Sponsored

Spare Tire Question

mustangirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium, Race Red
I know many of you have not purchased the spare tire, but I personally will not drive without one.

Does anyone know if the spare tire from the 2015 GT base will fit the 2017 GT premium? Not sure if it makes a difference that I am going from 18' wheels to 19' because there is only 1 spare tire on the list to order....doesn't differentiate size.

I would hate to purchase another one seeing how the price has increased, when I can easily just take the one out of my 15 and use it for 17.
Sponsored

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
The only cars the OE spare tire kit will not fit is if you have the PP option (due to the size of the brake calipers).

OP
OP
mustangirl

mustangirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, oh yes forgot to mention that I will not be getting the PP.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
A slight difference in circumference won't hurt. Even if it it used on the rear, the differential won't be damaged. Just get the regular tire back on as soon as possible.

OP
OP
mustangirl

mustangirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would be surprised if the spare is an 18' anyway (never measured it, I think I'll do that today).
And of course, spare would be on only to get me off the side of the road to a tire shop!!

Sponsored

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
17, 18, 19 . . . it doesn't matter. All the OD's are approximately 27 inches and that's what's important. The spare will clear the standard GT front brakes.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
I got bored and was curious to see how my racestar skinny would serve as a spare.
I still need to find a good portable jack to throw in the trunk along with some hardware to hold the wheel down in the trunk in case i ever choose to go this route.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Miss are you really gonna pass up on the experience of a perfpack car over a spare tire?

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
how much is the 2017 spare ? I would probably just use the '15 spare. Probably not good to run a slightly different tire with LSD, but your odds of needing to use it are low.

why are you trading the car? If you want leather seats, you can do that aftermarket.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mustangirl

mustangirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17, 18, 19 . . . it doesn't matter. All the OD's are approximately 27 inches and that's what's important. The spare will clear the standard GT front brakes.
Good point, it's OD that matters :)

Miss are you really gonna pass up on the experience of a perfpack car over a spare tire?
Mister, I'm not passing up on PP for a spare lol

how much is the 2017 spare ? I would probably just use the '15 spare. Probably not good to run a slightly different tire with LSD, but your odds of needing to use it are low.

why are you trading the car? If you want leather seats, you can do that aftermarket.
spare is ~$100 more for 2017, but I have a brand spankin' new spare sitting in my trunk, so no reason to buy a new one. And as Old 5 oh mentioned, it's OD that matters. Correct, chances of needing it are low, but it's my daily and I won't take that chance

Sir

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good point, it's OD that matters :)

Mister, I'm not passing up on PP for a spare lol

spare is ~$100 more for 2017, but I have a brand spankin' new spare sitting in my trunk, so no reason to buy a new one. And as Old 5 oh mentioned, it's OD that matters. Correct, chances of needing it are low, but it's my daily and I won't take that chance

Sir
Mustangirl ...cascadia was correcting my spelling of miss I think haha.
Now you at least give a a perfpack gt a test drive. We will get you fixed up with the appropriate spare if you go that route lol

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I don't think the spare clears the Brembos on the PP. It clears standard GT brakes. The "limp home" if you got a front flat would be to move a good rear tire to the front and put the spare on the back. It'll fit, sort of, but it's wide and you wouldn't want to go banging into any steep drive approaches or making any sharp U-Turns. And Ford would never approve. But you'd get home.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats why I say "an appropriate spare". I dont have one yet for my gtpp. There's a couple out there on some different manufacturer's cars.

OP
OP
mustangirl

mustangirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangirl ...cascadia was correcting my spelling of miss I think haha.
Now you at least give a a perfpack gt a test drive. We will get you fixed up with the appropriate spare if you go that route lol
This may send many of you into a panic attack, but I'm not interested in a manual. I'm not that good of a stick driver, so if I can be one less hazard on the road, then I will be.
The car is still just as sleek looking, fast, and fun to me in an automatic.
Sponsored