Sponsored

Suspension noise, help me diagnose

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Performance pack
Hey guys,

Currently I'm lowered on BC coilovers about 2.5 inches. Everything has been going well but with this warmer weather I have started to get quite a few clunks that I'm trying to diagnose. Sounds like the noise is coming from front strut/shock area. Its much more prominent on the right than the left.

Here are the symptoms:

- Slow speeds: Slight knocking/clunking over bumps.

- Turning at slow speeds (Side streets, parking lots): Choppy clunking/popping that progresses as I turn the wheel to the right. I feel it in the wheel slightly but not much.

- Highway speeds and normal cruising everything feels fine.

I'm thinking its the end links. I still have the stock ones and i think me being so low has put a lot of strain on them. Any other opinions though? I already have a set of adjustable ones on the way.

Thanks for the help

- Chris
Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I can offer two possibilities that I have experienced. I installed Steeda shocks, springs, and struts.

First, the nut that holds the whole strut together backed out on my front strut. Passenger side strut. The center nut of the strut that you can see when you open hood. Going over bumps it would clunk or hitting a pot hole at slow speeds clunk. Highway speeds no issues. I put some blue Loctite on and torqued the nut. Zero issues since.

The other issues was coming from the rear but I could see the same issue presenting itself in the front. End link bolt backed off causing some play in the sway bar where the end link met the sway bar. Again, I developed a clunk noise in the rear end.

That's what I have experienced.

Although not my car, the pics below show the areas I am talking about. The yellow circle for the strut and the sway bar issue.
2012-02-02%2016_45_10.jpg
ELK013_image5_large.jpg

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
I need to take care of this with mine as well. I have Koni Yellow and Eibach prokit and Steeda camber plates. Mine started after installing the camber plates. Been too lazy to take the car apart and change the springs seats/hats. Think I’ll try lock tight or using a wrench in a spring compressor to rule out a loose strut nut.

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Guessing this is your kit: https://bcracingcoilovers.com/produ...g-br-type-coilovers-ecoboost-gt-and-v6-models

Agree with Houston Kid ... it's usually the top mount of the strut being loose, or the way your swaybar endlinks are connected.

Then again, your kit came pre-assembled so unless the factory did a bad job with that, you likely aren't gonna have issues there.

Is the camber plate loose at all? The three nuts that hold it down?

When doing swaybar endlink stuff make sure the car is jacked up on both sides (to alleviate preload on the bar) and then you'll be able to loosen them and retorque.

Based on feeling it in the steering and happening with turning... perhaps your spring is binding?

I'd inspect the top-mount where the spring is resting. Make sure any bearing elements there are installed/seated correctly. And of course that top nut. Check whatever is supporting the spring for loose stuff. Are the rings that support the spring loose?

Another thing to consider... do you have new sway bar endlinks for the front? I see the kit comes with 2 but not sure if that is front or rear. If you don't have shorter endlinks in the front and went that low there is a chance your swaybar is hitting or binding on things.

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I need to take care of this with mine as well. I have Koni Yellow and Eibach prokit and Steeda camber plates. Mine started after installing the camber plates. Been too lazy to take the car apart and change the springs seats/hats. Think I’ll try lock tight or using a wrench in a spring compressor to rule out a loose strut nut.
I'm starting to think Steeda camber plates are just plain noisy. I have the issue as well and even after having Steeda technicians look at it and reassemble my struts... there is a sound and feeling in the wheel when moving slowly over bumps. I've been told it's my tires? I'm no expert... but my Sumitomo's are very highly rated for comfort and road noise ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Sponsored

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
You do the install yourself? You need to make sure you clock the bushings or you’ll get some clunking if it’s lowered.

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
You do the install yourself? You need to make sure you clock the bushings or you’ll get some clunking if it’s lowered.
Please explain? Which Bushings? My car didn't do this until I had someone install the steeda camber plates.

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
It’s mostly for the rear. When you have the car level with the weight on it before tightening all the bolts. My was clunking and then I read a post about clocking the bushings so we put the car on ramps and loosened everything and retorqued everything and it went away.

OP
OP
Monica_Stang

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Performance pack
Hey guys. Thanks for the help. I’ll update when I have time to look at things tomorow. Taking everything into consideration though. Much appreciated

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Hey guys. Thanks for the help. I’ll update when I have time to look at things tomorow. Taking everything into consideration though. Much appreciated
You solve the problem?
Sponsored