Sponsored

Stock Z06 ran 9.98 quarter

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Seems like a waste to take a car like that and use it as a blunt instrument of straight line speed. But to each their own.

And it's fast compared to other stock NA vehicles, but probably not the fastest. And definitely not the fastest if you include vehicles with power adders from the factory.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Nothing wrong with wanting a quarter mile moster. If thatā€™s what one is after, no need for a Z06, Gt350, Gt500, etc. Really hard to beat a Gt, fiā€™d, and proper setup. Performande and cost. The Z06 is a great car though.

Seems like a waste to take a car like that and use it as a blunt instrument of straight line speed. But to each their own.

And it's fast compared to other stock NA vehicles, but probably not the fastest. And definitely not the fastest if you include vehicles with power adders from the factory.

OP
OP
Balr14

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I just think it's impressive for a relatively heavy car with a relatively small engine, in stock form.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I attribute it more to modern engineering. Still cool.

I just think it's impressive for a relatively heavy car with a relatively small engine, in stock form.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I agree for a 2 seat all aluminum car, the C8 is somewhat piggy. But that engine makes good power and there's a lot of weight on the rear tires. Plus, much as I think a DCT would be boring to drive, they can shift super fast.

Nothing wrong with wanting a quarter mile moster. If thatā€™s what one is after, no need for a Z06, Gt350, Gt500, etc. Really hard to beat a Gt, fiā€™d, and proper setup. Performande and cost. The Z06 is a great car though.
Hopefully after running the 1/4 a few times, it is taken to the road course.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I can tell you with certainty, a dct is not boring to drive. :captain:

I agree for a 2 seat all aluminum car, the C8 is somewhat piggy. But that engine makes good power and there's a lot of weight on the rear tires. Plus, much as I think a DCT would be boring to drive, they can shift super fast.

Hopefully after running the 1/4 a few times, it is taken to the road course.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
The power that is relatively easily attainable these days is truly remarkable.

I guess it shows how old I am. In the 60s, I ran gas/supercharged classes and never hit 9s. So, a stock NA car doing it just blows my mind.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I can tell you with certainty, a dct is not boring for me to drive. :captain:
I fixed that for you. Sorry but automatics bore me. I'm sure having loads of power would mitigate it slightly, but I feel like my soul is withering away when I'm forced to drive a vehicle with an automatic.

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
Technically a dct isnā€™t an automatic.

I fixed that for you. Sorry but automatics bore me. I'm sure having loads of power would mitigate it slightly, but I feel like my soul is withering away when I'm forced to drive a vehicle with an automatic.

OP
OP
Balr14

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I used to feel that way and it takes awhile to get over it. It probably took two years to go from "I miss a manual transmission" to "I really don't like manual transmissions any more". You would need to drive a high performance turbo motor car with a manual transmission and the same model with an automatic to appreciate the difference. It's not just acceleration, it's also sound and shift feel. Once you experience that, you don't want to go back.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Technically a dct isnā€™t an automatic.
The internal mechanisms are definitely different than a traditional automatic transmission.

I used to feel that way and it takes awhile to get over it. It probably took two years to go from "I miss a manual transmission" to "I really don't like manual transmissions any more". You would need to drive a high performance turbo motor car with a manual transmission and the same model with an automatic to appreciate the difference. It's not just acceleration, it's also sound and shift feel. Once you experience that, you don't want to go back.
I've driven an M4 with a DCT. I'm definitely not going to suffer for 2 years trying to get used to it to see whether I will all of a sudden change an opinion that formed over 40+ years of driving.
I owned a 1965 Ford 250 for a few years and really enjoyed the granny gear 4 on the floor. It took me a while to learn how to use it properly. Much more difficult than a typical new car. I don't like a manual because I think it's fast. I like a manual because I think it's fun.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I canā€˜t argue with your logic because Iā€™m the same way. My trucks use to all be manuals(towed alot) but modern power trains have changed that sentiment for me. I will say my 500 with a dct is much more manageable then my 350 with 700hp. Iā€™m fortunate, I have both, so I get to enjoy both setups.

The internal mechanisms are definitely different than a traditional automatic transmission.

I've driven an M4 with a DCT. I'm definitely not going to suffer for 2 years trying to get used to it to see whether I will all of a sudden change an opinion that formed over 40+ years of driving.
I owned a 1965 Ford 250 for a few years and really enjoyed the granny gear 4 on the floor. It took me a while to learn how to use it properly. Much more difficult than a typical new car. I don't like a manual because I think it's fast. I like a manual because I think it's fun.
Sponsored