Sponsored

Rust in spare tire storage!! can this be stopped and repaired?!

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
It’s Electro-deposition coating from the OEM and most Pro level body shops know exactly how to handle preserving the factory coating while repairing the damaged areas.
There's no need to take that to a body shop. I could end that corrosion in 2 hours....tops. For $100 or less.

Damaged? It's a little light corrosion, nothing more.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Specifically with respect to this topic, rust is not covered by PremiumCARE. Unless a recall is involved, appears the standard 5Y corrosion warranty coverage applies. The following is from the Ford brochure:

The Ford Protect PremiumCARE extended service plan is so comprehensive, it’s easier to refer you to what isn’t covered – here are some examples:

Generally Covered by Your Auto Insurance – Examples include: fixed (non-moving) body parts, bumpers, glass, moldings, ornamentation, paint, rust, sheet metal, structural underbody framework, side and rearview mirrors (glass and housing), water leaks, wind noise, weather strips, wheels, wheel studs, wheel covers, convertible top and bow.

Repairs Related to Your Maintenance Requirements – Items listed in your vehicle’s owner guide. Examples include: batteries of all types and cables, belts, hoses, hose clamps, brakes (front hub, drums, shoes, linings, disc rotors, pads), manual transmission clutch disc, exhaust system (includes catalytic converter), spark plugs, squeaks, rattles, tires, wheel balancing, wheel alignment, all lamps and lights (LED and HID lights, bulbs, sealed beam and lenses) except when purchased with New or Incomplete PremiumCARE Interior/Exterior Lighting Option, fogging of lamp assemblies, shock absorbers, service adjustments and cleaning, and scheduled maintenance services.

Other Components and Repairs – Fabric, liners, fasteners, carpets, dash pad, wiper blades, knobs, trim, upholstery, physical damage or cosmetic issues, repairs covered by manufacturer recalls, any insurance or if the vehicle is within the time and mileage limits of any warranty, repairs caused by improper unreasonable use, unauthorized alterations or modifications of the vehicle, and repairs caused by lack of required or recommended maintenance. Costs or expenses for the teardown, rental expense, inspection or diagnosis of failures not covered by this Agreement. Refer to contract for details.

Sponsored

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Long story short,

I took out the spare tire to do some work on the car and noticed the paint completely gone and exposed metal covered in rust at three different spots in the spare tire area. No idea what caused this as there is no standing water (pointing to a leak). Can this be repaired as a DIY or I need a body shop to fix this? Is the rust bad enough that it will continue to spread and eat away at the metal?

thanks for any tips to prevent and fix this issue.
IMG_6320.jpeg

IMG_6319.jpeg

IMG_6318.jpeg
Find an autobody shop supply retailer in your area and see if they have a product called ospho. It's a rust inhibitor. You certainly can do this as a DIY since its in a non-visible area on the car. It's a lot of work and a pain but doable with the right products. The rust inhibitor is key to the repair. Rustoleum probably won't be sufficient since it's either a spray. The ospho is a liquid that will seep into all the crevices and work much better.
Long story short,

I took out the spare tire to do some work on the car and noticed the paint completely gone and exposed metal covered in rust at three different spots in the spare tire area. No idea what caused this as there is no standing water (pointing to a leak). Can this be repaired as a DIY or I need a body shop to fix this? Is the rust bad enough that it will continue to spread and eat away at the metal?

IMG_6320.jpeg

IMG_6319.jpeg

IMG_6318.jpeg
If you're bound & determined to do this yourself I'm sure you can. Since it's in a non-visible area of the car it's not as critical as an exposed body panel. If it were my car I would take it to a body shop that specializes in restoration work. Anyway...

Look for a automotive body shop supplier in your area or on-line. Try to find a product called "ospho". It's a rust inhibitor that is far superior to Rustoleum. The Rustoleum is either a spray or a thick paint. The ospho is a very viscous liquid that will seep into the crevices much better than Rustoleum. I'm told it's what most of the professional restoration shops use. I've never tried it myself. I was tempted to on a project a few years ago but I decided to have a professional handle the rust issues and I'm glad that I did. It's a lot of work and comes with biohazard issues.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
gmupatriot

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
@KingKona @GregO @Ecto1 @DadzMach

I appreciate input from all of you.

Reading through everything you all suggested, I would rather have a professional shop with folks who have experience with this stuff fix it properly. I asked if it can be a DIY not necessarily to save money but to do it myself if its not too crazy of a job.

I will check with my local dealer first and see what they say. If Ford is willing to cover this under warranty, great! Otherwise I know of a really good body shop around where I live and will take it there to get this fixed.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
@KingKona @GregO @Ecto1 @DadzMach

Reading through everything you all suggested, I would rather have a professional shop with folks who have experience with this stuff fix it properly. I asked if it can be a DIY not necessarily to save money but to do it myself if its not too crazy of a job.

I will check with my local dealer first and see what they say. If Ford is willing to cover this under warranty, great! Otherwise I know of a really good body shop around where I live and will take it there to get this fixed.
Ford wont' touch it, it's not perforated through the metal.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
@GregO @Ecto1 @DadzMach

Wise choices.
If possible let us know the root cause of the corrosion and paint blistering.

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
Long story short,

IMG_6320.jpeg

IMG_6319.jpeg

IMG_6318.jpeg
Questions:
1) What does the spare look like?
2) Was it ever used?
3) What does the outside (underneath) surface of your car look like?

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I would First make sure water isn't coming in some where.
What I have done in the past is, lay your seats down, climb
Into the trunk with a bright flashlight. Have a friend close the trunk and start running a water hose full power across the top area of trunk seal, rear windshield bottom,sides, corners, trunk lid all around, your tail lights, side marker lights. If no leaks, have them start underneath and do the same. If it wasn't a toxic chemical then you need to find the leak. If you did mods to the tail lights, side marker lights, rear window replacement etc, must check. Good luck.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Into the trunk with a bright flashlight. Have a friend close the trunk and start running a water hose full power across the top area of trunk seal, rear windshield bottom,sides, corners, trunk lid all around, your tail lights, side marker lights. If no leaks, have them start underneath and do the same. If it wasn't a toxic chemical then you need to find the leak. If you did mods to the tail lights, side marker lights, rear window replacement etc, must check. Good luck.
It's doubtful this is due to water intrusion.

In order for that corrosion to be due to water, the trunk area would be very moldy and nasty. The OP would have heard water sloshing around at various time. Also, if it had been water, there would be old witness/water-line marks around the spare tire area where water had sat. There are none.

There is a white powdery substance that looks like some sort of chemical residue around all 3 areas of corrosion.

It is possible that the tire inflation kit blew-out, and some sort of chemical in it caused that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gmupatriot

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Questions:
1) What does the spare look like?
2) Was it ever used?
3) What does the outside (underneath) surface of your car look like?
1) The tire looks clean and that is because I did not buy the spare tire kit until November of last year.

2) No it has never been used

3) I will have to look underneath and check.

When I placed the new spare tire kit towards end of last year, I did not see any rust or bubbling of paint.

Taking this into consideration, this happened in the last 6-8 months.

OP
OP
gmupatriot

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will do that but I do not think there is any leak from the trunk/rear windshield area. I get the feeling something spilled and caused this issue. Only thing is, I do not remember if something spilled and what it could have been.

It's doubtful this is due to water intrusion.

In order for that corrosion to be due to water, the trunk area would be very moldy and nasty. The OP would have heard water sloshing around at various time. Also, if it had been water, there would be old witness/water-line marks around the spare tire area where water had sat. There are none.

There is a white powdery substance that looks like some sort of chemical residue around all 3 areas of corrosion.

It is possible that the tire inflation kit blew-out, and some sort of chemical in it caused that.
I think you are right about it being a chemical of some sort. Do not know what it is because I checked the carpet in the trunk and it shows no sign of any spills but then again just because it is not showing signs does not mean something did not spill and dry up over time.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I will do that but I do not think there is any leak from the trunk/rear windshield area. I get the feeling something spilled and caused this issue. Only thing is, I do not remember if something spilled and what it could have been.

I think you are right about it being a chemical of some sort. Do not know what it is because I checked the carpet in the trunk and it shows no sign of any spills but then again just because it is not showing signs does not mean something did not spill and dry up over time.
It could have been something that happened at the factory too.

Did your car come with the inflator kit? Or a spare tire?
Sponsored