MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
No, not me. I had a 'Vert in my younger days. I hate the big blind spot on the B pillars, which is how you will drive the car 95% of the time. Plus, I have visions of the movie "Tommyboy" happening to me.
My top is __down__ 95% of the time, no B-pillars, no rear window issues, perfect visibility :sunglasses:
Sponsored

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I'd keep the top down too, with those big blind spots. Great for this time of year down here, I give you that.

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
Go for it!

I had a ‘16 GT in guard, PP, M6, supercharged - it was fun.

I now have a ‘20 GT in Rapid Red, PP1, A10, NA with Ford Performance CAI and calibration - it’s fantastic! I Highly recommend the Performance Pack - worth every penny!

The A10, once recalibrated with the FP tune is an absolute beast! I don’t miss the M6 at all.
Best thing about a convertible is the top-down cruising on a sunny day or a warm, clear summer night. Pure Heaven!

Good luck with your decision!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
If it has a fixed roof, it needs 4 doors! I hate coupes, the back seat is useless. I would not be without a convertible. My GT is not a daily driver, simply because I don't drive very much any more. But, in my younger days, I drove some pretty outrageous convertibles (Viper, Vette and S2000) through some pretty nasty winters, for a total of 9 years and they were daily drivers. Hell, the Viper didn't even have side windows or door handles.

Funny I think the same of 4 doors. For example the charger, ruined with the extra doors. Good looking car in a coupe, would really have had a cuda look. Totaly blew it with the rear doors.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Funny I think the same of 4 doors. For example the charger, ruined with the extra doors. Good looking car in a coupe, would really have had a cuda look. Totaly blew it with the rear doors.
I can't believe you are equating a 4 door sedan to a coupe just because they have the same name. That would be like calling an SUV a Mustang and saying how terrible it looks with 4 doors... Oh, wait!

Anyway... this doesn't look much different with 2 doors.

2021-dodge-charger-mmp-1-1599602312.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
My experience with my 2017 vert was a love/hate relationship. Loved it when the weather was warm, but as soon as it turned windy/nippy or we had a stretch of cold and rainy weather.. the top up experience was a kill joy. If I could afford it I would have both or if I was in Florida or a warm weather state I would have one for sure. I guess I'm a "fair weather" fan of the convertible, but not a die hard, drive it with the top down in 40 degrees with the heater on kind of guy.

I have to say though, the improvements with the 2019+ models are great, the PP pkg, A10, Active Exhaust, heated steering wheel, etc all add to the driving experience. My hands were always cold, and the after market exhaust was like Goldilocks... just not quite the right level of sound and no way to shut it off when I just wanted to listen to the radio..

It was still a tough decision moving on from it, but just didn't have the environment in Wisconsin to enjoy it the majority of the time.

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Let me tell you, and I'm sure RacerX would agree. Driving in the summer with the roof down in Florida is brutal. You'd be sweating like a hog at red lights in 90% humidity. Roof up air on.

Iconicgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Only live once! when I was shopping for my mustang I went looking for a convertible as that’s what I was replacing. It was a summer car for most of my 10 year ownership. In Philadelphia it was too hot or too cold for the top down most of the time. But any chance I had I did put it down. With the s550 the hardtop/fastback look is what I made my decision off of. The sn95 hardtop/convertible looks a lot more similar to me then the s550.
4069360F-E33B-4C82-9F8D-23772416ABE8.jpeg

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I had to spend a summer in Houston to train clients once. They had 30 days in a row where the humidity was 100% and the temperature was around 100, too. I had to bring a change of clothes to work because I was sweating like a pig just walking from the parking lot. A convertible would not have been welcome in those conditions.

Fortunately, I haven't seen a 90 degree day in several years in SE Wisconsin and I can put my top down 5 - 6 months of the year. I'm perfectly comfortable in a tee-shirt in the mid 60s. Lower than that and I put a sweatshirt on.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That's the issue I always had with my 1970 Mustang convertible. It's great those few days when the weather is nice, but we have entirely too many hot and cold days. I still love the car though.

Really a convertible is most perfect for driving around in a small town where there isn't much traffic and the speed limits are around 30 mph. It's not as much fun on the highway in my opinion.

To the OP I would say test drive it and then decide. Make sure you can live with driving a lot with the top up.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
That's the issue I always had with my 1970 Mustang convertible. It's great those few days when the weather is nice, but we have entirely too many hot and cold days. I still love the car though.

Really a convertible is most perfect for driving around in a small town where there isn't much traffic and the speed limits are around 30 mph. It's not as much fun on the highway in my opinion.

To the OP I would say test drive it and then decide. Make sure you can live with driving a lot with the top up.
I agree with your assessment. The kids drove in the back seat a couple of times and that was enough... as soon as we got over 45mph they were uncomfortable with all the wind. I ended up putting a wind restrictor in the back for comfort up front but that eliminates the back seat entirely.. It has it's moments. especially at around dusk on a hot summer day when it's cooling off and you go for a casual cruise while the sun sets

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I agree with your assessment. The kids drove in the back seat a couple of times and that was enough... as soon as we got over 45mph they were uncomfortable with all the wind. I ended up putting a wind restrictor in the back for comfort up front but that eliminates the back seat entirely.. It has it's moments. especially at around dusk on a hot summer day when it's cooling off and you go for a casual cruise while the sun sets
I purposely bought a Mustang convertible because it has the best combination of performance, value and rear seat space. I seriously considered a used BMW M6, but the cost for something comparable to my 2018 GT premium would have been at least double. I wanted a rear seat because my grandkids were getting too big for the rear seat of a Porsche.

In retrospect, it appears that was faulty logic. It doesn't take much time in the back seat of a convertible to become very uncomfortable. It was OK when they were small, as they were down too low to be affected by the wind. But now, they would rather ride in an SUV. So, the next convertible will likely be a two seater. In the meantime, the Mustang is just fine.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I purposely bought a Mustang convertible because it has the best combination of performance, value and rear seat space. I seriously considered a used BMW M6, but the cost for something comparable to my 2018 GT premium would have been at least double. I wanted a rear seat because my grandkids were getting too big for the rear seat of a Porsche.

In retrospect, it appears that was faulty logic. It doesn't take much time in the back seat of a convertible to become very uncomfortable. It was OK when they were small, as they were down too low to be affected by the wind. But now, they would rather ride in an SUV. So, the next convertible will likely be a two seater. In the meantime, the Mustang is just fine.
It really is a fantastic value... and the amount of space including the trunk makes the mustang vert very practical. If I could afford it i'd own both for sure. I may just pickup a 2018+ MY used down the road because that is when they really started making improvements to the lineup that favored the vert (active exhaust, heated steering wheel, lower front hood, A10 with PP, etc..).

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
I had a vert in 01 when I lived in Hawaii. I thought perfect place for a vert. Wrong.
I would put the top down and the first light I hit it went back up. Too damn hot. I only had it down in the evenings when it was not sunny. Never got another one.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Be sure the vert is what you really want.

I love ragtop Jeeps, so when I ran across my '07 GT500 vert for nearly the price of a coupe, I jumped on it. Biggest car buying mistake of my life. Too compromised for me as a performance car, and if I had gone coupe I might still have it. Never fell in love with it.
Sponsored