S550 Mustang GT as a Daily Driver

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yup i shift around 3k rpm during normal driving, i don't care much about the mpgs either but I hate stopping at the gas station every few days lol. Just wish it came with a bigger tank
What tires do you have? Wider and stickier tires will cause a MPG drop, so if you have something fancy like 275+ Pilot Sports then the mystery is solved lol
Sponsored

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Yup i shift around 3k rpm during normal driving, i don't care much about the mpgs either but I hate stopping at the gas station every few days lol. Just wish it came with a bigger tank
Lol, I hate the gas station too.

Honestly, supercharger or not, if driving a manual, you can control the mpg shifting early and drive like a grandma. All of my Mustang manual got tested how low the rpm I can shift it without bugging the cars.

I don’t think the Mustang is meant to be driven slow or soft lol.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
What tires do you have? Wider and stickier tires will cause a MPG drop, so if you have something fancy like 275+ Pilot Sports then the mystery is solved lol
I currently have 285/35 Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate. I picked my car new out of state and drove home first 500 miles with the crap 235/50/18 Pirelli A/S tires that came it. Even then i only got 24, so that set the precedent for mpgs on my car ;)

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Lol, I hate the gas station too.

Honestly, supercharger or not, if driving a manual, you can control the mpg shifting early and drive like a grandma. All of my Mustang manual got tested how low the rpm I can shift it without bugging the cars.

I don’t think the Mustang is meant to be driven slow or soft lol.
especially with a Lund tune you can't drive it soft lol. I'm at healthy 13 to 14ish mpg city driving, and worse with corn !

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
especially with a Lund tune you can't drive it soft lol. I'm at healthy 13 to 14ish mpg city driving, and worse with corn !
Lund tune made my car to burn gas all the time! I do like how they tuned my car. The car is smoother and shifts really well.

Sponsored

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Don't you love it when people come on here saying "I need advice", then disappear. Our friend with the lost key fob got swallowed by the car-so he is excused.
I’m way past the op now lol. I’m just talking about our cars now. Dude is having a good time with his vetch.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I currently have 285/35 Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate. I picked my car new out of state and drove home first 500 miles with the crap 235/50/18 Pirelli A/S tires that came it. Even then i only got 24, so that set the precedent for mpgs on my car ;)
Clearly you're just having more fun than the rest of us ;)

I’m way past the op now lol. I’m just talking about our cars now. Dude is having a good time with his vetch.
I think 10th* gen cars don't even have VTEC anymore, just a boring old small turbo. The Coyote feels like it has VTEC when you hit 4,000 RPM, so it's more of a true Honda really, lmao.

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Clearly you're just having more fun than the rest of us ;)

I think 11th gen cars don't even have VTEC anymore, just a boring old small turbo. The Coyote feels like it has VTEC when you hit 4,000 RPM, so it's more of a true Honda really, lmao.
Lmao! The last time I paid attention to a Honda vtech was when I was driving my 96 Mustang GT. I got this Vietnamese coworker and said “vtech” lol. It’s been awhile for me at least so, forgive my vtech ignorance.

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Lol time to take a nap because I can’t eve type “VTEC” properly.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I was according to my trip meter getting 8-9L/100KM on the highway easily, I realized I converted to the wrong MPG. In US MPG it is 26-30ish as you mentioned.

The lowest qouted number on my commute was 7L/100KM which would be 33 US MPG

The overall averge was 19-ish US MPG, still pretty good as I am averaging 29 US MPG in my MX-5 ND2 that weighs 800kg less and has 3L less engine volume :D and I have not been driving it in stop and go traffic....

In my 2020 BWM 330e I am getting almost 120 MPG at the moment. Driving in the same commute as I did with the stang :D. Considering that back when I had the mustang 1L costed around 17 SEK which is around 1.7USD with todays exhange rate it is a big drop in fuel cost for me for daily commutes. The reason why have a "low" MPG on the beemer is that I have been joyriding with the combustion engine on ( a lot of 0-60/100) runs :). At 3000 KM the average was at 156 US MPG ......
No way man, you used the right scale for your country. It's my job to convert since you guys use that particular system in Sweden. It isn't too bad to convert KM to MPH or Imperial mpg to US mpg. Just like if I'm visiting a foreign to me country, if they natively speak a different language, it's my job to either learn enough of that language to get around or have a translator.

Some form of a hybrid/electric car is a good idea in these uncertain times. Any time the economy gets compared to the great depression it is never good. I imagine Sweden has/is experiencing the virus as well.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
You can get and control the mpg driving a manual because you can shift it as early as you want. Just can’t shift to kill the car though. All on the gas pedal really.

I can’t control my right foot so I’m not even counting or reading my mpg.
You're not wrong here but IIRC, the 10spd shift logic is going to be pretty damn hard to beat.
Also, the driving style that would net you the best gas mileage has been documented to be heavy throttle, short shifting...and this going to take a toll on your engine through carbon, risk of knock, etc. that might end up costing more money than the fuel that you save.

Just my opinion. You may have experience that says otherwise.

Back in 2008 or so when gas prices went through the roof, I had a 100 mile/day commute and I was blowing tons of money on gasoline. Fortunately, my V8 coupe was my weekend car and I daily-drove a 1997 Miata. The car was lowered, had the OEM chin spoiler, I aired-up the tires to ~38psi, bolted on the hard top, folded back the side view mirrors, removed the wipers and short-shifted the heck out of the thing all the time. I also shut the engine off when coasting down long hills, drafted off of big rigs and SUVs, etc. I did every trick I could think of. That car was rated for 28MPG highway...with these tricks I managed to get over 40MPG regularly and I measured a best of 47MPG on a mostly freeway round trip. It was insanely dangerous and absolutely not worth the money that I saved.

OP
OP

archangl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Don't you love it when people come on here saying "I need advice", then disappear. Our friend with the lost key fob got swallowed by the car-so he is excused.
Nah I’m still here. Thanks for all the advice.!

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Hello everybody this my first time posting on the forum. I currently have a 10th Gen Civic SI, which I guess you can consider it "full bolt on," at this point. Don't get me wrong I love my car, but the itch to try something different namely an S550 Mustang GT (due to the 5.0 and IRS), hasn't gone away. I try to forget about it, but it keeps bugging me what it would be living with a GT, and want to feel the power of a V8 and not have to do much to it to make power (maybe it will be the one car I keep till the wheels fall off, which I have never really done before). My predicament is that I drive 100 miles one way to work (200 miles per day), and yeah the Civic SI is a great and fun car especially gas mileage (24 mpg with me romping on it very frequently), and reliable. My question is with that type of driving how does the Mustang GT fair in terms of gas mileage and reliablity. I should also mention that I bought my 2019 Civic Si brand new and it has 41k miles on it now, and not one problem. I get at best 33+ mpg, if I drive it softly on the highway. Looking for advice from you guys, especially since a lot of you DD your car and a lot of them are more than likely modified, which is what I would plan on doing down the road.
Ok so My 2 cents. I had a civic ex then a civic si then a civic type R. Now I have a 19 GT premium. First off gas milage. Kiss it goodbye you won't even get close to civic mileage with a V8. Comfort is subjective but I like my Mustang Leather seats better then any civic seats I had. Now the Civc type Rs seats were great but the mustangs to me are better and more comfortable. with the amount of miles you put on a car you would be good to find a dealer who does the lifetime powertrain warranty or you will blow through your warranty in 2 years. Long term reliability.... OK mustang owners look away for this... the civic. Although the Mustang is reliable and well built, look around. How many older Mustangs you see on road compared to Civics. Sorry but Mustangs just dont hold up well to lots of miles. ( I have owned 4) My civic had 300k when I sold it and had in that time almost no repairs. Your not gonna get 300k out of a Mustang. I mean you can Im sure but it would be the exception not the rule.

Now all that said I love my Mustang and dont regret it one bit. I would say yes get one they are fun, comfortable and awesome. My only reservation in your case would be putting 40k miles a year on it. Because of that and only that I would not think the Mustang is the best fit. The other downside to owning a Mustang is the trade in. Again love the car and don't regret it one bit but the used values are junk compared to what they cost. Example I bought my civic type R for 34k and 2 and a half years later sold it to a dealer for 31,500. My Mustangs sticker was 52k I paid 41k and before I even left the lot I blue booked it and with 5 miles onit said it was worth 32k I basically lost 9k signing the paper. Give it a few years say the same 2.5 i had the civic and well my 52k window sticker car will most likely be worth about 26k trade. and with the miles you put on a car it would be worth a lot less im sure. just something to consider.

A weekend car yes, a daily driver around town yes. A commuter car eh... maybe not.

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You're not wrong here but IIRC, the 10spd shift logic is going to be pretty damn hard to beat.
Also, the driving style that would net you the best gas mileage has been documented to be heavy throttle, short shifting...and this going to take a toll on your engine through carbon, risk of knock, etc. that might end up costing more money than the fuel that you save.

Just my opinion. You may have experience that says otherwise.

Back in 2008 or so when gas prices went through the roof, I had a 100 mile/day commute and I was blowing tons of money on gasoline. Fortunately, my V8 coupe was my weekend car and I daily-drove a 1997 Miata. The car was lowered, had the OEM chin spoiler, I aired-up the tires to ~38psi, bolted on the hard top, folded back the side view mirrors, removed the wipers and short-shifted the heck out of the thing all the time. I also shut the engine off when coasting down long hills, drafted off of big rigs and SUVs, etc. I did every trick I could think of. That car was rated for 28MPG highway...with these tricks I managed to get over 40MPG regularly and I measured a best of 47MPG on a mostly freeway round trip. It was insanely dangerous and absolutely not worth the money that I saved.
I have no doubt 10 spd is great. In my experience, I have never driven my older Mustangs short shifting all the time, but short shifting do good with mpg. I usually try to clear my carbon build up going wot or add some seafoam. Some tuner told me that actually.

All the things we do for the car are actually bad. Short shifting, aggressive driving, etc.. hell, even just starting a car is bad. Every cold start is considered 1000 highway miles because there are no oils during the initial start up.
Sponsored