Sponsored

SVT/GT350 options

Backorder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan...:-(
Yes, a bit early for this but I thought it would be a fun thread to see the opinions and not muddy up some of the other threads.

Assuming some of the speculation of 3 models...what options do we think will be present in each? How did the optioning vary between the boss, ls, and r version?

Depending on price, I will probably have to go with an entry level SVT product, but I would like the option to add a few goodies to it as well. Probably wishful thinking, but I would like to have the option of rear seat delete on the base model. I can't remember, was this option available for the regular boss or only see on the LS?

Just give your thoughts on models, options, and what you would like to see available on the upcoming SVT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
My take on the structure is that the GT350-R is essentially a Leguna replacement, and is essentially a track-oriented road car (not a track-only car). It isn't an replacement for the Boss 302R. Keep in mind that the 302R and 302S models are not Mustang program team vehicles like the two street variants were. Rather, they are essentially developed from the production Boss 302 by Ford Racing (and their partners) after the fact, for the catalog, as turn-key race cars. Well, the development was obviously concurrent, but it my point is that it was outside the Mustang program team.

So, from a strictly high-level OEM basis, a 2-model structure of GT350 & GT350-R is a direct replacement for the previous Boss 302 & Boss 302 LS set up, even though it has shifted from the Mustang program team to SVT. If there are S550 race models, they will continue to be after-the-fact FRPP developments. I know that some have advocated from a while now that there will be 3 models from SVT (GT350, R, & S), but I just don't see that, not in the same sense that they're primary developments. If there is an "S" model, it'll be an FRPP catalog car, not from SVT. Right now, SVT has just two models on the books - the standard GT350 and the GT350-R.

With all that said, I think the GT350 will be equipped and opted somewhere between what the Boss 302 and GT500 offered. There was only 1 option on the Boss 302 - the Recaro/Torsen pack. The Shelby offered a number of options, but a lot of it was trim and appointments, though it did have the Recaro seat option and the SVT PP that offered a bunch of chassis upgrades.

I think some of the drivetrain/chassis upgrades will become standard on GT350 (brakes, Torsen, etc). It streamlines the chassis development and tuning if those things are just across the board. But the might still be a PP of sorts; upgrades to cooling (radiator, trans & diff coolers), different wheels, etc. And there will probably still be optional Recaros (as opposed to standard) to hold the line on cost. But beyond what the Boss offered, I'd bet that there will also be options like nav, adaptive cruise, etc. since those things are all plug & play from the standard S550.

I'm betting that GT350-R, though, will be much more hard core. Strip away the fancy options, the back seat, the sound deadening, like the Leguna Seca model did. Put even wider wheels on, the Pilot Sport Cup tires, carbon-ceramic brakes, and Bob's your uncle.

OP
OP
Backorder

Backorder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan...:-(
I see what you are saying. My thought on the three cars is like you stated, one of them won't be an SVT but a catalogue car.

I'm thinking in terms of naming conventions rather than who makes it so like the boss series you would have two street cars from SVT and then at least one catalogue car with the GT350 naming convention but not made by SVT

Eager to see what they come up with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Here is what I would like to see for the street cars:

GT350:
1. Two piece iron brake rotors
2. Fixed calipers on all four wheels (must have a version that makes changing pads easy)
3. Aluminum suspension sub-frames
4. Square tire setup if possible (allows front/rear rotation, maybe side-side as well)
5. High revving, naturally aspirated engine
6. Defeatable auto-rev match for the manual transmission
7. Typical performance stuff as standard (stiffer shocks, balanced handling tuning, beefy wheel bearings, limited slip diff, etc).
8. Improved oil, transmission, and engine cooling

For the next step (similar to Boss Laguna Seca):
1. Additional weight reduction (CF in places, rear seat removed?)
2. More aero
3. Carbon Ceramic Brakes (should these be optional on lower version as well?)
4. Sticky tires

Basically I see the first version similar to the Camaro 1LE, but with the improved engine and very good brakes on all four wheels, along with some weight reduction. It would cost more than the 1LE, but much less than the Z/28. Would be $45,000.

I see the second version as something more like the Z/28, with more extensive weight reduction, the fancy brakes and sticky tires, and even more aero tweaks. Suspension would be tailored more strongly towards track performance and less towards daily drivability. Would be $60,000.

I'd probably be leaning towards the first option.

-T

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
My take on the structure is that the GT350-R is essentially a Leguna replacement, and is essentially a track-oriented road car (not a track-only car). It isn't an replacement for the Boss 302R. Keep in mind that the 302R and 302S models are not Mustang program team vehicles like the two street variants were. Rather, they are essentially developed from the production Boss 302 by Ford Racing (and their partners) after the fact, for the catalog, as turn-key race cars. Well, the development was obviously concurrent, but it my point is that it was outside the Mustang program team.

So, from a strictly high-level OEM basis, a 2-model structure of GT350 & GT350-R is a direct replacement for the previous Boss 302 & Boss 302 LS set up, even though it has shifted from the Mustang program team to SVT. If there are S550 race models, they will continue to be after-the-fact FRPP developments. I know that some have advocated from a while now that there will be 3 models from SVT (GT350, R, & S), but I just don't see that, not in the same sense that they're primary developments. If there is an "S" model, it'll be an FRPP catalog car, not from SVT. Right now, SVT has just two models on the books - the standard GT350 and the GT350-R.

With all that said, I think the GT350 will be equipped and opted somewhere between what the Boss 302 and GT500 offered. There was only 1 option on the Boss 302 - the Recaro/Torsen pack. The Shelby offered a number of options, but a lot of it was trim and appointments, though it did have the Recaro seat option and the SVT PP that offered a bunch of chassis upgrades.

I think some of the drivetrain/chassis upgrades will become standard on GT350 (brakes, Torsen, etc). It streamlines the chassis development and tuning if those things are just across the board. But the might still be a PP of sorts; upgrades to cooling (radiator, trans & diff coolers), different wheels, etc. And there will probably still be optional Recaros (as opposed to standard) to hold the line on cost. But beyond what the Boss offered, I'd bet that there will also be options like nav, adaptive cruise, etc. since those things are all plug & play from the standard S550.

I'm betting that GT350-R, though, will be much more hard core. Strip away the fancy options, the back seat, the sound deadening, like the Leguna Seca model did. Put even wider wheels on, the Pilot Sport Cup tires, carbon-ceramic brakes, and Bob's your uncle.
This^.

Though, I think the GT350 might have limited options, to keep the base cost down($48?), while the "S" might be special order builds..? Leaving the "R", as an all out multimatic tracker...?

Just thinking out loud..

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
You think we are safe to say that the following claim on the Chevrolet web site is about to be blown to bits when the GT350 comes out? And with 30% less displacement, and twice the number of valves.
7.0L V8 Engine
This hand-assembled engine is the most powerful normally aspirated regular-production small-block V8 ever.
Produces 505 hp @ 6100 rpm and 481 lb-ft of torque @ 4800 rpm
Boasts a redline level of 7000 rpm, thanks to its highest-quality parts and precision assembly

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
You think we are safe to say that the following claim on the Chevrolet web site is about to be blown to bits when the GT350 comes out? And with 30% less displacement, and twice the number of valves.
7.0L V8 Engine
This hand-assembled engine is the most powerful normally aspirated regular-production small-block V8 ever.
Boasts a redline level of 7000 rpm, thanks to its highest-quality parts and precision assembly

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
7.0L V8 Engine

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
The ford engine wouldn't be considered a smallblock though. Mercedes AMG M156 6.2 V8 is already more powerful making over 630hp.
If it's not, then only chevy has a smallblock, so it's a moot point, camaro sucks.

Sponsored

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
I suspect the statement, as it reads, is just an internal reference to previous Chevy small-block family engines. I don't think its intended to be a comparison to everything else in the world. Its just a claim of how much better the Chevy small block is now than it was before. Or at least that's how I take it...