Sponsored

Spare Tire Cover Sliding Around In Trunk?

bbudman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Buddy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thought I would post my $3.50 fix for my spare tire cover. I keep my car cover in the trunk and since day one I have found that my spare tire cover always ends up somewhere other than where it belongs. Today I solved that problem for good.

Went to Autozone and bought a pack of 3/8" push pins. I was looking for the Christmas tree style but they didn't have them so I decided on the screw type. Also needed a long piece of Gorilla tape. Here is what I did.

First I cut a piece of Gorilla tape the length of the spare tire cover and attached it to the plastic part of the cover along the length closest to the rear seats. Next I folded it over to create a hinge and then fastened it in place part of which attached to the carpet and the rest attached to the metal under the cover.

Next I used the existing holes in the plastic housing that trims out the trunk latch and hides the bolts for the tail lights. "If you lift the trunk cover you will see the two holes I am talking about as the spare tire cover sits over top of them. I took a 3/16" drill bit and drilled two pilot holes in the cover over top of the 3/8" existing holes in the plastic housing. I then took a step bit and enlarged the holes to 3/8". Then I pushed the pins through the cover and down in to the existing holes and pressed in the screw pins.

Now my cover stays in place regardless of what is in the trunk and no matter how spirited I am driving. Anyway, I figured I would share. :cheers:
IMG_0612.jpg
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Good idea. Sometimes mine can be heard bouncing up and down if nothing is on top of it. This is a piece that will not last, I think.

OP
OP

bbudman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Buddy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yeah so far so good. I can't for the life of me figure out why Ford skimps on things like this. Seriously, how much could t possibly cost to make the cover where it latches down or just charge the $100 bucks for the trunk mat and put t in the car!

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Mine doesn't move at all...
Sponsored