Sponsored

Surging idle when cold

Lebowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
After nearly a year and 11,000 miles with my little midlife crisis, I finally have a problem I need help with that I couldn't find on a search of the forum...
When I start the car for the first time when it's cold, and by cold I mean first thing in the morning when ambient temperature is about 70 to 75°, the idle seems to surge from around 600 rpm to around 1100 rpm. After about five minutes or the first couple of miles, the surging seems to stop. The car doesn't actually die but seems to come close to it before the idle surges back up above 1000.
The only problem is I've experienced a car in the first year of ownership are replacement of an air conditioning sensor/switch, and getting used to using oil at a rate of about 1000 miles per quart :doh:
The only modification I have done that I think would remotely be related could be a recent addition of an Amsoil air filter instead of the stock paper filter. Any feedback you all could provide would be appreciated. The dealer I use for service is a rather inconvenient 45 minute drive away, and I like to at least have an idea to point them in a direction before taking it in if it isn't something obvious.
Thanks!

...obligatory first post photo attached!:)
IMG_2091.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

bullittman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350 chassis 0387
Make sure the filter is COMPLETLY around the inlet bell and tight.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
And put it back to the last configuration that worked (put old filter back on)

Post results

Krogen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White & Blue Stripes
How about the gas you put in? I messed up and pushed the 87 button once. I had similar behavior only when the engine was warmed up. Next fillup I used the usual 92 and the problem stopped.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Surging only at idle? How is it driving? If it is only at idle it may be a stuck cam solenoid.

OP
OP

Lebowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Thanks everyone for the suggestions...
Unfortunately I didn't keep the stock filter because it was already saturated with bugs, dirt, and small animals at only 10K miles and my dealer didn't have one in stock. Amsoil is local to me and I remembered reading that some here were using one of their filters so I picked one up mostly for convenience.
The Amsoil filter fits a bit loose over the intake tube bell and the filter doesn't have guides around the end to retain and keep the band clamp aligned while tightening. My filter looked ok from the top, but the band clamp was not seated well at the bottom of the filter causing some air to leak by... after removing it and reinstalling it the band clamp lines up better and seems to be sealing which fixed the idle surging problem.
Thank you all for the help... I'm happy it was something simple this time as lately I seem to have a target on my back for everything else in my personal life!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
the band clamp was not seated well at the bottom of the filter causing some air to leak by... after removing it and reinstalling it the band clamp lines up better and seems to be sealing which fixed the idle surging problem.

Make sure the filter is COMPLETLY around the inlet bell and tight.
We have a winner! :thumbsup:

I was close but no cigar. :doh:

OP
OP

Lebowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Thanks again to ALL you guys for the suggestions...
I usually steer clear of forums because things get so petty and full of trolls, but this one anyway is refreshingly helpful.
:cheers: to you ALL!
Aaron
Sponsored