Sponsored

Solo Performance GT exhaust systems review - updated with photos/videos

Which Solo Performance version do you have?

• Mach XV

Votes: 77 38.3%
  • Mach Thunder

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • Street Race

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Axleback

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • other (with header, H-pipe, etc..)

Votes: 16 8.0%

• Total voters

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I just wish they were T304 (or was it 409? :/) I'd happily pay more for it. These do sound very very good !
Sponsored

OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 401A PP TY
Google helmholtz resonator....been around for ever.
Will do thanks. I'm sure there is scientific background of this thing, what I meant I have never seen myself an exhaust system putting this theory in practice (at least not among the products available for the Mustang in these days)

Last edited:
OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just wish they were T304 (or was it 409? :/) I'd happily pay more for it. These do sound very very good !

As Steve has confirmed in the group buy topic, the muffler and the tips are polished t304, the 3" pipes are t409.. I think most after market exhausts are like that, except the really expensive ones. Personally I don't see the reason for doubling the price over t304 pipes...

Last edited:
OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have seen/heard the unedited video. It sounds nice and deep. Though on the unedited video it is difficult to determine the volume level. I believe that it is just a high quality microphone as you can hear a lot of road noise and can hear the car from a loong way off.
Yes the video gear had a nice looking external Mic. Anyway personally I would put the Mach between the Borla Touring and Sport somewhere (loudness wise, the tone is different), The Mach-Thunder is as loud as the Borla Attak or even a little louder. The street race will make your ear bleed :-}.... That's a straight open pipe basically (less the drone)

Last edited:

ScottyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT Base
Yes the video gear had a nice looking external Mic. Anyway personally I would put the Mach between the Borla Touring and Sport somewhere (loudness wisewise, the tone is different), The Mach-Thunder is as loud as the Borla Attack or even a little louder. The street race will make your ear bleed :-}.... That's a straight open pipe basically (less the drone)
I also really like the tone of these. It sounded pretty bassy in the cabin from the unedited video but I think it's just the microphone used. As I currently have only the h pipe delete I'm thinking This solo system had probably moved to the top of my list in terms of next mods..

Question on the j pipes. Would this hinder performance at all by robbing some of the airflow coming out? I realize we're talking 1-3 hp but still curious to the answer.

Thank you!

Sponsored

OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also really like the tone of these. It sounded pretty bassy in the cabin from the unedited video but I think it's just the microphone used. As I currently have only the h pipe delete I'm thinking This solo system had probably moved to the top of my list in terms of next mods..

Question on the j pipes. Would this hinder performance at all by robbing some of the airflow coming out? I realize we're talking 1-3 hp but still curious to the answer.

Thank you!
I have asked this question from the Solo folks, too. So (as they have explained) after the initial pressure built up in the J-pipe (as it is capped in the other end) no more fresh exhaust gases enter the J-pipe (it is sort of full already). Interesting (but true, I have checked), but even after some hard accelerations, etc.. when the exhaust pipes are really hot, the end of the J-pipe is just lukewarm (as no hot exhaust gases are circulating in it).

So basically from exhaust gases perspective the J-pipes are not even there, hence the Street Race version acts as a 3" end-to-end straight open pipe.

Sound waves do enter the J-pipe and doing their job to cancel out drone, but I don't think that would affect performance in any way.

About the Mach and Mach-Thunder, they have one center mounted muffler, which is basically a 3" encased x-pipe with louvers to create turbulence inside the X thus reducing the loudness... I am pretty sure that those are still higher flow than the factory suitcase, or most exhaust with dual mufflers at the end of the tailpipe...

Last edited:
OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sounded pretty bassy in the cabin from the unedited video but I think it's just the microphone used.
Indeed the microphone was a little sensitive. The sound in the cabin is nice and deep, rumble of the engine, but it is not invasive at all (Mach).

OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Close ups for the X-pipe (Street Race setup) and the 4,5" Polished tips (mounted on a prototype exhaust, still without the ball joint section)....

Of Wolf and Man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT
Well I pulled the trigger earlier this week and the system should be on its way. Hopefully it will be here by this weekend so I can get it installed. Thanks COYOTEV8 for the video sound clips. I'm excited for it to get here.

ScottyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT Base
Well I pulled the trigger earlier this week and the system should be on its way. Hopefully it will be here by this weekend so I can get it installed. Thanks COYOTEV8 for the video sound clips. I'm excited for it to get here.
Be sure to post a video ! I'm still trying to decide myself. It's getting colder in Phx so the h pipe only is sounding better but I think I'll eventually upgrade to this system. Sounds too good

Sponsored
OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which one have you ordered?

OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've just seen the final edited videos for the Mach and the Mach Thunder, so I expect they will be up on this site soon.

In the meantime (if someone cannot wait), I can send you a link by pm upon request (with the condition that you don't distribute it).

rainier446

Professional Amateur Tech
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
'15 OW GT/PP
My mach-thunder system arrives today. Doing my own video review etc. once it's installed.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

speedaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black base GT
Thanks to Rudy, I had a chance to listen to the unedited Mach video and I must say that it sounds pretty good! A nice deep tone with moderate volume. I'd probably opt for the Mach Thunder for a bit more loudness though, the perfect "in between" straight piped and suppressed IMO.

For us guys north of the border, Solo offers some more affordable alternatives without sacrificing quality or sound, so props to that.

Made in Canada FTW!
Sponsored