So this happened today...

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
With the title, was expecting to see something like this. Really a bummer man, sorry to see you take this damage. I have started just taking the approach that any car around me could do anything at any given time, I just don't trust turn signals anymore. By practicing good defensive driving is the only way that I have found to keep yourself safe in most situations, have avoided at least 10 accidents in the last year by anticipating that the driver(s) around me are going to do something that they should not. Hope they can fix the damage and have you good as new soon.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
At the very least it's an improper change of lanes which results in a ticket which means it isn't legal :headbonk:
Hasn't been established if there was more than one lane involved. Can't tell if she pulled to the right of a wide lane and then proceeded to make a U-turn. If its one lane, the OP would likely be held at least partially responsible.

In a one lane scenario, a right signal would greatly increase the percentage of responsibility on the u-turner. One reason a dash cam is a good idea.

Don't pass someone in the same lane, no matter how much space. the car in front OWNS that lane. I'm NOT saying there was one lane, just pointing out something to think about if ever in that situation.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Wow, so much anger
Stupid people usually don't realize they've done anything stupid unless it's pointed out to them, it's a public service to inform them.

OP
OP
JDVisualz

JDVisualz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Mustang GT Premium/PP
Hasn't been established if there was more than one lane involved. Can't tell if she pulled to the right of a wide lane and then proceeded to make a U-turn. If its one lane, the OP would likely be held at least partially responsib
In a one lane scenario, a right signal would greatly increase the percentage of responsibility on the u-turner. One reason a dash cam is a good idea.

Don't pass someone in the same lane, no matter how much space. the car in front OWNS that lane. I'm NOT saying there was one lane, just pointing out something to think about if ever in that situation.
It was a one lane road, but she made a move right and signaled right like she was turning onto the street which opened my path so I paid no mind and and drove ahead straight. People make uturns at this intersection all the time, but when they do they do they stay in the lane and signal left. But in this case this lady signals right even started the turn right but unfortunately what she was doing is making a wide ass uturn

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
It was a one lane road, but she made a move right and signaled right like she was turning onto the street which opened my path so I paid no mind and and drove ahead straight. People make uturns at this intersection all the time, but when they do they do they stay in the lane and signal left. But in this case this lady signals right even started the turn right but unfortunately what she was doing is making a wide ass uturn
I am pretty sure it is simply illegal to pass the vehicle in front of you, when you are in an intersection, around to the left or around to the right. Yea, we all do it sometimes. And most of the time, our belief/assumption of what the vehicle in front of us plans to do next, is correct.

This time, it just didn't play out the way you were assuming it would. :doh:

While not the norm, a lot of people (right or wrong) like to make a quick jog to the right, before turning left. This happens more often when they feel the need for some extra turning room (turning radius?).

As mentioned already, this might simply end up being a share responsibility accident. You are partial at fault. She is partial at fault. Some insurance adjuster or judge will decide the percentages.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JDVisualz

JDVisualz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am pretty sure it is simply illegal to pass the vehicle in front of you, when you are in an intersection, around to the left or around to the right. Yea, we all do it sometimes. And most of the time, our belief/assumption of what the vehicle in front of us plans to do next, is correct.

While not the norm, a lot of people (right or wrong) like to make a quick jog to the right, before turning left. This happens more often when they feel the need for some extra turning room (turning radius?).

As mentioned already, this might simply end up being a share responsibility accident. You are partial at fault. She is partial at fault. Some insurance adjuster or judge will decide the percentages.
I mean I understand what youre saying but signaling right and moving right is just giving off the impression you’re making a right turn and to make it worse she didnt even stop :doh:

Just got off the phone with my adjuster..its 13k estimated in damages but they still need to take a look at the suspension to determine if its just going to be a total loss :frusty:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
[MENTION=25124]JDVisualz[/MENTION] Who was ticketed and for what?

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP

So you are saying, when the driver signaled right and moved out of the lane, from a legal perspective the OP should have stopped in the middle of lane/intersection and waited for her to do the opposite of what her signal indicated, instead of proceeding straight in his lane, that was now clear in front of him?

The OP seems to have proceeded exactly as he should have based on the SUV drivers actions.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
So you are saying, when the driver signaled right and moved out of the lane, from a legal perspective the OP should have stopped in the middle of lane/intersection and waited for her to do the opposite of what her signal indicated, instead of proceeding straight in his lane, that was now clear in front of him?

The OP seems to have proceeded exactly as he should have based on the SUV drivers actions.
Yes, you should stop and wait. You say the OP proceeded exactly like he should have. But I don't think dealing with the aftermath of an accident supports that conclusion.

Seriously, there are reasons for laws such as the one that says do NOT pass another car in the same lane. I'll bet that many laws such as that one derive from real world experience. Its a mistake (as proved by this incident) to ignore a law because you haven't yet had the bad experience. Benefit from the mistakes others made by following the law that mitigates those mistakes. Assume there are good reasons for laws you don't happen to see a benefit from.

I know everyone chooses to break some traffic laws from time to time but if we get burned, don't blame luck or the other guy because that mindset leaves you ripe to have it happen again. You can't control luck or the other guy but you can control what YOU do.

Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Some of a b*tch, I'm pissed just looking at those pics!!!

lowatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Bring a lawyer with you if you go to court on this, they do help your chance of winning. I have a relative who had exactly this happen to him, a woman started to turn right, her car was even on the far right by this time. So my relative did what most people do and started passing her on her left, seeing how traffic there moves at around 45 and she has to drop to 5 - 10 to make the sharp turn. She changes her mind and bumps into my relative. You guessed it, my relative, assuming he didn't need a lawyer for something that appeared so obvious went to court alone, was found to be at fault for it.

OP
OP
JDVisualz

JDVisualz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, you should stop and wait. You say the OP proceeded exactly like he should have. But I don't think dealing with the aftermath of an accident supports that conclusion.

Seriously, there are reasons for laws such as the one that says do NOT pass another car in the same lane. I'll bet that many laws such as that one derive from real world experience. Its a mistake (as proved by this incident) to ignore a law because you haven't yet had the bad experience. Benefit from the mistakes others made by following the law that mitigates those mistakes. Assume there are good reasons for laws you don't happen to see a benefit from.

I know everyone chooses to break some traffic laws from time to time but if we get burned, don't blame luck or the other guy because that mindset leaves you ripe to have it happen again. You can't control luck or the other guy but you can control what YOU do.
But I did not go around or pass another car in the same lane. The SUV was already more than half way into the street I thought she was turning into since she was blinking right leaving the lane clear to move forward.

OP
OP
JDVisualz

JDVisualz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP

If you signal and move completely out of the traffic flow, you surrender any right of way you had to those who are still in the traffic flow, and there are zero laws that say you need to yield to a civilian vehicle under these circumstances.

If the SUV was still in, or partially in the lane, then yes, fault would at minimum be shared, but per the OP's claim, he didn't pass in the lane -- he continued STRAIGHT in the open lane, after the SUV signaled right and moved out of said lane.
Sponsored