converted to -6AN fittings, I do not believe the MT82 being in gear or neutral would have any effect on the fluid running out the drain plug location.

On the GT350 trans with the mechanical pump built in that could be an issue depending on how the mechanical pump is driven, if it is driven off the output shaft it would need to be in gear to move fluid, input shaft and it would be moving fluid if the engine is running.

Dave
Sponsored