Tailgaters

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I just wanna know one thing: was OP in the left lane?
I am assuming you are looking for a reason to blast the OP.
Sponsored

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
I experience this every now and then (I assume the car attracts dopes like that) but it has happened a lot the last 2 days. Yesterday afternoon on my way home with my daughter from school, a brand new M2 (ugly as sin BTW) decided he needed to be right on my a$$ for almost the entirety of our 10 minute ride home (and half that trip is on 4 lane roads so he couldā€™ve gone around if he was in that big of a hurry). Encountered 2 more on my way to and from taking my daughter to school this morning, Altima and an Infiniti G37. I donā€™t drive at the exact speed limit so itā€™s not like I was impeding traffic or anything.
Anyway, especially with my kids in the car, I have zero patience for people like that so I finally lost it and decided to keep up foreign relations (if youā€™re old enough youā€™ll get the movie reference). I try to control that as much as possible because you never know what someone will do but I was especially irritated with these latest tailgaters for whatever reason.

So PSA, donā€™t be an a$$hat and tailgate people. That is all, have a lovely day!
Falling Down comes to mind for me. Lol

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If I do that multiple times and they donā€™t leave me alone Iā€™ll just do a small pull to pass another car and then they latch onto them.
That never works for me. I have run up to 150 and then coasted back to my normal speed only to have the azzhat catch me in a few miles and latch back on.

When I encounter this jerk I pull off and get gas.

Austin1992

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
That never works for me. I have run up to 150 and then coasted back to my normal speed only to have the azzhat catch me in a few miles and latch back on.

Thatā€™s happened to me once, luckily I was at my destination right as he was catching back up. Cruise set 60 in a 55, some little Nissan/Honda gets on my ass, I start fluctuating with the cruise control between 50-70mph and he wouldnā€™t pass or allow a gap. I went to 3rd at 70mph, wot to 140 then let the cruise resume 70 in a 55 with out touching brakes. He mustā€™ve been cruising 100+ because it wasnā€™t even a mile up the road I was turning and heā€™d dam near caught me.

Sponsored

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
If you're pig headed and insist on doing exactly what you're doing because you think they're the problem, that's wrong. It takes 2. You both can stop the situation and you both need to continue to sustain it.

Be the solution.
I am OK with what you said up until this point. I usually try to just avoid them and let them pass BUT you can't tell that I (or another conscientious driver) is the problem.

The problem is, and remains, them. And after you avoided them they are going to cause damage somewhere else, until something bad happens. You can manage a problem but that does not deny it's existence.

MrDude_1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP convertible
The problem is, and remains, them. And after you avoided them they are going to cause damage somewhere else, until something bad happens. You can manage a problem but that does not deny it's existence.
And it's not your problem. You are not part of the solution either.

People have always sucked at driving. Enforcement has always appeared to be shit.

You cant legislate and firmly enforce "proper" driving in the US for a multitude of reasons.

So make thr best of the situation by being both defensive and unbothered by the idiotic acts of others.

Or get yourself in a tizzy over it and always be upset about something you can't control. Whatever.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper

I usually just roll down the window, wink and blow 'em a kiss. :)
Works 97% of the time.
3% of the time you come home with a phone number you don't want.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
That works...

I have found that if you are being tailgated, start zig-zagging back and forth in your lane like F1 drivers warming their tires... you have to add a slight amount of throttle in order to keep the speed constant.
They will back off because they are NOT expecting you to do this and they don't know how to react... they were expecting the usual brake check, the usual slow down, the usual left hand blinker... but they were not expecting the wiggling vehicle in front of them doing the unexpected.

It WORKS...!!!!

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
start zig-zagging back and forth in your lane
I tried that once and the passenger in the car tailgating me whipped out her phone and started filming. I stopped because I didn't want to be a Facebook star.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
That works...

I have found that if you are being tailgated, start zig-zagging back and forth in your lane like F1 drivers warming their tires... you have to add a slight amount of throttle in order to keep the speed constant.
They will back off because they are NOT expecting you to do this and they don't know how to react... they were expecting the usual brake check, the usual slow down, the usual left hand blinker... but they were not expecting the wiggling vehicle in front of them doing the unexpected.

It WORKS...!!!!

In Atlanta I am surprised just slowing down 10 MPH would not work well, everyone there is always doing way over the speed limit trying to be the first inline.

I always dread having to go thru any big city because of crazy drivers in them. It seems like you are in a race everywhere you go in a big city.

Just a small town person myself. and used to the old days of far less cars on the roads than there are today.

BD

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I take it having a phone in your hand while driving is legal in the US?
It's illegal in my state, but I rarely see highway patrol during rush hour.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
Yep, illegal in Alabama as well but rarely if ever enforced also. Handsfree is the only legal means of using cell phone while driving and even then, they are usually not paying attention to actually driving.

BD

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Illegal also here but's nonetheless it's an epidemic.
A few weeks ago I was at the local grocery, on foot, I stopped just to contemplate what was the happening of an accident in the parking lot.

There was this woman checking her phone right in front of her face with the rear gear engaged (I could see the light and the car still, but running). Then she backed up a little while looking at the phone, then again, and again, and again... until she smashed the rear of the car to the concrete angle of the store's wall smashing bumper, destroying a taillight and some more damage. She started yelling WHILE STILL LOOKING AT THE PHONE, then she departed. I guess it was some kind of social media what she was looking at.

I let you guess where she was looking when she departed.

I'm not a fan of too bad punishments, everyone can make errors but this lady needs her license revoked, the situation itself shows that the majority of people using smartphones when driving are not capable of handling themselves, and the act of using a smartphone while driving is way, way more dangerous than speeding. Although it's not generally perceived as it.
Sponsored