Sponsored

Seems most all new cars have rattle problems?

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
This isn't a thread specific to a particular problem I want fixed, but maybe just a reflection on people's expectations, and what is possible. I waited a long 2 years for my chance to pick up my new Mustang. I heard about the new ones coming out about 2 years ago and saw a few renderings, so I decided to wait for the reveal. Once I saw the car, I figured I had to have it. I was driving a Turbo Kia Sportage which obviously doesn't drive like a sports car, so I was quickly bored with it. I needed a sports car. I had high hopes with the Mustang moving to a global platform, quality would increase drastically. In many regards, the Mustang has increased in quality. I'm not too bothered by some noises the car makes like "the thud", the bit of noise from the shifter/transmission, occasional notchy gears, etc. One of my biggest peeves in new cars is rattles. I seem to think in my mind that a new car should be drum-tight when first received, and develop rattles over time. I'm amazed to find just how rattly the new Mustang seems. With the radio up to a reasonably (low) listening level, almost all of the noises are drowned out, but if you ever dare to mute the volume, an orchestra of various noises come to life. This of course has started before I started doing any stereo work, so I know my workmanship is not to blame. When I take panels out, I often insulate them further when putting them back to help avoid rattles. I get random sounds here and there from pretty much any part of the car.

Long story short, I had other cars in mind - 2015 Subaru WRX STi, 2015 Audi S3, 2015 VW Golf R (if I could get one) and if everything failed my liking, that RWD Chevy car...

The funny thing is if you type in pretty much any car under $50,000 followed by "rattle" or "noise" on Google, you get a good number of results. That being said, with the Mustangs rattles (which aren't overly loud since the stereo blocks most out by about 30-40% volume which is nothing on this 400A stereo), are they really THAT bad? At what point is it now acceptable that pretty much anything sporty will have rattles? Perhaps it is nature of the beast, stiff suspension + low profile tires on any car makes it stiffer which makes rattles stand out more. Maybe my pursuit of rattles will never be fulfilled until I'm sitting in a $300,000 hand built vehicle (Rolls Royce?). Maybe I'm just picky? Or maybe I'm just looking too damn hard for rattles and should just ignore them?

Don't get me wrong, as expected, the car is a blast to drive, but I just for some foolish reason expected the car to be "better" in terms of the noisy department. Maybe I'm just fooling myself. Maybe I'm just so inclined to fixing anything and everything that I feel like I need to try to fix all the rattles not because they bother me, but because it is like a game trying to fix them all?

I will also comment, to some of those people who claim their cars are "rattle free", Let me ride in your car with no music on, drive on the roads I drive on (rougher than many), I bet I'll find some for you...lol. I've ridden in many people's "rattle free" rides, and discovered they aren't as rattle free as they thought. I of course never tell those people of the rattles...because that would just be sadistic.

So my question is - what is actually acceptable, and what is a reasonable expectation? Am I (and others) expecting too much from cars now - with their intricate interconnected panels, lightweight (i.e. plastic) materials, taut ride and clip on design, is rattle free no longer possible on a mass produced vehicle?
Sponsored

elfiero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium, 401A, silver, ebony, A/T
Well, I'll respond here: At one point in my life I chased noises in new cars for a living. So I will say to you: You are not imagining them, they do exist. Go drive a 150k Mercedes- they rattle a whole lot like a 45k Mustang. To get away from the noises associated with suspension, you would need to put in dead soft bushings in the control arms and subframe mounts. You would need to use aspect ratio of 70 or higher for tires. you would need motor mounts so soft the engine could flop around a couple inches without hitting anything. In other words, a late 80s buick, give or take. If you want a responsive car, you ARE gonna hear and feel things-no two ways about it. Personally, I think ALL manufacturers have done a magnificent job of MINIMIZING sound and rattle intrusions in the last few years. When in doubt, increase the output from the noise suppression system........

surfs1st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT
Worst one I have is when I hit a bump it sounds like bird chirping or a cricket. Irks the hell out of me, and I cant find it. I can deal with some I the other rattles, but this one. . . . :mad:

simple06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
Interesting perspective elfiero. After a few mustangs your thoughts make me feel a bit better.

mikef523

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang eco, 17 explorer, 17 Jaguar F-Pace
Several times I have detected a "rattle" in my Mustang. But, in each case, when I turn down the radio and listen more carefully, I have found it is always something I have in the car that is making the rattle. Either something in the door pockets, in a bag, or on the seat or cup holder.
Always happy to find it is not the car.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
It's also one of those things that you have to think - how much does it really matter? Nothing is really "broken"...surfaces rubbing together cause friction which cause noise. I'm normally the only one in my car, so I don't usually need to feel embarrassed someone else will think the car is cheap.

So why does it bother me so much? lol

Cars_1959

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
It's also one of those things that you have to think - how much does it really matter? Nothing is really "broken"...surfaces rubbing together cause friction which cause noise. I'm normally the only one in my car, so I don't usually need to feel embarrassed someone else will think the car is cheap.

So why does it bother me so much? lol
I don't even have my 2016 yet but...

Cruising down the highway listening to that Coyote purr just below the music and you hit a mild bump, then "squeak, creak, squeak"!

I could see that disturbing my good feelings and the humming along when it gets interrupted.:frusty:

Everybody is different though and for some it'll just be fine.

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible | Guard | Manual
Maybe I'm lucky, but after a weeks ago of ownership, my GT convertible is tight. There is some slight wind noise from the passenger side at highway speeds, but that's it. Little clicks from the transmission when I shift gears (1-2-3) are also there, but seem to be dismissed as normal by others on the forum and don't bother me or affect drivability.

My previous Ford product was a 2000 Mercury Mystique. It had an annoying squealing from the suspension over bumps, but after about 5 dealer visits within the first year, they finally figured out what to lube/tighten down, and that car is still tight after 15 years. When test driving cars some years back, I sat in brand new Saturns and Hyundais that were more rattly than my 8 year old (at the time) Mercury. Perhaps Ford quality varies from vehicle to vehicle even within a specific model/year.

OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Maybe I'm lucky, but after a weeks ago of ownership, my GT convertible is tight. There is some slight wind noise from the passenger side at highway speeds, but that's it. Little clicks from the transmission when I shift gears (1-2-3) are also there, but seem to be dismissed as normal by others on the forum and don't bother me or affect drivability.

My previous Ford product was a 2000 Mercury Mystique. It had an annoying squealing from the suspension over bumps, but after about 5 dealer visits within the first year, they finally figured out what to lube/tighten down, and that car is still tight after 15 years. When test driving cars some years back, I sat in brand new Saturns and Hyundais that were more rattly than my 8 year old (at the time) Mercury. Perhaps Ford quality varies from vehicle to vehicle even within a specific model/year.
How are the quality if your roads? Up here road quality is also a factor, many seams and frost heaves due to winter, so the main roads have a seam or frost heave every 50 ft pretty much. Seems like the seams don't always cause a rattle, so road quality comes into effect.

I remember reading a review years back about the 2009 Cobalt SS (which I also owned) and the review said the car was squeak and rattle free. I called BS as they drove it in Nevada or something like that. The Cobalt was the biggest rattle trap I've ever owned, and that is over many used cars too.

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible | Guard | Manual
How are the quality if your roads? Up here road quality is also a factor, many seams and frost heaves due to winter, so the main roads have a seam or frost heave every 50 ft pretty much. Seems like the seams don't always cause a rattle, so road quality comes into effect.

I remember reading a review years back about the 2009 Cobalt SS (which I also owned) and the review said the car was squeak and rattle free. I called BS as they drove it in Nevada or something like that. The Cobalt was the biggest rattle trap I've ever owned, and that is over many used cars too.
We live in Silicon Valley, I guess the roads are probably above average since there is no snow/freeze/ice cycles to make potholes worse. But the Mercury spent more than half its life in Massachusetts, with potholes galore, and did fine over many winters.

My first car out of college was a Geo Prizm. Reliable engine, but that had a lot of rattles and squeaks and cheap interior plastic bits that loved to break off in your hand (including a door handle one time, requiring me to exit from the passenger side). Good times.

Sponsored

elfiero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium, 401A, silver, ebony, A/T
To further my rant, think of this- in the "olden days" it was quite normal for cars to regularly used 3 to 4 inches of travel, with a total range exceeding 6 inches. Today, the average car runs in a range of about an inch and a half. No wonder they had to tighten up everything! Maybe that's why they make a little noise? Notice I didn't use the "R" word.

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
Meh my Audi I traded for the 'stang had cricket rattles that drove me nuts, it went back to the shop for them a couple times. Mine was a custom order too boot! - the benz, 370z, and BMW that I test drove b4 buying my car all had annoying little rattles....I have a friend with an S6 - his rattles....

Moral of this story - You aren't going to get away from them, which for me and being a wee bit CDO ( OCD with the letters in the correct order lol ) is painful and for my wife a reason to tell me to turn the darn radio up.

My .02 on it...

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Have noticed no rattles or squeaks in my GT Premium, but maybe I just cannot hear them over the awesome, roaring engine! :)

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
My trim to the left of the steering wheel rattled when the weather was cooler, not that it is scorching hot, I am rattle free!

My 04 BMW 330i ZHP was the only car I've ever owned that never rattled, besides when the cheap plastic everywhere would break and something would need to be replaced. Damn glad that car is gone lol.

Dat37tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 64A
I've noticed a few noises here and there but its mostly always been from something of mine that's in the car or the like. Like loose change or the passenger seatbelt being off that little holder its supposed to be on. But like many others, the noise suppression system turned up loud enough is more than enough to make "annoyances" cease to exist
Sponsored