Sponsored

Rumor - The GT500 thread

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche 911 Turbo S & 2016 Shelby GT350R
srt demon may be awd.

315/40/18 nitto nt05r's on all four wheels.
Sponsored

Shabooty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I don't think that is right. I think it's gonna be straight up 19, not late.
Well, like TwinTurbo stated, this sounds more like it'll be a MY20 and released end of 2019. I recall reading an article saying the S550 would be MY20 so the GT500 coming out then would make sense.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Well, like TwinTurbo stated, this sounds more like it'll be a MY20 and released end of 2019. I recall reading an article saying the S550
to be would be MY20 so the GT500 coming out then would make sense.
There will be AT LEAST 2 model year run of the demon slayer. It won't be 1. If it were 1 year car it would be a first. If anything I think it could be a late 18.
They will build it on the S550.
Also you will never see a 1st model year chassis with high performance car, they always show at least 1 year later, so that rules out a 2020.

Last edited:

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I think it is coming as I just read on another forum that "has a pretty reliable source". Also, a well know/respected salesman whom is from a well respected dealership that I know, are both saying that it is coming this year. Actually, really soon. (Salesman name withheld until I get the info I am looking for. :D LOL)
Limited availability this summer and then full production after that. It will be a 5.0 and turbo charged, but said it may go back to supercharged. Over 700HP.
I can actually copy and paste the post if anyone is interested.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I can actually copy and paste the post if anyone is interested.
Yes please!

A 5.0 would surprise me. I really think, in order to differentiate from the Coyote, they'd base it off the 5.2 but with a cross plane crank. Twin turbos would be very cool (well, it IS a cool name ;) ) but whatever gets it over 700hp is fine by me :ford:

Sponsored

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
Yes please!

A 5.0 would surprise me. I really think, in order to differentiate from the Coyote, they'd base it off the 5.2 but with a cross plane crank. Twin turbos would be very cool (well, it IS a cool name ;) ) but whatever gets it over 700hp is fine by me :ford:
Well,with the demon getting those drag tires,FORD will have to step it up.:ford:

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Yes please!

Ask and ye shall receive. LOL

I saw this thread and thought I would throw something in it to get it started.
I have been running the Performance Division of * * Ford for 11 years. I have been with Ford for 18 years.

Here is what I am seeing and hearing and guessing based on the information I have, history of what Ford has done in the past with new release specialty Mustangs and their similar patterns...

Of course I could go back a lot further, but lets start in 2009. 2009 was a SHORT model year because Ford wanted a FULL year of the new 2010 bodystyle Mustang. So 2009 model Mustangs only ran about 6 months so Ford could bring the 2010 models out early in June.
This has become more and more practice throughout the years as opposed to bringing out new models in the fall. Carryover models typically do run through the fall. The 2014 Mustangs actually came out in March or so of 2013 (way early) so they could get a full year in of that model year and leave plenty of time to transition to the new body in 2015.

Some key things here are the GT500 stopped production as of the 2014 model and were not released in 2015. The GT350 was announced in 2015 as a 2 year model intended to run 2016 and 2017 (though they did a small run of a couple hundred 2015's at the very end). Interestingly enough, Ford coded the GT350 with the same body code as the GT500 which is P8J. This kind of tells you as long as the GT350 is around, Ford would not be producing a GT500 along side it. The early speculation was the GT500 was supposed to be a 2017. In fact, the body code conflict told us early on, that would not be the case unless Ford completely recoded it which was unlikely. It will be a 2018 as this thread suggests but it should be out in the summer of 2017 (June or July) because Ford wants an early start with it.

The 2016 model year, like the 2009 model year will be short. Final orders should cease to be accepted around March to April at the latest and orders for the 17's should begin around there or soon after. Expect to see the first 2017 Mustangs around June, or July at the latest this year. This gives the 2016's a short year, but more than the 6 months of the 2009. Then the 2017 model Mustangs should run a full year so the 2018's can be released in June or July.

Expect to see the 2018 GT500 in June or July of 2017 with a little over 700HP. My sources do NOT expect a GT350 motor to be installed in the 2018 GT500. Rather, the speculation is a turbocharged 5.0. Of course it is still early so Ford could revert back to the supercharged platform. Also, expect a slight freshening of the 2018 model Mustangs similar to what happened in 2013 over the 2010-2012 body.

Other than that, only time will tell... but feel free to throw in any information any of you may have to add.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT

The 2016 model year, like the 2009 model year will be short. Final orders should cease to be accepted around March to April at the latest and orders for the 17's should begin around there or soon after. Expect to see the first 2017 Mustangs around June, or July at the latest this year. This gives the 2016's a short year, but more than the 6 months of the 2009. Then the 2017 model Mustangs should run a full year so the 2018's can be released in June or July.

Expect to see the 2018 GT500 in June or July of 2017 with a little over 700HP. My sources do NOT expect a GT350 motor to be installed in the 2018 GT500. Rather, the speculation is a turbocharged 5.0. Of course it is still early so Ford could revert back to the supercharged platform. Also, expect a slight freshening of the 2018 model Mustangs similar to what happened in 2013 over the 2010-2012 body.
Thanks matey......lot to take in there.

When was this posted? I ask because that first paragraph reads as though it was written a while back......still talking about the '16MY. We're already 6+ into the '17MY. Its almost like he's mixing model year and calendar year. Especially when he starts to talk about a freshening of the 2018MY......clearly this is written before we've started to see the '18MY prototypes.....and latterly early show cars.

Either way, it's good to read more speculation :thumbsup:

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Thanks matey......lot to take in there.

When was this posted? I ask because that first paragraph reads as though it was written a while back......still talking about the '16MY. We're already 6+ into the '17MY. Its almost like he's mixing model year and calendar year. Especially when he starts to talk about a freshening of the 2018MY......clearly this is written before we've started to see the '18MY prototypes.....and latterly early show cars.

Either way, it's good to read more speculation :thumbsup:
You're welcome Paul.
It was written in February2016. Almost a year ago. :eyebulge: lol
But, to be truthful, his dealership usually is one of the first ones to get "special edition" performance cars AND protoypes as well! I have been thinking of emailing him to find out more. Maybe I will either today or tomorrow.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Would be interesting to hear. I think the program backed up a year. 19 and 20 is what I'm thinking. Whatever ford is doing, I don't understated the hush hush. 12 by 20 and they can't even announce one and 18 MY cars will be rolling out the door in 6 months! Not right IMO, unless they themselves are clueless? 6 more high performance cars will be named in the year they are actually coming to market? Builds no hype whatsoever. Will they sell them? Most likely but it doesn't do much for the brand if they don't hype at all. I fully expect at least 3 to be announced in the fall.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
You're welcome Paul.
It was written in February2016. Almost a year ago. :eyebulge: lol
But, to be truthful, his dealership usually is one of the first ones to get "special edition" performance cars AND protoypes as well! I have been thinking of emailing him to find out more. Maybe I will either today or tomorrow.
If you do email them......push them on info about a potential Mach 1, too :thumbsup:

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Would be interesting to hear. I think the program backed up a year. 19 and 20 is what I'm thinking. Whatever ford is doing, I don't understated the hush hush.
Same here! I don't understand the hush-hush as well.
What If I want to buy the new GT500, but I don't know if/when it's coming out and then buy a 2017/2018 Roush Stage 3 and then the new GT500 comes out?!?! I'd be PISSED!!!!!!:mad:

If you do email them......push them on info about a potential Mach 1, too :thumbsup:
Will do sir! :thumbsup:
I will email him tomorrow. Not sure if the dealership is open on Sunday, but he may get back to me anyways. I can always text him as well.

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
What if Ford, for 2018 produces the GT350, then switches to the GT500 for the last half of the year? Has this ever been done?

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
As with the development of any new car, and the Mustang in particular, capturing prototypes in action is important in gauging when a car is likely to be released.

A GT500/halo Mustang will almost certainly see track time at the NĂĽrburgring....just as the GT350 did before it, as well as the Camaro Z28/ZL1. This won't get missed as there are pretty much legions of photographers at the 'Ring every day.

So far, the nearest to a prototype we've seen was this one, captured back in August 2016.......and we still don't know if it really is the next halo Mustang. One thing that could help us assume it is, is the fact that the '18MY GT350 didn't receive a facelift in line with the rest of the Mustang. So, we can assume this prototype wasn't a GT350 update. Unless, of course, GT350 receives updates for the '19/'20MY.

Given that this prototype is based on the GT350, it's clear this wasn't an Ecoboost/GT prototype........so, again, we can probably assume it is a very early halo-Stang prototype. If you recall, this prototype was spotted twice, firstly with matching GT350 wheels and rear wing, and later with mis-matched wheels and a Steeda-style rear wing. Both cars feature the same license plate though......that also just happens to end in "500". And early Easter egg from Ford? Who knows!

However, since August, this car has been conspicuous by its absence. I would imagine Ford Performance will want decent weather when they finally start testing at the 'Ring, so I'd imagine it'll be at least April, more like May or June before we see it there. And that's usually a good few months before we'd see it launched either at major show or unique launch event. So, until we start to see more prototypes, we can't get too excited!

2018-shelby-gt500-mustang-prototype-soundcheck-110253_1.jpg

Ford-Shelby-Mustang-GT500-spy-shots-6.jpg

2018-Shelby-GT500-First-Sighting-2-657x360.jpg

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
As with the development of any new car, and the Mustang in particular, capturing prototypes in action is important in gauging when a car is likely to be released.

A GT500/halo Mustang will almost certainly see track time at the NĂĽrburgring....just as the GT350 did before it, as well as the Camaro Z28/ZL1. This won't get missed as there are pretty much legions of photographers at the 'Ring every day.

So far, the nearest to a prototype we've seen was this one, captured back in August 2016.......and we still don't know if it really is the next halo Mustang. One thing that could help us assume it is, is the fact that the '18MY GT350 didn't receive a facelift in line with the rest of the Mustang. So, we can assume this prototype wasn't a GT350 update. Unless, of course, GT350 receives updates for the '19/'20MY.

Given that this prototype is based on the GT350, it's clear this wasn't an Ecoboost/GT prototype........so, again, we can probably assume it is a very early halo-Stang prototype. If you recall, this prototype was spotted twice, firstly with matching GT350 wheels and rear wing, and later with mis-matched wheels and a Steeda-style rear wing. Both cars feature the same license plate though......that also just happens to end in "500". And early Easter egg from Ford? Who knows!

However, since August, this car has been conspicuous by its absence. I would imagine Ford Performance will want decent weather when they finally start testing at the 'Ring, so I'd imagine it'll be at least April, more like May or June before we see it there. And that's usually a good few months before we'd see it launched either at major show or unique launch event. So, until we start to see more prototypes, we can't get too excited!
Could this be the GT4? Notice the racing seat, and I vaguely remember seeing a racing cage.

PS: the "500" on the license plate could also be a distraction. :headbonk:
Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 7.49.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 7.49.40 PM.png
Sponsored