Sponsored

Shelby name going global...

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1017091_shelby-american-going-global

The Shelby name is recognized worldwide but until recently it was hard for the brand founded by the late Carroll Shelby to expand overseas due to the fact that the most popular car it worked on, the Ford Mustang, was never officially sold outside of North America. That all changed when the Ford Motor Company [NYSE:F] introduced the current sixth-gen model, and Shelby hasn’t wasted any time in seizing the opportunity to offer its wares alongside the latest Mustang all over the globe.

According to Automotive News (subscription required), Shelby is in the process of signing up partners overseas to help sell its cars as well as aftermarket components and merchandise. The company also plans to form Shelby-licensed workshops where cars will be built locally by Shelby-trained technicians using Shelby’s own parts and specifications. The markets mentioned include Australia, Canada, China, the United Kingdom and South Africa.

Shelby currently has two upgrades for the sixth-generation Mustang, both of them based on the V-8-powered Mustang GT. One is a 625-horsepower Shelby GT and the other is a Super Snake which Shelby promises will deliver more than 750 hp. There is a catch, though, and that’s the fact that in some markets Shelby will be limited in the outputs it can offer due to certain restrictions, such as on allowable emissions levels or types of modifications. In some cases Shelby will have to fit its cars with the Mustang’s four-cylinder EcoBoost engine or offer lower power outputs.

And it’s not just overseas that Shelby is expanding. Here in the United States the company is also getting into the merchandising side of things. Shelby will soon be opening stores in shopping malls, similar to those opened by Harley-Davidson and NASCAR.

I think after the GT350 runs it's course the Shelby name should be left off of
future Mustangs. Too much clutter now with their (Shelby American) GT's and
Supersnakes. Mustang is it's own brand by now so Ford should stick with giving
the next Mustang GT (using the 2017 Ford GT's new logo) top dog position. Maybe add a Mach1 and the Boss name to special editions. Think about all the royalties Ford would save. Ford Performance should trump anything Shelby named going forward.

Hellcat has proven that a cool name plus a cool car can top heritage branding.
Sponsored

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1017091_shelby-american-going-global

I think after the GT350 runs it's course the Shelby name should be left off of
future Mustangs. Too much clutter now with their (Shelby American) GT's and
Supersnakes. Mustang is it's own brand by now so Ford should stick with giving
the next Mustang GT (using the 2017 Ford GT's new logo) top dog position. Maybe add a Mach1 and the Boss name to special editions. Think about all the royalties Ford would save. Ford Performance should trump anything Shelby named going forward.

Hellcat has proven that a cool name plus a cool car can top heritage branding.
You make a valid point. My only issue is that vehicles that come from Shelby are so damn expensive!!! I love the fact the Ford still uses the Shelby name because it's always been my dream to own a Shelby and they make Shelby ownership a lot "cheaper". I think Ford should come up with a name like Hellcat for the upcoming hellcat beater.

TraKWeapon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack On Order
I would have been happy if Ford had left the Shelby name off of the GT350 too. :thumbsup:

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
What do you think it should have been named out of curiosity?

Sponsored

Kodyray72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 SBY Boss 302
I would like there to be at least one more shelby, a factory produced gt500 then I'm good, still wouldn't mind if they kept the shelby name around

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
Shelby has always been an aftermaret comany amending the stock car to make it better.

The problem is, Ford is trying to capitalize on the iconic name and people who don't know how things worked in the 60's.

Ford would have you belive they own Shelby and it is just a part of Ford.

mustangfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I agree that the Shelby name should be phased out of the Mustang line-up going forward. Ford has a wealth of names to use that reflect both Mustang heritage and special edition status such as Mach I, Boss, Cobra etc. Ford should make use of those and let Shelby American pursue their own strategy.

matrix243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor & Lightning
I'm 50/50 on the matter. I don't think shelby american can match the kind of pedigree design that ford is putting torwards the name, and giving carrol the respect that he deserves. But at the same time, brand strengthening and consistency is important.

matrix243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor & Lightning
The name is getting diluted though with them both running the same time.

Sponsored

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
I think some of you need to read the history books. Shelby was the only American company to ever win the International Sports Car championship. And Ford should not forget that. Too bad so many Mustang owners have. Europeans I think have a better memory of that and the Shelby name will be welcome in Europe.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Just bring back the Cobra moniker. SN95 Cobra Mustangs didn't bear the Shelby name at all, I don't think the earlier Fox body Mustangs did either.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
I agree that Ford should stop using the Shelby name entirely. There has been plenty of tributes to Carroll (trinity GT500 anyone?) that Ford shouldn't be entitled to keep using the name. I would've also liked for Ford to use a different name for the GT350. Maybe like Boss 315 (5.2L = 315ci), Cobra, or even Mach 1.

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Now that Carroll has passed and it is a company relationship with Ford rather
than a personally one, maybe it makes sense to let Shelby do as Roush, Saleen and
others do, take a production mustang and go nuts and brand it a Shelby.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Now that Carroll has passed and it is a company relationship with Ford rather
than a personally one, maybe it makes sense to let Shelby do as Roush, Saleen and
others do, take a production mustang and go nuts and brand it a Shelby.
They do. :thumbsup:
Sponsored