Sbloom5_0

GTFO_0012
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I wanted to make a post showing how I modified my stock base model rear bumper to work with the RTR rear diffuser. I've seen a lot of people asking about adding diffusers to base model cars so I figured I'd share how I did it. I want to start by saying that there is no right or wrong way to do this and that it is in no way just as easy bolt on. It's requires serious modification and work not matter how you choose to do it.

First things first. You need to buy the premium rear valance from Ford ($169.99) and the RTR diffuser ($399.99). I purchased these from American Muscle. The next step was to cut the rear bumper. I cut the rear bumper at the lower part of the seam on the bumper. Then I drilled slots for the clips on the backside of the valance to snap into the bumper and hold it on.

The valance leaves a slight gap between the bumper and the valance right above the exhaust were the bumper curves towards the wheel. You could probably leave it be but because I am so OCD I had to come up with a solution. I came up with the idea to make the bumper look like the factory one piece base model bumper.

So to eliminate that gap I actually had the premium valance molded to the bumper. Filling the gaps perfectly so that it had the same flow and look as the stock bumper. I painted it to match instead of the flat black so it looked like a factory one piece bumper but with RTR diffuser installed to give it a way more aggressive look.

It was a lot of work. Not just a simple bolt on. But if you take the time and do it right I think it turns out pretty bad ass. The alternative is obviously to buy a premium rear bumper, valance, diffuser, and have it painted. But when I did the math it was more cost effective to do it on my own. Plus now I have a customer rear bumper that I built which is pretty cool. Just wanted to share with everybody. Curious to see what everybody thinks of my work.
:ford:
IMG_3758.jpg
IMG_3769.jpg
IMG_3292.jpg
IMG_3767.jpg
IMG_3770.JPG
IMG_3294.jpg
IMG_3766.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Infamous

President of Honda
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP
Awesome job man. You inspire base model owners.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
18 Audi A3, 21 F150
Awesome job

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
very nice... that was still cheaper than buying an oem bumper and valance?

OP
OP
Sbloom5_0

Sbloom5_0

GTFO_0012
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
very nice... that was still cheaper than buying an oem bumper and valance?
Thanks! Yea I think after you buy an oem bumper which I've seen going around $500 plus the valance and having the bumper painted it adds up to being more.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Nicely done! Looks sweet.

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
Nice work. Do you have your rockers painted to? I can't tell from the pics. To me one of biggest benefits vof the RTR and Roush diffuers is that the black plastic parts line up with the stock rockers.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sbloom5_0

Sbloom5_0

GTFO_0012
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Nice work. Do you have your rockers painted to? I can't tell from the pics. To me one of biggest benefits vof the RTR and Roush diffuers is that the black plastic parts line up with the stock rockers.
No don't have the rockers painted. I was thinking about going that route but I have the RTR side splitters I'm going to instal. So I'll see how it looks after that and go from there.

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Is that a boat tail Riviera in the garage :eyebulge:

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat