Sponsored

sealant/wax doesn't protect against water spots?

jmatt07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 black on black mustang GT PP
Does sealant/wax not protect against water spots? My black gt got water spots all over it and I think they are etched in the paint because they won't come off when I wash the car. The car was washed and sealed when I bought it a month ago. Shouldn't the sealant keep the water spots from etching the paint?
Sponsored

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Wax / Sealant is a protective layer above your paint / clear coat. It offers water repelling properties, but is not resistant to water spots above the wax or sealant. Any time you do not properly dry your car and leave water on the surface of the paint or wax, you run the risk of water spots. The benefit of wax above your clear coat is an extra layer of protection against the elements, and water beading properties.

If you have water spots that do not come off, I wonder if insufficient prep was done before waxing (there were spots before waxing). I have personally trapped dirt under wax once in the past when I didn't properly prep my vehicle. I know it seems like it shouldn't be possible, but I found out first hand it is.

What causes water spots?
Water spots are most frequently created when hard water is left on a surface – paint or glass – to dry (technically, evaporate). This can be due to not drying your car after a wash (especially if your TDS level is high – more on this later), parking your car a little too close to a sprinkler, or even from rain water that is left on the surface too long. In a best case scenario, the minerals and dirt in the water are simply left on the surface of the paint after the water has evaporated off. Things get worse if the water contains something corrosive that etches the surface as it sits, creating a “crater”. If not addressed, these craters can actually get worse over time, as water will pool in them and continue to etch the same spot.

OP
OP

jmatt07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just thought that wax or sealant should be strong enough to prevent whatever is in the water to get through the sealant or wax and into the clear coat.

gtlaw

JcRoush hater
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
I sprayed bird shit off my car and ended up with some extreme water spots that seemed like they were etched into the clear I had to wash the car then used spray detailer I cant remember if it was eagle one or turtle but they came off

OP
OP

jmatt07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I tried using quick detailer as well and it did nothing

Sponsored

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Apparently clay bar could work, but it could also strip down your wax, which means you'd need to re-apply.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
contaminants in the water itself. The water evaporated, leaving the minerals in the water to bake in place.

Mr.Solis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future GT350 Owner
Most car shampoos and quick detailers are PH neutral. Unfortunately the contamination or "spots" left behind by hard water are more alkaline (pH greater than 7) due to the high mineral content, therefore you must use a dedicated water spot remover which is usually acidic (pH lower than 7) in order to neutralize the deposits.

Check these products out:
CarPro Spotless
Optimum MDR.

OP
OP

jmatt07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess what am saying is - Shouldn't water spots not be able to get through wax/sealant? I mean I would think that if the car is sealed when I washed it the water spots should have went away.

Ultimateone

Yes is that's guy /\
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F32 435i Xdrive
If your car is waxed it will bead the water, and it will leave a stain or spot if it wasn't dried off no matter what. The good thing is that the spot should be on that top layer of wax and not the clearcoat so it can be cleaned off or wiped away with detail spray.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
WoW try living in Chi town these days !
My Mustang gets a Bath every day of the week whether I would like to wash IT or Not ..
Talk about drying a Sports Car Dry .. Get a Blower it's faster and then a Micro Fibre cloth for the left over water ..

I hate water spots too ! Shoot I do not think we have had a solid week of Sun since March when I bought this Mustang . It even rained that day . Had the Paint Sealed a week later and I am Glad I did .

Polish guys is a real good cleaner for those pesky bugs , tar balls ETC ETC .
Sponsored