Sponsored

Suspension advice to improve highway confidence

Augster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Been enjoying my 2016 GT 6-spd (non-PP). This thing is a beast.

I drive mostly highway and enjoy the occasional on ramp WOT getaway merge. What I have noticed is as I get into the powerband I feel the car sit up and almost seems like it's tie toeing on the edge of loosing traction. I get the same feeling when downshifting and passing someone even on straight stretches of road. I have zero performance mods, completely stock.

Question for the forum brain trust:
There are a million different suspension option out there. I'm not looking to heavily modify my suspension, but what options are avlb to eliminate that feeling?

I want to be able to downshift, smash the gas, and not feel like I'm on the verge of losing traction.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I'm not sure how close you are to Steeda but I would talk to them and if close enough go over there. I have a host of Steeda suspension mods on my car that has completely transformed the driving experience. To start with though, it may be as simple as a better alignment. Steeda can advise and help though.

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

I drive mostly highway and enjoy the occasional on ramp WOT getaway merge. What I have noticed is as I get into the powerband I feel the car sit up and almost seems like it's tie toeing on the edge of loosing traction. I get the same feeling when downshifting and passing someone even on straight stretches of road. I have zero performance mods, completely stock.

There are a million different suspension option out there. I'm not looking to heavily modify my suspension, but what options are avlb to eliminate that feeling?

I want to be able to downshift, smash the gas, and not feel like I'm on the verge of losing traction.

Thanks in advance!
Call Kelly at BMR he specializes in our cars and he is loaded with info. 813-986-9302

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, depending on where you are ... we can get you into take a look at our Mustangs with an upgraded suspension.

Depending on how much you want to go ... we can look at the springs & the fixed valve shocks.

The springs will provide a great ride quality & improve the overall stance of the car.

Other benefits include a better steering response, vehicle handling and stability.

Paired with the Fixed valve shocks ... we have seen a great amount of success with ride quality & transforming the car.

Happy to put you in contact with one of our suspension experts to help get you situated without breaking the budget - we also have forum discounts.

Best Regards,

TJ

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT

Thanks in advance!
I just installed Steeda's progressive springs and their subframe bushing kit and the car feels SO much more planted. I see you said you don't want to heavily modify your suspension so I think even with just these two mods you will be very happy.

I should also add that the subframe bushings added zero NVH from what I can tell and helped greatly with wheel hop.

Sponsored

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible

Thanks in advance!
Lots of stuff can be bought and installed on the S550. But before you do that can you describe the "feeling". I mean what is tie toeing? Was the car swerving? Was it rocking, or bouncing? You mention this happening while passing and on on ramps. So it feels like its about to slide sideways? Are the tires howling or quiet when this happens? Is there any body roll you notice?

Have you changed tires/wheels. Stock tires are pretty narrow unless you have the PP which you indicate you don't have.

So tell us more about the issue...

OP
OP
Augster

Augster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Lots of stuff can be bought and installed on the S550. But before you do that can you describe the "feeling". I mean what is tie toeing? Was the car swerving? Was it rocking, or bouncing? You mention this happening while passing and on on ramps. So it feels like its about to slide sideways? Are the tires howling or quiet when this happens? Is there any body roll you notice?

Have you changed tires/wheels. Stock tires are pretty narrow unless you have the PP which you indicate you don't have.

So tell us more about the issue...
Stock 20" foundry wheels with PZero summer tires (265/35/20).

The car feels light. Literally feels like the entire car is being lifted (front & back) causing less weight over the rear wheels. Making it seem like the back end is going to get loose. It hasn't gotten lose, no bouncing, no rocking, or swerving, but feels on the verge of loosing traction. This happens even on flat straight stretches of road. Has done this since day one (car purchased new).

Maybe this is normal, but I never felt anything like this in other cars. My previous car was an Audi S5 (v8 6-spd). It had quattro AWD but I never felt the car get light under full power at high speed. I've gotten it up to 145 mph as a non-event.

The Mustang does have +80 hp more than the Audi and only 2-wheel drive, but I expected it to feel planted.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Stock 20" foundry wheels with PZero summer tires (265/35/20).

The car feels light. Literally feels like the entire car is being lifted (front & back) causing less weight over the rear wheels. Making it seem like the back end is going to get loose. It hasn't gotten lose, no bouncing, no rocking, or swerving, but feels on the verge of loosing traction. This happens even on flat straight stretches of road. Has done this since day one (car purchased new).

Maybe this is normal, but I never felt anything like this in other cars. My previous car was an Audi S5 (v8 6-spd). It had quattro AWD but I never felt the car get light under full power at high speed. I've gotten it up to 145 mph as a non-event.

The Mustang does have +80 hp more than the Audi and only 2-wheel drive, but I expected it to feel planted.
Could it be because of the dreaded wheel hop? If the car is still going straight, it shouldn't be harmful, per se.

From my experience, to get rid of the floaty feel at least you'll want an LCA bearing and bushing support.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Could it be because of the dreaded wheel hop? If the car is still going straight, it shouldn't be harmful, per se.

From my experience, to get rid of the floaty feel at least you'll want an LCA bearing and bushing support.
This. The wobbly feeling and lack of confidence stems from the rear suspension, and from more than the springs and shocks.

Stabilizing the IRS cradle is a game changer for how much more confidence-inspiring the car feels, particularly when putting power down. Better shocks complete it.

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Augster, shoot me a PM and I will give you the low down on our rear subframe. And what parts to get. One that is a must and my first is the BMR CB005 Cradle Lockout Kit. BMR invented it and the rest have copied it. Make sure you get BMRs version. I have pulled our suspension over a dozen times and ended up with one bad ass car. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
This. The wobbly feeling and lack of confidence stems from the rear suspension, and from more than the springs and shocks.

Stabilizing the IRS cradle is a game changer for how much more confidence-inspiring the car feels, particularly when putting power down. Better shocks complete it.
I felt that way, too, the rear of the car is so loose that it's dangerous, I spun it out three times and nearly shat myself that it would loose control so easily. Steeda's IRS supports/diff bushings/IRS brace, and their "drag" rear away bar fixed me up really good.

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
I've had great luck with the BMR CB005 and the Steeda Pro Action non-adjustable shocks and struts. I have the stock base GT springs and these work very well with them. I'ce posted a review elsewhere in this forum on this setup.

As you research this, you'll note some people wish they could add some compliance back to their suspension after they do a ton of mods. A lot of this is folks get caught up in mod-mania and want the *best* handling car out there. Be careful with changing the springs out and make sure you know what you are in for before you pull the trigger. Also be mindful of swapping out sway bars, and of course, bushings. These all affect stiffness and can make your car miserable. Or fantastic.

It depends on what your goals are.

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
I just installed Steeda's progressive springs and their subframe bushing kit and the car feels SO much more planted. I see you said you don't want to heavily modify your suspension so I think even with just these two mods you will be very happy.

I should also add that the subframe bushings added zero NVH from what I can tell and helped greatly with wheel hop.
This is exactly what I did but I also added the subframe alignment kit. Well worth the $40. I did the install myself. Never really did suspension before but got through it. Wasn't too bad.

I'm the same as the OP. Just a cruising car zero track days. An occasional WOT pull from time to time. Perfect balance with these mods.

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I am on 325/30/19s BFG RE-11s they make a huge difference also. That size gives less sidewall flex thus stability. If you are on drag radials they are not going to as stable since the sidewall flex will show on high speeds. Again get with BMR and you will have no more worries.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Honestly, I'd start with better tires if you still have OEM tires. The Pirelli's are odd.

For a basic suspension package, but excellent results:
- Steeda IRS alignment pins
- Steeda IRS subframe supports
- Steeda Progressive springs

I would not go further until you identify a specific need. You can checkout my build log for what I've done, which is a lot more extreme, and it still rides fine on the street.
Sponsored