Sponsored

S550 v S197

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
These are crummy quality I took from a screen grabs off Youtube video,nevertheless:

Note these S197s are likely lowered and modified. The 3rd one looks like it has a nice body kit of some sort along the side skirts and front splitter.
Sponsored

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
I can see where the "much smaller" size rumors came from. Without being much smaller, it still looks significantly smaller. Seeing the car without an S197 in the immediate vicinity amplifies the effect. This is one of the things I really like about the new design. S550 haters may complain that this is selling out or some crap, but the truth is the S197 is the largest mustang ever made. It makes the 71-73 LTD-stangs look small. The S550 design is a move back towards the Mustangs original roots if anything.

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
It may look smaller, but it isn't. The S550 is larger over the S197. This again comes down to styling - and also to reusing the same platform.

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
The only dimension that increased was width. I believe length went down by .4 in? How does that make the car larger?

PERICAK:
Track width in the front is about 15 millimeters (0.6 inch) wider. Track width in the back is about 70 millimeters (2.8 inches) wider. But the sheetmetal went out only 40 millimeters (1.6 inches), really pushing those wheels out. The roof is down 38 millimeters (1.5 inches), the hood is down 32 millimeters (1.3 inches), the decklid is down 70 millimeters (2.8 inches). Another big constraint that was freed up was the A-pillar, which went rearward by 30 millimeters (1.2 inches)

Sponsored

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Ive seen both side by side and the s550 defintely looks smaller or less chunky and a tad wider, as well as lower.

Vernichtung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Do you have to get this into almost every post? :doh:

We get it already ;)
I think he's hoping his persistence pays off; that we'll take him at his word, believing he to be some sort of an all-knowing insider. Of course, this is the same guy who said that, prior to its official announcement, the 2015 GT's Line Lock feature was "wishful thinking and unrealistic." We're supposed to take his word over Dave Pericak and the rest of those at Ford -- people who actually worked on the car -- when they've stated time and time again that S550 is an all-new platform. Come on, man!

xlover

King of Laserball
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW M
It may look smaller, but it isn't. The S550 is larger over the S197. This again comes down to styling - and also to reusing the same platform.

Platform is def an all new design, refer to the s550 chassis school thread. Significant new structural design not at all related to s197 other than wheelbase length. Thanks for playing but I'm not sure you have a clue here.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
This topic was covered ad nauseam months ago, and well into last year. The chassis started in CAD as the S197 and evolved to the S550. Marketing may call it "all new" - as new model years with little change are often referred to - but in reality that's where it came from. I've seen the cars next to each other, the undersides, the frame, talked to the engineers at the press launch, all of it and it's very clear.
And while fan boys somehow seem to feel insecure over this fact, it's actually an advantage and we should all be glad of it. An all-new from-scratch platform would have been very different, would have taken longer to develop, and would have cost much more. Leaving much less money to develop in other areas, such as the engines in 2015 and much more to come.
Instead, the resulting S550 is the familiar size and with the familiar seating position, styling has resulting in a better shape but the same overhangs, and the product is coming to market much more quickly. And taking a smaller step rather than a huge step means that much more is in the pipeline later on.

GTsquid

This topic was covered ad nauseam months ago, and well into last year. The chassis started in CAD as the S197 and evolved to the S550.
Where is this CAD that started with the S197? I have followed every piece of S550 news and this is the first I've heard of this.

I've seen the cars next to each other, the undersides, the frame, talked to the engineers at the press launch, all of it and it's very clear.
You've seen the same thing many of us here have and no one is able to draw any real conclusions until we get a better look at the actual chassis, not just peeking at the underside. And I'm sure the engineers you talked to all would have said it's a new platform so what did you learn from them that would have convinced you otherwise?

Instead, the resulting S550 is the familiar size and with the familiar seating position, styling has resulting in a better shape but the same overhangs, and the product is coming to market much more quickly. And taking a smaller step rather than a huge step means that much more is in the pipeline later on.
In all of your posts about this, it seems your argument pretty much boils down to this. The seating positions and wheelbase are the same, therefore it is just an evolution. Without more, that's just plain bad logic. If you are going to make bold claims that fly in the face of what the chief engineer has said (that just about everything down to the floorpan has been changed), let's see some real details to back it up other than the same tired "it has the same basic shape and dimensions" argument. Lots of vehicles do.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
IIRC, the seating position is only the same on one axis. The floorpan is lowered, so the seating position has also been lowered, resulting in more headroom than before.

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[Gone 2016 400A] > 2017 F150
Moving a screw hole by half an inch would make it a "new part" in the eyes of Ford; saying its 99% new parts doesn't mean the parts are significantly different. That said, even if they started with the S197 chassis instead of a clean sheet, it's a significant evolution at the very least.

We can't say for sure yet just how big of an evolution it is, but its significant.
Sponsored