Shifter Housing Gasket Importance

embraceentropy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I installed the Steeda Tri-Ax Street along with their shifter bushing, aluminum lockout collar, and a weighted knob after a BG fluid change. Holy crap, it's like a completely different animal now!

The gasket on the shift linkage housing was torn with some of it sticking to the lower half and most of it on the upper half, but there were no missing pieces. I did not have a spare gasket and I didn't have time to prep and apply RTV so I re-assembled as-is.

How important is it that I take it back apart to replace the gasket or apply RTV?
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I don’t think you’ll have any issue with it, but just for peace of mind, you can rub some RTV around the perimeter of the lid and base to seal it from any water that might try and find it’s way inside.

OP
OP

embraceentropy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I don’t think you’ll have any issue with it, but just for peace of mind, you can rub some RTV around the perimeter of the lid and base to seal it from any water that might try and find it’s way inside.
Thanks! I was leaning towards doing that when I change my diff fluid this weekend.
Sponsored