corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I haven’t read this whole thread but at 71 I’m probably one of the oldest guys here. My Rapid Red convertible came with black 19” wheels and some kind of a blackout trim package. Maybe the wheels are part of the blackout package, I don’t remember.

I didn’t order it that way and probably wouldn’t have. While I never hated them I initially didn’t love them either.
I understand that - I went through much the same with the WRX. Though when I put together a "cold/winter season" tire & wheel combination I did go with aluminum-finish wheels for those. I have had to touch up the dark wheels a couple of times.

Makes for a nice change a couple of times a year and I do appreciate the not-pure-wheels (a pretty dark gray) more when the 3-season OE setup goes on. Might be something to consider here.

Since pictures of cars other than Mustangs have shown up here already (at least you, bjstang) . . .

April - November (taken right after buying the car, before I got the other wheel/tire package)
WRX 3.jpg

November/December - March/April
WRX winter tires & wheels.JPG

Norm (70+)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I understand that - I went through much the same with the WRX. Though when I put together a "cold/winter season" tire & wheel combination I did go with aluminum-finish wheels for those. I have had to touch up the dark wheels a couple of times.

Makes for a nice change a couple of times a year and I do appreciate the not-pure-wheels (a pretty dark gray) more when the 3-season OE setup goes on. Might be something to consider here.

Since pictures of cars other than Mustangs have shown up here already (at least you, bjstang) . . .

April - November (taken right after buying the car, before I got the other wheel/tire package)
WRX 3.jpg

November/December - March/April
WRX winter tires & wheels.JPG

Norm (70+)

You saying there are other cars, than Mustangs ? ................. OH say it ain't true.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You saying there are other cars, than Mustangs ? ................. OH say it ain't true.
Hey, it's the 4-door family sedan, and it still has to be fun to drive.

You know, the kind of car that Ford doesn't even make for the US market any longer.

Norm

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
I'm just barely AARP material but with a few exceptions, I don't really care for black wheels. The combo of options including the polished 19" wheels was the deciding factor on why I finally pushed the button on the Mustang I have.

I'm not completely unbending though. My wife's Volvo wagon (which she picked out and bought herself) has black wheels with a slim machined face. The car is also black, so it has a Swedish-Death-Metal vibe and I quite like it. It's about as cool as a sensible station wagon is gonna get.

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1, 86 SVO, 24 S5, 74 MGB GT
Here's my NON black wheels. 19 x 10 W/ 275/45 sq set up. Car had PP1 nickel wheel option that I sold in less then 24 hours right after I put these on!!

Resized_20210510_190916.jpeg

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nickel/gun metals wheels were keepers...

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
OK, so there is no separate senior folder yet (and maybe there will never be), but this question is targeted at 50 and up owners. Do you like black wheels? It's fairly obvious they are more popular with the younger crowd.

I did not like them at all when they first became prevalent, but they have grown on me somewhat on cars in certain colors. (Mean look with magnetic.) Even so, I would only consider gloss black because you know when they're clean. Also, mesh style or any intricate spoke pattern seems pointless since it's difficult to see except up close. Black PP1 wheels come to mind. In most cases a charcoal or graphite will show the spoke pattern much better while still giving a darker look.

What do you think of them? :)

Well, um.
Having lived through the billet craze , and the required upkeep of that.
And having gone through the as cast look with a clear coat that does not age well, and once the clear starts to lift, becomes a royal mess.

Then the fact that today's vehicles have zero bright trim to go along with the Bright/ billet, polished or machined alum. or as cast wheels.

I am not a fan of the matte or flat black wheels or even the gloss black, But the charcoal or gunmetal tend to look ok.
I not a fan of the new vehicles flat face wheels, I rather have a dish or concave than a flat faced wheel, I know the flat face is better for areo. but ugg.

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow
My 2015 Triple Yellow vert came with 18" Foundry Black Wheels (which aren't black but more of a gray/magnetic color). I keep thinking about changing to something else, so it would look more like this.
unnamed-3.jpg

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Just my opinion, I think the black wheels would've looked amazing with the other black upgrades (I'm 62).
I wanted to accent the chrome emblems with the wheels even though they are hyper silver and chrome.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Some car colors they fit, enhance, most Mustangs they do not.

SEAICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BW
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
60 years old... IMO, very few cars look good with all black wheels and then, only when the entire car is blacked-out. Within the first week, I had to replace the stock 18" black with silver outline wheels with silver.

Deleted member 35644

This is as close as I've ever come to owning black wheels (and keeping them). I thought these really suited the car, so I let them stay. :cool: The others that came standard on the car (2018 Ecoboost w/101A, Focus ST "premium" wheels) found themselves on Craigslist. Just not a fan of the look.

CX-3.jpg

SEAICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BW
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
For you younger folks... This was the car that really mainstreamed the black wheel thing (but back then the rims were silver (I still like that look in some instances)):
1972 Porsche 911S Social 16 x 9.jpg
Sponsored