Sponsored

S197 Coyote swap

BlackPony2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
shadow black ecoboost
The engine in my 06 mustang gt recently went out at ~150k miles and the shop I took it to says it needs a new motor, so I am wanting to swap a coyote into it. Has anyone on here had any experience with swapping the coyote into the 05-09 s197's and if so, any advice would be awesome. I do plan to do the swap myself.
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Gonna be pricy ur better off cutting ur losses and pick up a coyote equipped car.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Gonna be pricy ur better off cutting ur losses and pick up a coyote equipped car.
Not necessarily, unless he's buying a new aluminator.

New 15-17 GT engine is just about 5k...or you can get a used one for 3k (or an F150 for even less).

He's going to lose even more money by trying to sell an 06 car with no engine :eyebulge:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
There are some 4.6 to 5.0 swap how-tos out there on the net, start digging. It's easier than it used to be. ;)

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Not necessarily, unless he's buying a new aluminator.

New 15-17 GT engine is just about 5k...or you can get a used one for 3k (or an F150 for even less).

He's going to lose even more money by trying to sell an 06 car with no engine :eyebulge:
That mite be his best option if he's looking to make power. I just looked up prices on complete 4.6L terminator engines (03-04 cobra) and wow have the prices sky rocketed on those.

Sponsored

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
I’m in a similar dilemma except I want to put a 5.0 in my 16 v6. Either way it will be pricey I think but who knows might just wait it out. Best of luck try searching for diy videos on the internet your bound to find something

strongholdsteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buy an engine with ford's control pack - pcm is not a problem. How you fit the engine mechanically?
That would be a bigger challenge but it's possible for sure as it was done before.

Lot of Fox bodies coyote swaps all over the place.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
There are some 4.6 to 5.0 swap how-tos out there on the net, start digging. It's easier than it used to be. ;)
How hard could it be given it was stock in 2011+ s197s?

Swap the trans too and it should bolt right in with 2011 mounts. Doesn't Ford offer a ECU & harness designed for engine swaps? It seems like ALL the FR500S Mustang Challenge cars got Coyote engine swaps as they moved into club racing.

But it might be true that it would be cheaper to just buy a 2011, especially verses buying a brand new engine & trans rather than used ones.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
How hard could it be given it was stock in 2011+ s197s?

Swap the trans too and it should bolt right in with 2011 mounts. Doesn't Ford offer a ECU & harness designed for engine swaps? It seems like ALL the FR500S Mustang Challenge cars got Coyote engine swaps as they moved into club racing.

But it might be true that it would be cheaper to just buy a 2011, especially verses buying a brand new engine & trans rather than used ones.
Initially the major hurdles were electronics and power steering related, IIRC. All resolved now.

I seriously pondered a healthy NA 5.0 swap in my '09 Bullitt (which would have made it the perfect car), but the easy path wasn't there at the time. Not the case now. The thought of a 5.2 Aluminator in that car makes me drool...

Sponsored

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
go over to the s197 forum, probably a better place to get info on this. from what i remember a few people on there have done it

kiszl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Tripple Yellow 2015 GT
Look up Florida auto surgeons. Nick who works there recently did a coyote swap on a 3V. I’m sure he could give you some advice.
Sponsored