Smoking brakes [Update: AC Belt Failure]

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Thanks for bringing it up. I did have the diff rebuilt at dealer recently due to leak. Will keep an eye on it.
The diff fluid will push out the vent during hard left sustained turns if over serviced. This will dump onto your right rear brake caliper and cause your right rear pads to wear much faster. Ask me how I know......

With most of these fill holes, they are just that, fill them until they are full. The diff on these mustangs is different. It is very specific in the shop service manual. Fill to 9mm below fill hole.

Note: this phenomenon probably won't occur on street driven cars because its the higher than normal G sustained left turns that push the fluid out the vent tube.
Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The diff fluid will push out the vent during hard left sustained turns if over serviced. This will dump onto your right rear brake caliper and cause your right rear pads to wear much faster. Ask me how I know......

With most of these fill holes, they are just that, fill them until they are full. The diff on these mustangs is different. It is very specific in the shop service manual. Fill to 9mm below fill hole.

Note: this phenomenon probably won't occur on street driven cars because its the higher than normal G sustained left turns that push the fluid out the vent tube.
I think my trans was overfilled because I had trans fluid leaking out of the breather which was near the driver side headers and sandwiched in that area. There is a breather, right?!? LOL. It was red fluid so... anyhow. I've been black flagged because it created black smoke is what I was told was reported by others. I've since changed the fluid out myself this time and we'll see if the issue resurfaces at Rd Atl.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I think my trans was overfilled because I had trans fluid leaking out of the breather which was near the driver side headers and sandwiched in that area. There is a breather, right?!? LOL. It was red fluid so... anyhow. I've been black flagged because it created black smoke is what I was told was reported by others. I've since changed the fluid out myself this time and we'll see if the issue resurfaces at Rd Atl.
The trans is a fill hole. As long as the vehicle is level, I dont think you can over fill it.

OP
OP
C.J.

C.J.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JIA
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Shelby GT350, 2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Update: just noticed today that the ac compressor belt is missing. Not sure if it’s the root cause.
0C521958-B249-4540-8EAC-7EBB078982C5.jpeg

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Update: just noticed today that the ac compressor belt is missing. Not sure if it’s the root cause.
0C521958-B249-4540-8EAC-7EBB078982C5.jpeg
That’s definitely a problem :)

You said in your original post there was heavy smoke behind you. I’m entirely unsure if a slipping belt would necessarily cause heavy smoke, but it could definitely be where the smell was coming from.)

Were you running the AC or did you have the the climate control on auto while you were on track? I’ve heard of other guys loosing their AC on track, but I’ve never heard what the root cause was. Maybe all the rapid rpm changes and the stress on the AC clutch and belt?

Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

You said in your original post there was heavy smoke behind you. I’m entirely unsure if a slipping belt would necessarily cause heavy smoke, but it could definitely be where the smell was coming from.)

Were you running the AC or did you have the the climate control on auto while you were on track? I’ve heard of other guys loosing their AC on track, but I’ve never heard what the root cause was. Maybe all the rapid rpm changes and the stress on the AC clutch and belt?
I track with AC but that's cause I don't mind losing it since I got Ford Protect. However, I will admit the inconvenience isn't worth the trouble but I pick my battles on track as I see fit! lol.

OP
OP
C.J.

C.J.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JIA
Vehicle(s)

I don’t remember but I assume it’s on by default. Dropped off the car at dealership today to have it fixed. Glad that I got extended warranty.

Also compared my photo with others’ on internet. Seems the AC clutch was also gone. So my assumption is that somehow the clutch failure caused seize and the belt was melted.

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
You might reconsider tracking with the AC on. A broken belt at high RPM can do lots of under hood damage to other components, including body damage in the engine bay.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
You might reconsider tracking with the AC on. A broken belt at high RPM can do lots of under hood damage to other components, including body damage in the engine bay.
Thinking the same thing. I’m not sure I’ve always been too careful to make sure it’s off. I’ll use this as a reminder.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
I noticed on the Rented Mule that there is some residue that would indicate a thrown / melted belt - not sure if it was AC or the primary serpentine. I can imagine that whatever it was caused some stinky smell and smoke, for sure.

Sponsored
OP
OP
C.J.

C.J.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JIA
Vehicle(s)
Update: dropped off the car at dealer and they found the broken belt after removed the belly pan. AC Pulley was found jammed.

The belt and AC compressor will be replaced under warranty.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Update: dropped off the car at dealer and they found the broken belt after removed the belly pan. AC Pulley was found jammed.

The belt and AC compressor will be replaced under warranty.
After you get it back and you've driven the car and tracked it a few times, take a careful look at the belt and the new compressor to make sure it's still attached as it should be. Early on in the life of GT350's, a couple of folks had their AC compressors replaced and the dealer techs didn't bother with new bolts, they just re-used the originals. Apparently, that's a no-no because the vibration from the FPC can cause the bolts to back out, damaging the new compressor. What's worse, it also damages the bolt holes in the block and that damage is not repairable. Their new compressors turned into new engines because of a couple of bucks worth of bolts.

OP
OP
C.J.

C.J.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JIA
Vehicle(s)
After you get it back and you've driven the car and tracked it a few times, take a careful look at the belt and the new compressor to make sure it's still attached as it should be. Early on in the life of GT350's, a couple of folks had their AC compressors replaced and the dealer techs didn't bother with new bolts, they just re-used the originals. Apparently, that's a no-no because the vibration from the FPC can cause the bolts to back out, damaging the new compressor. What's worse, it also damages the bolt holes in the block and that damage is not repairable. Their new compressors turned into new engines because of a couple of bucks worth of bolts.
Thanks a lot for the heads up! Yeah will definitely be very cautious about this.

Whopperman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Viper GT, 2019 GT350R
Couldn't you just take them out and put locktight on them, or is it a difficult to reach area?
Sponsored