Sponsored

synthetic or

GStang

GStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco Boost Mustang
Just wondering if with todays high performance engines does using synthetic oil have any real benefits?

Lower temps?
less wear?
better performance?
Sponsored

DeColores

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB DD V6 w UltraGripICE THULE Chains
GStang,

If I had EB in Rochester, I would do full synthetic at least in the winter, you have a lot of v8 power in that i4.

DeColores

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
Yes...plus less buildup as well... synthetic hold up better, less breakdown of the oil, I personally use mobil 1 in all my vehicles... my truck requires mobil 1

Josh Painter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
Synthetic.

Even in normal-performance engines, there's no excuse for using anything less than synth-dino blend in this day and age. I use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend in my '06 Fusion's stock V6 engine.

I also use Motorcraft oil filters. They are made by Purolater, but to FoMoCo's specifications (which are more stringent that Purolator-branded filters). Motorcraft filters have a superior anti-drain-back-valve design which prevents any dirty oil from re-entering the engine.

You might be shocked to see how poorly made some name brand aftermarket filters are (cough Fram cough). But I have found one (and only one) application for which I would recommend a Fram filter:

Sponsored

Murdered Out Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
My wife's '13 Mazda 6 requires 0-20 full synthetic. If hers takes it, mine sure as hell is going to get it.

OP
OP

GStang

GStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco Boost Mustang
Too funny about the Fram "silencer".
Thanks Guys...

As for winter driving in Rochester...the only thing my Eco will see will be storage and that periodic winter start. To much salt spread on roads here...really keeps the body shops busy!

Ok then, I'll start doing some homework on some synthetics.

Appreciate the input!

Josh Painter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
I'll start doing some homework on some synthetics.
I haven't yet read the 2015 EB 2.3 Owner Manual, but I believe it specifies six quarts of Motorcraft 5W-30 (full synthetic).

Motorcraft oil is made by Conoco-Phillips to Ford's specifications. From my research, Ford's oil spec is very close to that of Kendall GT-1 Synthetic Motor Oil. Motorcraft Synthetic provides the same protection as Mobil 1, but at a more reasonable price, IMO.

You don't have to go to a Ford dealer to buy Motorcraft oil and filters. Most auto parts stores stock them.

geokots

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang EB Premium
Not really a question. Only just full synthetic.
Some prefer Royal Purple. I've used Mobil1 for cost/performance

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
I haven't yet read the 2015 EB 2.3 Owner Manual, but I believe it specifies six quarts of Motorcraft 5W-30 (full synthetic).

Motorcraft oil is made by Conoco-Phillips to Ford's specifications. From my research, Ford's oil spec is very close to that of Kendall GT-1 Synthetic Motor Oil. Motorcraft Synthetic provides the same protection as Mobil 1, but at a more reasonable price, IMO.

You don't have to go to a Ford dealer to buy Motorcraft oil and filters. Most auto parts stores stock them.
Walmart stocks them well for motorcraft filters

Sponsored
OP
OP

GStang

GStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco Boost Mustang
Nice info Josh...sounds like you've done your homework. looks like it's synthetic IS the ONLY way to go.
Motorcraft and Kendall are 2 fine Oils....a buddy of mine who races cars running 1/4's under 8's is a big fan of Valvoline.

Thanks George...I've used Mobil products in past years...was trying to stay with ( now don't lock and load) American oil products. Not sure that Mobil is.

geokots

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang EB Premium
"Mobil 1 is an American-German brand name developed by the Mobil oil company globally marketed and sold by ExxonMobil."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobil_1

I'm not endorsing Mobil1 beyond saying it's a good product.
Recently I've been using Castrol a little more but that's because Castrol Canada is a client of mine

OP
OP

GStang

GStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco Boost Mustang
Thanks George for that link...looks like it was founded from Standard and Esso going way back. Gives me another great option.

I know Mobil has the right octane ....in the past I remember Mobil stating their gas helped keep engines cleaner...

Tested and proven? or any ole 93 octane will do?