Sponsored

stripped lug nut and broken spline key...What are my options?

blkstang50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So several months ago I had new tires put on.. I have a slow leak in my front tire. When a shop tried to remove it my key snapped in half they happened to have another just like it but that one started to bend, Apparently my lugs were overtightened. They are inner spline (female)..

What are my options? Even If I order the lug set from AM again just for the new key? Should I take it to Ford?

Here is the lug set so you guys have an idea http://www.americanmuscle.com/6spline-lugnuts-black-1516.html
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I know those look cool, but I promise that'll happen again.

Take them all off, get Gorilla "The System" lugs and never have a problem again.

OP
OP
blkstang50

blkstang50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Take them all off, get Gorilla "The System" lugs and never have a problem again.
I already bought a new set of lugs nothing like these shitty AM ones.. I need to find a way to get them off!

jester1x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost - Base, Oxford White, 6MT
You may want to try the socket method. Just hammer a slightly smaller diameter socket over the lug nut so that it digs into it enough to remove it.

Using any other method to remove the lug nuts will probably damage your wheels.

Last edited:

HavasuCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Base, Competition Orange
McGard wheel locks or Ford. Had both and never any issues. I don't feel the need to have a wheel lock on each stud.
Good luck

Sponsored

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
they make a wheel lock removal tool. local parts store should have it for a few bucks.

Lost Cosmonaut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Fastback - Oxford White
This happened to me many years ago on the last locking nut I had to remove, took one of those sockets with the spring loaded rods inside that allow it to conform to different sizes of bolts and hammered it on. It worked, but ruined the nut and the socket of course.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
He has a lug that has a torx bit inside and is round outside. Hammering a socket onto it will be tough.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Vice grips and something over the end of them for leverage?

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
If all else fails and the lug sticks out far enough I have heard of people mig welding a cheap socket of the right size to the end of the offending lug nut and simply wrenching it off. Make sure you spray the wheel with spatter guard first.

Don't buy crappy lug nuts. McGard is good stuff.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT

Will these fit aftermarket wheels with the smaller diameter mounting holes for instance Velgen. I have been searching for over a week for a good set with a wider 60 degree face. Those splined ones a cj, lmr,AM look like they cant handle 150ftlbs.

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Will these fit aftermarket wheels with the smaller diameter mounting holes for instance Velgen. I have been searching for over a week for a good set with a wider 60 degree face. Those splined ones a cj, lmr,AM look like they cant handle 150ftlbs.
Not an expert on this but I believe for aftermarket wheels and lugs you want 100-110ftlbs. 150 is for factory wheels and lugs. It's been talked about here a lot just gotta go find the threads lol
Sponsored