Spare Tire option

Gnome

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Stang!
Down here we get the Performance Pack as standard on all GTs, it is not an option but we don't get all of it.

We have the standard LSD not the Torsen and staggered wheels,
Fronts are 19 x 9.0 with 255/40 R19 tyres and rears are 19 x9.5 with 275/40 R19 tyres. I have bought a 19x7.0 rim and fitted it with a 175/60 R19 tyre, it is the same diameter as the front wheel, still fits over the 6 pot Brembos and is only a small difference in diameter to the standard rear tyre. It fits in the wheel well but sticks up around 1/2" so the cover doesn't sit in properly but I am going to mess around with some foam under the trunk carpet to make the cover sit a bit better.

The standard 275/40/R19 tyre has a diameter of 27.7" the spare I have has a diameter of 27.3" , it works out that the if I fit this to the rear the factory wheel will do 730 revs per mile and the spare will do 740 revs per mile. From what I have read with a Torsen differential this would not be a problem, but so far I am still waiting the hear back from Ford what their position is on how far I can travel with this and what would be the max speed so that the diff is not damaged. I would not go over 50 mph in any case with a spare that is not the same size but will be interesting to see what they have to say.

For me not having a spare where I drive is simply not an option, and as this is the largest diameter wheel that will fit in the wheel well I am hoping they give it the OK, but either way if I have to use it I will for as short a time as possible to get to help.

If you can find a 19 x6.0 with the right offset that would fit even better, but to get one of those meant I had to get a custom 3 piece wheel that was $1,100.00 (Aus) just for the rim, so I went with the 7.0" which was just over $300.00 ( Aus)

I read about the guy who bought the Hyundai Equus wheel that he used in this situation, and that was my plan also, but we don't have that car here and I gave up looking online for one of them.

Hope this helps someone.
Sponsored