Sponsored

Standard lug nut torque is INSANE! (HUGE doubts from Europe!)

Mike Delo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP European specs
Hello to everyone!
I was checking my spacers and wheels torque after the mechanic mounted them (with new tires).
I checked the torque setting on the manual and it's INSANE!!
150ft/lbs?? 204Nm for metric measure??!!!
I called a wheels producer, the spacers producer (they produce the studs for Eibach) and the mechanic and all of them told me that this value is really strange and strongly recomended me not to use this torque!!!

All of them told me those facts:

-This is a torque for large and heavy trucks.

-There is not a single sport or super car that use this torque, also Ferrari, Lamborghini (and we know them very well here in Italy) or Porsche, with 14mm studs, or motorsports cars, don't use this. The average torque is 100ft/lbs, just like previous Mustangs, including Shelbys!

-They say that it's impossible to use spacers with this torque, they surely crack, and even if I told them that many of you use 150 for wheels and 90 for spacers, the fact is 150 is the torque on spacers' studs! so this is pointless! In addition to this it has no sense to torque spacers and wheels with this difference; spacers has to be torqued to 10% less that wheels. 90 for spacers is correct.

-The studs producer says that this is almost the physic limit of the steel studs, you can torque in this way one time but after 2-3 times you'll have damage.

-This is pretty much the only car on the world that use this torque.

-The 99% of tire repairer or mechanics that use air pistols to torque the lug nuts are calibrated around 90-100ft/lbs, this is the standard torque of those machineries, and I can't believe that the most of 2015+ mustangs around the world are going to loose their wheels because, frankly, the owners that check the torque on their wheels are absolutely a minority.

So, can someone give me a clear explanation for this crazy torque??? someone in Ford maybe? an ingeneer would be great!

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The 15+ has 14mm lugs instead of 12mm. The big trucks use same lugs as the mustangs to save cost.
I have been using 120ft.lbs and they are not loosening up.
From factory they are torqued to between 100-110 I think because I had to replace a faulty wheel.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
The new studs on the 15+ S550's are 14mm and are torqued to this 150ft/lb as per the Ford spec.

They are not going to lie. My new aftermarket wheels are torque by hand, by me to 150ft/lbs.

John S.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Performance Pack
I torque my spacers and my wheels to 150ft/lbs. I've driven the car very hard during an autoX in which I went over 1g laterally in both directions and over 1g braking. My wheels and spacers are completely fine. No cracks, vibrations, or damage what so ever.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I'm running 20mm spacers torqued to 85 ft lbs and red loctite on the studs. My wheels are torqued to 125 ft lbs to the spacers.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mike Delo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP European specs
I'm running 20mm spacers torqued to 85 ft lbs and red loctite on the studs. My wheels are torqued to 125 ft lbs to the spacers.
Thank you for your tips.
This morning I took everything off and mounted again with the torque wrench.
I did 100 for spacers plus medium "loctite" (it's another brand, medium it's strong but not definitive, red loctite wich strenght is?)and 125 for wheels.
Hope this is ok forever!!!! This is giving me spleepless nights!

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
We normally use a 100 ft lbs here at the shop and no issues, alot of the guys we take care of on packages do it midway at 125 ft lbs, no issues.

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you're supposed to use locktite on lug studs! We actually go the other way and use anti-seize on our race cars. (don't recommend that for street cars though).

As for torque, as others have said, anywhere from 100-150 should be fine. Just check them every few days at first.

DiEzel

GTFO OG - The Professor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Premium PP
Been torqueing my aftermarket wheels (Rohana and StancE) both to 150, No issues.

If I torque to 100 ft lbs. My front brakes sqweek. 150, They shut up.

With antiseize... All lugs even street cars should get antiseize

VibeMotorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.vibemotorsports.com
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2019 F150 Shelby Super Snake
Been torqueing my aftermarket wheels (Rohana and StancE) both to 150, No issues.

If I torque to 100 ft lbs. My front brakes sqweek. 150, They shut up.

With antiseize... All lugs even street cars should get antiseize
We couldn't agree more!

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you're supposed to use locktite on lug studs! We actually go the other way and use anti-seize on our race cars. (don't recommend that for street cars though).

As for torque, as others have said, anywhere from 100-150 should be fine. Just check them every few days at first.
Depends on what kind of loctite. Don't use red ones.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Last edited:

DiEzel

GTFO OG - The Professor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Premium PP
No, no please, please use the red locktite :lol:

No, Please do - The thread would be absolutely entertaining. Anyone using red loctite on wheelstuds is absolutely insane.

Might as well bust out the welder... You're going to need a lot of heat to remove said item... IF It budges.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
No, Please do - The thread would be absolutely entertaining. Anyone using red loctite on wheelstuds is absolutely insane.

Might as well bust out the welder... You're going to need a lot of heat to remove said item... IF It budges.

lol that's what I was saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
blue loctitite ok on spacers and wheels?

The spacers I'm getting from AM call for 95 pounds for both the hub and wheel side
Sponsored