Short shifter?

Adaraas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
16 Premium GT, 17 Laramie Cummins
Which short shifter would you guys buy? I'm leaning towards the MGW, but it looks like a pain to install without a lift.
Sponsored

Speed Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX w/ IRS
The MGW was a pain even on a lift. Namely the top support bolt and dust boot. But it replaces every component, and it doesn't just mimic the stocker. The gates are much better and it gets rid of a lot of the notchyness. With the gripper knob, there's not much reduction (if any) in the throw length.

gtmiller1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
The MGW was a pain even on a lift. Namely the top support bolt and dust boot. But it replaces every component, and it doesn't just mimic the stocker. The gates are much better and it gets rid of a lot of the notchyness. With the gripper knob, there's not much reduction (if any) in the throw length.
Why would the knob selection change the throw length? Unless one knob just sits substantially higher up... ?

Sponsored

Speed Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX w/ IRS
Why would the knob selection change the throw length? Unless one knob just sits substantially higher up... ?
The collar that comes on the knob makes it stand about an inch higher. But that doesn't change the throw length, even when I had the stock knob on the MGW shifter, there didn't seem like much of a difference.

gtmiller1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
The collar that comes on the knob makes it stand about an inch higher. But that doesn't change the throw length, even when I had the stock knob on the MGW shifter, there didn't seem like much of a difference.
Not going to lie, I have the MGW and the stock knob and feel the throw isn't too short either. I was thinking I just got used to it but now you have me second guessing. I also get a mean vibration/noise from 5K to 6K RPM now, wondering if the Barton would be the same.

I'm half tempted to swap it out since they have the refund policy if you don't like it.

Edit: I will say that I have yet to miss a 2 -->3 shift since installing the MGW where I was hitting the gate constantly under WOT with the stock shifter.

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Not going to lie, I have the MGW and the stock knob and feel the throw isn't too short either. I was thinking I just got used to it but now you have me second guessing. I also get a mean vibration/noise from 5K to 6K RPM now, wondering if the Barton would be the same.

I'm half tempted to swap it out since they have the refund policy if you don't like it.

Edit: I will say that I have yet to miss a 2 -->3 shift since installing the MGW where I was hitting the gate constantly under WOT with the stock shifter.

It's funny you mention that, Dave (owner of Barton) and I spoke about this and he is supplying a linkage cup with o-rings which will help eliminate the noise. They will also provide foam pad to quiet anything down.

OP
OP
Adaraas

Adaraas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
It's funny you mention that, Dave (owner of Barton) and I spoke about this and he is supplying a linkage cup with o-rings which will help eliminate the noise. They will also provide foam pad to quiet anything down.
Is the barton actually a shorter throw? I'd get the 20% one.

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Yes sir it is. After driving with the 25% in mine which I recommend to everyone, you will not want the stock one every again.

I offer anyone local to stop by UPR and will let them test it no problem to show how nice it is.

Sponsored

BARTON INDUSTRIES

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Bartonshifters.com
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

I would be willing to put my shifter against ANY shifter on the Market. I will give you a 100% refund if you don't like the BARTON better.

Yes. We use our cad/cam system and Trig out the ACTUAL throw reduction. Our throw reduction Percentage is based on the 2015 Mustang not the 11-14's. So when we say ours is a 25% reduction its truly a 25% reduction vs the stock shifter on the 2015.

OP
OP
Adaraas

Adaraas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
Yes sir it is. After driving with the 25% in mine which I recommend to everyone, you will not want the stock one every again.

I offer anyone local to stop by UPR and will let them test it no problem to show how nice it is.
I actually meant the 25% haha, I'll have to see how far lake worth is.

Edit: just checked, is 250 miles away. Guess I'm not driving that far haha.

If you guys were within 50 miles I'd totally come check it out.

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I actually meant the 25% haha, I'll have to see how far lake worth is.

Edit: just checked, is 250 miles away. Guess I'm not driving that far haha.

If you guys were within 50 miles I'd totally come check it out.

LOL I don't blame ya. LOL But I'm sure if you get one you will be beyond happy. :cheers:

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
How much do you guys say these things are to have someone install? I've got exhaust now and with tint and one of these Bartons, I would be happy happy!
Sponsored