S197 Hybrid - 2006 Mustang with S550 guts

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I always loved the 05-09 Mustang body style. My first ever car purchase was an 07 Mustang. Earlier this year I came across a Facebook marketplace listing (dangerous place for wallets...) for a 2006 Screaming Yellow GT that had no drivetrain and jumped on it! Got the entire car for about $3500. The previous owner built out the original 4.6 but then had a difficult time selling the car which led to the part out that I benefited from. The car itself is in decent shape for a 16 year old vehicle but some paint and body work will be required.

The original plan was just to re-pin the harness for a gen 1 coyote computer and complete a f150 coyote swap. Boy how things have spiraled since then.....

Objectives for this project:
5.2 Voodoo (7.3 Godzilla selected instead)
10R80 transmission
complete re-wire to an 18+ vehicle to support the 10r80
Complete (or as much as reasonable) interior swap to S550 components
Upgraded suspension and brakes
Completion of the GT500 conversion with new front and rear bumpers

Believe it or not I am not the first person to attempt an S550 wiring and interior swap in a 05-09. Seeing others being successful at this lead me down this path of the 10r80 and wiring swap.

The pictures below represent the starting points! (yes I will be building a voodoo from the ground up). If I am lucky, I should be able to create my ultimate Mustang for around the $20k mark.

IMG_1668.jpeg

IMG_1659.JPG

IMG_1191.jpeg

IMG_2502.jpeg

IMG_2494.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
Wow! This is going to be awesome. I am definitely watching this thread. This will be very impressive when you are done. I wish you lots of patience. How long do you anticipate it taking you to do all this?

People who can do all this on their own are really impressive to me.

Ballistica

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck! Very interested in following your upgrade.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Wow! This is going to be awesome. I am definitely watching this thread. This will be very impressive when you are done. I wish you lots of patience. How long do you anticipate it taking you to do all this?

People who can do all this on their own are really impressive to me.
My hope is that it will be completed by the end of the year at the latest.

Sponsored

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
My hope is that it will be completed by the end of the year at the latest.
That would be amazing to be able to do all that in that time frame. Again, call me impressed.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
That would be amazing to be able to do all that in that time frame. Again, call me impressed.
I built this in just over a year so hopefully this will work out!

IMG_0840.jpeg

IMG_2422.jpeg

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
I built this in just over a year so hopefully this will work out!

IMG_0840.jpeg

IMG_2422.jpeg
Love it! You still own it? What motor? I have been looking at buying one from Backdraft. I have started the process a couple of times but then I can’t pick out exactly what I want. I’m not in a rush for it because I want it to be everything I want, exactly.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Love it! You still own it? What motor? I have been looking at buying one from Backdraft. I have started the process a couple of times but then I can’t pick out exactly what I want. I’m not in a rush for it because I want it to be everything I want, exactly.
I do! (for now!) The plan always was to sell it and build another with the first funding the second.

Motor is a 4.6 4V with coyote internals. Crankshaft, rods, and custom forged pistons to make it all work. Its got 13+ GT500 cams as well.

IMG_0457.jpeg
IMG_2348.jpeg

Sponsored

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
I do! (for now!) The plan always was to sell it and build another with the first funding the second.

Motor is a 4.6 4V with coyote internals. Crankshaft, rods, and custom forged pistons to make it all work. Its got 13+ GT500 cams as well.

IMG_0457.jpeg
IMG_2348.jpeg
That’s awesome!

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple

IMG_0457.jpeg
IMG_2348.jpeg
Man … you obviously know what you are doing, going by your previous build .
I recently got bored my self with the S550’s and obsessed now with Fox body/coyote swaps .
I have a couple of boosted Gen 3 /10r80 swaps in the works using the Ford racing control pack which you already know is not going to work in your application.

I hears it’s a pain using the OEM wiring harness but seems you are up to it .

Will be following be following your progress …

exciting !

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I hears it’s a pain using the OEM wiring harness but seems you are up to it .
It’s usually a pain because people are just trying to get the ECU working so a lot of modules and connections usually are not installed. Since I am effectively transferring the soul of a S550 into the 06 with the intention of making all the modules and connections work, I hope it won’t be too much of an issue.

With the 06 and S550 sitting on basically the same platform, wire length, structural hard points, etc…. Should be fairly similar. Modifications will absolutely have to be made but it’s not as difficult as trying to swap this stuff into a fox body for instance. Or at least that’s the hope….

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
This is the stuff I like to see! Really interested to see how this turns out - especially a 10R80 mated to a 5.2. Looks like the dash might also bolt right in with some trimming, seems like all the bolt holes are the same less the 2 that are under the cowl on the S550 (really shows how similar the platforms are). Are you planning to figure out an IRS setup too or just keeping the straight axle?

Also super jealous - wish I could do stupid stuff like this in my spare time.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
This is the stuff I like to see! Really interested to see how this turns out - especially a 10R80 mated to a 5.2. Looks like the dash might also bolt right in with some trimming, seems like all the bolt holes are the same less the 2 that are under the cowl on the S550 (really shows how similar the platforms are). Are you planning to figure out an IRS setup too or just keeping the straight axle?

Also super jealous - wish I could do stupid stuff like this in my spare time.
The end caps of the metal frame in the dash that attach to the A pillar will need modifications but no plastic should need to be cut. Hard points for the HVAC appear to be in the same place as well, they just moved the connections over so minor firewall mods will be needed.

For now I’m keeping the solid axle but the plan is in the future to figure the IRS out. Again, I know it can be done!

3AAE3883-A066-4821-B978-0A8549F27027.png
Sponsored