Sponsored

so why doesnt the GT350 come with.....

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
The lack of an automatic transmission for the GT350 is a glaring omission which all but precludes purchase by anyone who lives where there is stop and go traffic. Plus, a good automatic can shift faster than any human, so even the GT350R is held back by not having an automatic, at least as an option.
I make the 100 mile round trip from S OC to downtown LA with a stick 5 days a week.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The lack of an automatic transmission for the GT350 is a glaring omission which all but precludes purchase by anyone who lives where there is stop and go traffic. Plus, a good automatic can shift faster than any human, so even the GT350R is held back by not having an automatic, at least as an option.
Ha ha, precludes purchase. :lol:

Hilarious.

Yeah.. no. You have a difference of opinion. Some of us won't buy anything but a manual. I don't care if the auto gets better fuel economy. I don't care if the auto is faster. I drive stop and go every day of the week in my manual transmission Mustang. I love it - wouldn't have it any other way.

FStephenMasek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V8 '02 M-B c230K
I stopped driving manual transmission cars in southern California in 1994 and do not regret that decision. It got to the point where my left leg would hurt many days, and I was only 36 years old when I sold that car. To be clear, I'm only saying that Ford needs to offer the option, not make an automatic the only choice.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I stopped driving manual transmission cars in southern California in 1994 and do not regret that decision. It got to the point where my left leg would hurt many days, and I was only 36 years old when I sold that car. To be clear, I'm only saying that Ford needs to offer the option, not make an automatic the only choice.
Sorry to hear about your knee. I know you aren't going back to one, but FYI modern hydraulic clutches are a lot better.

I would hope that Ford will offer an automatic as an option on the GT500. As a big-powered vehicle more intended for straight line activities it is more natural for an automatic.

Eventually I expect DCT stuff will migrate down to less expensive cars such as Fords, so that will be good for people like you who want that.

Br725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Prem/PP/ruby red/premier int.
If it had all of that stuff in addition to what it already has, it'd cost more, then people would bitch about it being too expensive. Either way someone will be unhappy with whatever is offered, whether it be too much or too little.

Sponsored

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I was really pissed it didn't come with a coffee maker.
Save me trips to coffee shop. LMFAO

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
When Ford either starts to manufacture their own affordable DCT or partners with someone who has started producing affordable ones that are durable and reliable...like how they sourced their carbon wheels then we'll start to see that tech trickle into their more attainable performance cars ...Mustangs.

It might not be too far away.

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
Did I mention that I'm 53?

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
^The "R" is targeting the Track. The Weight reduction and omission of other things make it so. Heck if I were tracking it that much I would ditch the passenger seat as well.

The GT350 is targeting performance enthusiasts.

If i were to do it right and didn't care what the wife thinks...I would buy two. A GT350 Tech pack and the bare bones "R".

Sponsored

Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
1987 LX coupe(and others), 14 Escape
Dont flame me for asking, but im really wondering why if the GT350 costs more, why doesnt it come with some of the things the GT does come with.

thanks
In a word, weight. Of course, cost plays in just as much, but they'll more easily claim an intent to save weight. I was thinking I've seen some pictures showing so much lighting up front, it had fogs integrated into the lights under the headlights. It's odd, as I've seen half clear and half orange or just all orange. Speakers, no big deal. The interior is only so big. Park assist ... it's got the camera, what else do we need? I get the wonder, but it's no biggie in my mind. My Escape had BLIS and I missed it for about 3 weeks when I traded it for my truck. I'd like lane departure prevention more.

Since I have a "bad" foot and 2 damaged knees and now, arthritis, I no longer buy manual transmission models either. It will likely be the reason I won't buy the GT350 too, but we'll see. I would certainly like to see Ford step up to the BETTER version of transmissions... indeed.

Yeah.. no. You have a difference of opinion. Some of us won't buy anything but a manual. I don't care if the auto gets better fuel economy. I don't care if the auto is faster. I drive stop and go every day of the week in my manual transmission Mustang. I love it - wouldn't have it any other way.
Most people, not just a few, are the polar opposite of you on this topic. In fact, most vehicles sold in America anymore are not available w/ a manual because most people don't want one. Ford has been steadfast w/ manual only top performance models since the 1993(earlier really) Cobra and because of that, I've always passed on those models. I'm hardly the only one to take the pass.

Automatics are better, period. More efficient, driver friendly and capable overall. Today, a top performance automatic will have paddle shifters and full manual mode.

but FYI modern hydraulic clutches are a lot better.
Than what? Ya mean better than old ones?

I would hope that Ford will offer an automatic as an option on the GT500. As a big-powered vehicle more intended for straight line activities it is more natural for an automatic.
Eh... no logical reason exists to not offer auto's on all the models.

Eventually I expect DCT stuff will migrate down to less expensive cars such as Fords, so that will be good for people like you who want that.
In time, I hope Ford gets w/ the program there.

I was really pissed it didn't come with a coffee maker.
Save me trips to coffee shop. LMFAO
Nah... you'd still have to buy filters and grounds and... water! :lol:

When Ford either starts to manufacture their own affordable DCT or partners with someone who has started producing affordable ones that are durable and reliable...like how they sourced their carbon wheels then we'll start to see that tech trickle into their more attainable performance cars ...Mustangs.

It might not be too far away.
The GT gets a DCT, right? I'm expecting that to hold up wonderfully, albeit surely expensive. They offer one in the Focus or Fiesta... who knows... anyway, those are low end models and at least with them, Ford is gaining experience w/ that style.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The super car GT or the mustang GT? The standard mustang GT does not have a DCT

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Most people, not just a few, are the polar opposite of you on this topic. In fact, most vehicles sold in America anymore are not available w/ a manual because most people don't want one. Ford has been steadfast w/ manual only top performance models since the 1993(earlier really) Cobra and because of that, I've always passed on those models. I'm hardly the only one to take the pass.
I'm glad Ford still makes cars that I enjoy driving. If they stop making manual transmission cars I might never buy another new car. I'm only one guy - they won't miss my business.

Automatics are better, period. More efficient, driver friendly and capable overall. Today, a top performance automatic will have paddle shifters and full manual mode.
Better in your opinion. I actively dislike automatics in a daily driver or a performance vehicle. I do like the automatic in my plow truck, though.

Than what? Ya mean better than old ones?
He said he quit driving a manual in '94, which would have had the old cable clutch at that time. The cables can be a PITA even for people who love manual transmissions.

Eh... no logical reason exists to not offer auto's on all the models.
I don't know Ford's reasoning. I would bet you any money that there is logic behind it, though. I understand you are upset about it.

FStephenMasek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V8 '02 M-B c230K
I'm glad Ford still makes cars that I enjoy driving. If they stop making manual transmission cars I might never buy another new car. I'm only one guy - they won't miss my business.
Not only Ford, but all of the other car makers, as manual transmissions sell in small numbers. A few days ago I saw a gorgeous white Lamborghini Huracan on a flatbed going north on I-405, then one driving south. Even those $260,000 super cars have automatic transmissions.

The car I sold in 1994 which had a manual transmission was a 1984 Pontiac J2000 LE Sunbird four door with the turbo package. I never drove one with an automatic, but suspect it would have been a poor match for that engine. Below 3,000 RPM it had little power, then it hit with close to full power. A manual transmission was just the thing to control power delivery. I was shifting that thing at redline when I sold it with 160,000 miles on it, and it was still running like new. The clutch and shifter worked very well. I replaced it with a 1994 Ford Thunderbird LX V8. One of the manual transmission cars I had before that was something quite different - a 1979 Pontiac Trans-Am with the actual Pontiac 400 engine , one of the very last made, and the WS-6 package. Changing to a Hurst shifter made a nice improvement in that car.

Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
1987 LX coupe(and others), 14 Escape

Better in your opinion. I actively dislike automatics in a daily driver or a performance vehicle. I do like the automatic in my plow truck, though.

He said he quit driving a manual in '94, which would have had the old cable clutch at that time. The cables can be a PITA even for people who love manual transmissions.

I don't know Ford's reasoning. I would bet you any money that there is logic behind it, though. I understand you are upset about it.
Look(in America) how many manufacturers offer manuals and in how many models. They're rare anymore. That said, I think a manual car will be available for the foreseeable future.

Autos are better, period. I base that comment on what each can do and today, an auto can be used exactly as if it's a manual, minus the footwork. Sure, that makes a difference in preference, but the reality is, autos are better at everything and many new ones are even lighter than their manual counterparts. I like the manual fine, but can no longer use one regularly(except in something like a big truck. Regardless, it's just not as capable.

I've never liked hydraulic clutches myself. Left to me, all manuals would still get cables. Many vehicles by 1994 though, had hydraulic clutches. Mustang was a "holdout" in that area. My recollection is, all the way back to my 1983 Ranger(1st new pickup!)... hydraulic. I'm certain that even older models of various vehicles got hydraulic, so that's why I was confused.

Ford's reasoning for a manual has been stated a few times. They believed throughout the 90's, a Cobra owner wouldn't want an auto because it would slow everything. At that time, they were correct. By the time the 2003 Cobra came about, autos were stronger and quicker. Today, they can have paddle shifters, rpm auto changes(or not) and multiple modes to handle multiple driving situations more safely.

They also cost more and this was another reason, but it's a pointless one because buyers are all but begging for an auto in the top line Mustang. A DCC done correctly will leave a manual behind every time. It's more controllable and quicker. To me, it's not about opinions, but performance and I don't care who's who, no human can outperform a top version auto with any true manual. Not even... a :ninja: or :first: ... :D
Sponsored