Sponsored

Solo Performance GT exhaust systems review - updated with photos/videos

Which Solo Performance version do you have?

• Mach XV

Votes: 77 38.3%
  • Mach Thunder

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • Street Race

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Axleback

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • other (with header, H-pipe, etc..)

Votes: 16 8.0%

• Total voters

MNDZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My Solo Mach XV has been on the car for about 600 miles now and I'm extremely happy with it. It's not quiet, but it's not loud either. It's really deep with no raspyness at all.

It droned on the highway when first installed, but since it has broken in, that's gone completely. So no drone and a fantastic sound through the whole RPM range. Extremely happy with it!
I'm over 1000 miles with mine and sounds amazing EXCEPT definite drone from 1800 to 2000 rpms. I wish it would go away because that is my cruising rpm on the street and highway most of the time! I tried to adjust the j pipes, but they're not moving at all. I even tried using a rubber strap wrench. I'm getting some Kroil soon.... Hopefully that will move these pipes, but I doubt it.
Sponsored

shockme66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th Annv. Magnetic
I'm over 1000 miles with mine and sounds amazing EXCEPT definite drone from 1800 to 2000 rpms. I wish it would go away because that is my cruising rpm on the street and highway most of the time! I tried to adjust the j pipes, but they're not moving at all. I even tried using a rubber strap wrench. I'm getting some Kroil soon.... Hopefully that will move these pipes, but I doubt it.
I'm about 400 miles in on my XV and there is drone at the same RPM range. I even disconnected the sound tube thinking it was coming from there, but no luck. I'm hopeful that it will go away once broken in. My J-pipes looked a bit rusted on delivery; so I hope they move if needed as well.

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
If you can, hold on a little longer, I was over 1000 when mine went away. Luckily, I couldn't find the time to play with them, next thing I knew, gone

MNDZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you can, hold on a little longer, I was over 1000 when mine went away. Luckily, I couldn't find the time to play with them, next thing I knew, gone
Yeah I hope so. It has gotten better recently, but I hope it goes away completely because this exhaust sounds great.

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
:headbang:I think we all need more XV clips.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
It is interesting how everyone is views drone differently. I have not touched my j-pipes since my Thunder was delivered and I think it sounds glorious as it was delivered :)

MNDZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It is interesting how everyone is views drone differently. I have not touched my j-pipes since my Thunder was delivered and I think it sounds glorious as it was delivered :)
Mine is definitely not just how I perceive it. It is definitely drone. No doubt about it and confirmed by others.

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
Mine was definitely drone, there's no mistaking drone, it's not perception as others rode in my car and commented on it as well.

I didn't touch the J pipes because as it broke in the drone is gone.

shockme66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th Annv. Magnetic
Mine was definitely drone, there's no mistaking drone, it's not perception as others rode in my car and commented on it as well.

Mine is drone as well; it's that tone that just resonates in your ears. The horrible hum!!! I have it bad right now, just hoping the break in takes care of it.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Mine is definitely not just how I perceive it. It is definitely drone. No doubt about it and confirmed by others.

I should have stated it differently. I guess it is interesting how drone bothers people so differently across the board.

Sponsored

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
I should have stated it differently. I guess it is interesting how drone bothers people so differently across the board.
When it actually is drone it's loud and bothersome in the cabin. I only heard drone in 6th at lower rpms, it was very loud in the cabin and I would end up downshifting to stop the drone. Loud enough to not be able to have a conversation with a passenger and the passenger to ask what's wrong with your car? Is it normal? I expect to have a little more cabin noise with an aftermarket exhaust but it was way beyond that. It no longer drones.

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
When it actually is drone it's loud and bothersome in the cabin. I only heard drone in 6th at lower rpms, it was very loud in the cabin and I would end up downshifting to stop the drone. Loud enough to not be able to have a conversation with a passenger and the passenger to ask what's wrong with your car? Is it normal? I expect to have a little more cabin noise with an aftermarket exhaust but it was way beyond that. It no longer drones.
I have the same exhaust and when I installed it, it definitely droned. But now after about 700 miles, it's gone. I just went on a 200 mile trip with a passenger and we spoke the whole way without having to raise our voices or deal with any drone. How many miles do you have on yours?

Edit: just saw you said it went away once it broke in. Nevermind

Moetoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT
I have the same exhaust and when I installed it, it definitely droned. But now after about 700 miles, it's gone. I just went on a 200 mile trip with a passenger and we spoke the whole way without having to raise our voices or deal with any drone. How many miles do you have on yours?

Edit: just saw you said it went away once it broke in. Nevermind
I have the street race and zero drone around 2k I can have my radio at 7 and still hear it just fine and talk with my wife but if she pisses me off I just put the windows down and hit the gas and I can't hear a word she says it's awesome

atekido

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
There is almost no drone with the street race setup under normal driving. People need to realize there is two type of drone. Everyone will perceive drone differently as no one has the exact same hearing. Drone is from certain wavelengths of the sound harmonizing or vibrating in a way that causes the follicles on your ear drum that pic up vibrations to basically vibrate in such a way that it over takes all other sounds your able to hear if you want to get into the science of it. Of course extremely loud noises do the same but it doesn't have to be loud to be a drone. What Most people care about is under normal driving there be as little "droning" as possible. which SOlO exhaust does very well at.

The only time I really get what I myself consider drone to my ears is 75+ mph. It does get Loud and start to create some drone but that is to be expected with pretty much straight through exhaust with no mufflers. I don't mind it myself. Any speed below 75 and I have no issues holding conversations in the car.

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
There is almost no drone with the street race setup under normal driving. People need to realize there is two type of drone. Everyone will perceive drone differently as no one has the exact same hearing. Drone is from certain wavelengths of the sound harmonizing or vibrating in a way that causes the follicles on your ear drum that pic up vibrations to basically vibrate in such a way that it over takes all other sounds your able to hear if you want to get into the science of it. Of course extremely loud noises do the same but it doesn't have to be loud to be a drone. What Most people care about is under normal driving there be as little "droning" as possible. which SOlO exhaust does very well at.

The only time I really get what I myself consider drone to my ears is 75+ mph. It does get Loud and start to create some drone but that is to be expected with pretty much straight through exhaust with no mufflers. I don't mind it myself. Any speed below 75 and I have no issues holding conversations in the car.
That's a perfect description, the volume wasn't loud when I had drone but it was literally all you could hear. I could turn up the music but it didn't matter because all I could hear was the drone, that's how I knew it was drone. I expect to hear the exhaust when I get on the throttle but drone is an entirely different beast.

I'm just glad it went away once the system broke in.
Sponsored