Sponsored

Stock GT Exhaust on V6 Mustang

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
That is a damn good question. I think it's because of the ecoboost, between the pipes and a factory tune adjustment. they wanted the car at 300hp, a small tune and GT pipes and i bet it produced more then 310 hp.
Sponsored

OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Probably cost related. Though I would imagine it costs more to have 2 different exhaust systems being made than 1 universal one for the V6 and GT. There could be back pressure issues we aren't aware of, but I feel that the resonator takes care of that well enough.

Gooner86

ARSENA1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red V6
Probably cost related. Though I would imagine it costs more to have 2 different exhaust systems being made than 1 universal one for the V6 and GT. There could be back pressure issues we aren't aware of, but I feel that the resonator takes care of that well enough.
Yea I thought it would be cheaper to mass produce 1 exhaust for both v8's and v6's.

Anyway, anyone notice drone at 70 to 80mph cruising? If there is no drone I may consider asking the Tampa V8 folks for one of their unused exhausts.

OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I've noticed no drone cruising at those speeds. Then again, my cars been at the dealership for 2 weeks now, so I may have forgotten.

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
I don't notice any drone. I think it's pretty solid thru the whole rpm range. and if you don't like it the most your out is 100$ and an hour of your time. plus you keep your old v6 system and you can put it back on in 4-5 years when you sell it with a new exhaust! lol

Sponsored

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
Anyway, anyone notice drone at 70 to 80mph cruising? If there is no drone I may consider asking the Tampa V8 folks for one of their unused exhausts.
No drone, only time i hear the exhaust is when i am getting on it. Still makes me wonder way ford didn't make this exhaust an option to make a little more on each V6:rant:

filmamigo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang V6 fastback
After running the GT exhaust for about six months, I agree with everyone else.

- a tiny bit louder overall, going from SILENT with the stock pipes to "I can actually hear it" with the GT pipes
- improved bass tone on startup, idle and pulling in low RPM
- nice tone and moderate volume as you wind the Cyclone up past 5,000 rpm
- absolutely no drone at any speeds. I'm sensitive to this, I had Roush axelbacks on my 2012 and the drone made me crazy

There was a nice improvement right away, but the whole sound seemed to settle in after another 1000 miles. (This was a like-new GT takeoff that hadn't seen any miles.)

The whole sound is similar to my 2000 V6, which had a nice burble at cruising speed. Ford should definitely offer this as stock, or part of the 051A package.

I'm going to add a cold air intake (likely Roush) and am curious how the two will sound together. Anyone compared GT exhaust only VS. GT exhaust + cold air intake?

rlwest01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2015 Mustang V6 Convertible
I just recently installed a h pipe with the GT exhaust. The incremental sound volume increase going from stock to GT pipes is about the same incremental increase by adding the h pipe in my opinion. Sounds good throughout the rpm range. I haven't heard any drone but then again I haven't driven with the top up ;). I also have shorties which really smooths out the tone. I think I'm finally done messing around exhaust now...until next month.

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
Anyone have this problem?!?! It's a weird one, Put the GT pipes on at ~900 miles, look great, sound great perfect. at ~1550 miles... I'm getting a rattle at 1700-2000 rpm's. I got under the car while it was on ramps, got my head right next to it and had my gf slowly rev it from 0-3000 rpms, and right at 1700-2000 rpm's. it makes almost like a buzzing rattle. I would almost think it was metal on metal... so i loosened the bolts and put the jack on the resonator and wiggled the whole thing making sure it's not touching any metal. tightened everything back up nice an straight and checked to make sure it's only touching rubber.... still there. It's really bugg'n me out. lol. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Might be something inside the resonator jarred loose a little. Could be something mechanical that's resonating through to the exhaust. With the deeper bass comes some more vibration. I'd say to just keep an ear out got anything getting worse. But try not to hyper focus on it.

Sponsored

Mov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6
I just picked up a set of GTs yesterday for free from a buddy. I can hear a slight change in sound and everything performance wise is sto ck. I probably won't mess with it more till I get a CAI and other mods the maybe LT headers

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Finally got a chance to put the gt exhaust on. I must say it sounds much nicer in person than in any video. Install was pretty easy since me and my dad used a lift. Overall I really think every v6 owner should put a GT exhaust on unless you are buying aftermarket.

MadMB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang v6
After having the GT exhaust on for a month, my feelings are still positive. However, the weight of the GT systems is heavier than the V6 system and this is my only negative mark. Beyond that still pleased, just thinking about dropping some weight to counter the added lbs.

X0AYHAM0X

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 V6
I got an x-pipe with GT mufflers, gonna have the x-pipe replaced with H-pipe.
Will let you guys know how it sounds, hoping it wouldn't be as raspy!
Sponsored