Sponsored

Supercharger guys which motor oil Brand, type, and weight are you running?

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
Hey guys. I have seen a few thread recently of supercharged guys destroying bearings and it is time to change my oil so I am curious what everyone is running for engine oil. On this last go around I went with Royal Purple 5W30. I had asked Whipple what they recommend and they said go with 5W30 weight but that the brand didn't really matter. Just curious what you all are running and what thoughts you have on any research you have done. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
LOL..Ooh no!!! here we go again:popcorn:this is going to be fraught with misinformation! and I like pink oil, but blue is better and purple gives best protection for sure.

My opinion based of research and data from an engineer who tested most available oils and has been in the racing scene for many years. https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Oil viscosity: Unless your racing in track events where long periods of sustained engine rpm and loads, then stick with stock 5-20. Heavier oil will only take longer on the street to thin and provide maximum flow and protection. High oil pressure is not the goal, but rather flow.

Oil protection: The job of oil is to prevent metal to metal contact (shear protection) under its viscousty range which is effected by oil temps. Pick the one that best accomplishes this task. This should be easy, but marketing hype and oil claim propaganda is everywhere and finding the truth about an oils abilities and claims can't be taken from the industry or manufactures of oil. I went with an independent study (540ratblog) link above with extensive oil shear testing testing and analysis. I would believe this data over anyone's opinions here or the snake oil sales pitch of name brand oils propaganda. Don't get me wrong not saying that all name brand oils are shit, but rather not to trust there claims or people who say I've always run X brand and never had any problems:headbonk: shear protection is the purpose of oil and the additive package in the oil is what gives oil it's shear protection, not its name recognition, or cost. There are oils out there that cost half the price of the Popular brand name oils that offer much better shear protection. Read the blog and test data above, you will learn something I'm sure:thumbsup:

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Yeah...this will turn into another long one...anyway..I'm running 5w-30 Amsoil Signature Series.

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
Mobil One 10 w 30 ..

OP
OP

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
I know it will guys but hoping to get some good info from some knowledgable people before it does. Thanks for the link Shawn I will read that blog thoroughly. I do find it interesting though that even the folks at Whipple told me run 5w30 over the stock 20. Certainly they have done some R&D on this type of stuff and have actually seen better results with the thicker oil.

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I know it will guys but hoping to get some good info from some knowledgable people before it does. Thanks for the link Shawn I will read that blog thoroughly. I do find it interesting though that even the folks at Whipple told me run 5w30 over the stock 20. Certainly they have done some R&D on this type of stuff and have actually seen better results with the thicker oil.
My case in point is oil recommendations are subjective and you will not get the same answer from 5 people working at the same place. I asked Dustin Whipple the owner the same question about oil recommendations and he said he would not be comfortable running anything other than the stock oil weight as that's what they used in there durability testing with:shrug:

ColtonimusPrime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Redline 5w30 here

itzqwk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt premium pp 401a
quaker state ultimate durability synthetic 5w20...per 540 rat data mentioned above...shawn, do you still use this oil:gossip:

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
quaker state ultimate durability synthetic 5w20...per 540 rat data mentioned above...shawn, do you still use this oil:gossip:
Yes, but I switched to the 0-20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability synthetic, it's one of the newest and highest rated oil in the shear test. I also live in the North where my temps in spring and fall are in the 30-40's and summer is short and not to hot.

OP
OP

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
Yes I see that this tested very well in 540 Rat's blog. I guess I will be running this then. Any clue where I can get it locally?

Is there a reason I shouldn't run the 0w20 in VA? It is not that cold here and does get warmer in spring, summer, and fall. i would think the 0w oil would be better for when it is cold in the winter and I do drive the car even when it is colder out.

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Yes I see that this tested very well in 540 Rat's blog. I guess I will be running this then. Any clue where I can get it locally?

Is there a reason I shouldn't run the 0w20 in VA? It is not that cold here and does get warmer in spring, summer, and fall. i would think the 0w oil would be better for when it is cold in the winter and I do drive the car even when it is colder out.
I see no reason if your not tracking your car. Yes the 0-20 will thin out a bit more than the 5-20, but it's so minimal, and moot point really.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quaker-State-Ultimate-Durability-0W20-Motor-Oil-5-qt/36250522

Last edited:

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
LOL..Ooh no!!! here we go again:popcorn:this is going to be fraught with misinformation! and I like pink oil, but blue is better and purple gives best protection for sure.

My opinion based of research and data from an engineer who tested most available oils and has been in the racing scene for many years. https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Oil viscosity: Unless your racing in track events where long periods of sustained engine rpm and loads, then stick with stock 5-20. Heavier oil will only take longer on the street to thin and provide maximum flow and protection. High oil pressure is not the goal, but rather flow.

Oil protection: The job of oil is to prevent metal to metal contact (shear protection) under its viscousty range which is effected by oil temps. Pick the one that best accomplishes this task. This should be easy, but marketing hype and oil claim propaganda is everywhere and finding the truth about an oils abilities and claims can't be taken from the industry or manufactures of oil. I went with an independent study (540ratblog) link above with extensive oil shear testing testing and analysis. I would believe this data over anyone's opinions here or the snake oil sales pitch of name brand oils propaganda. Don't get me wrong not saying that all name brand oils are shit, but rather not to trust there claims or people who say I've always run X brand and never had any problems:headbonk: shear protection is the purpose of oil and the additive package in the oil is what gives oil it's shear protection, not its name recognition, or cost. There are oils out there that cost half the price of the Popular brand name oils that offer much better shear protection. Read the blog and test data above, you will learn something I'm sure:thumbsup:
I want to clarify again so its clear. I'm not suggesting that some of the major brand oils that are expensive and well known around here can not provide good shear protection, but rather that some do not perform well in the shear test at all, and some perform lower than less expensive oil brands.