Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I bet Jay Leno could get a Merlin to fit in a Mustang.

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Anything is possible with a bottomless checkbook. The thought of a V12 stuffed inside S550 bodywork is definitely cool, to me at least. Would I do it to a GT? Probably not, but I wouldn't think twice about doing it to a V6.

Would I hang onto a V6 for a few years until I had enough money to make it happen? Heck no. I'd wait 15-20 years, find a cosmetically sound example for super cheap (blown engine, salvage title etc.), and start ripping it up after finding a similarly inexpensive RR V12. I doubt it's been done before, go be the first.

Sponsored

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I think people who post just to say dumb idea have the dumbest posts. Personally I love imagining crazy engine swaps in cars. This is why I play Forza Horizaon haha. No idea if it would be possible but it would be pretty cool though I imagine it would add a good bit of weight up front to an already nose heavy car. Personally Id love to see somthing like a 2wd electric drive train in these mustangs, Something like a tesla with a "direct" drive if you will, not bothering with a transmission. Though I do love my 6spd I don't feel manuals have any place in the future of electric cars.

I've read/heard Ford was playing around with electic motors for front wheel drive of the shelby trim. Guessing they were looking at something similar to the NSX which I think would be cool and possibly offer a "drift" mode similar to the FoRS

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
OP I like the idea and creativity of it, but you have to let us know if you are dreaming out loud or actually have the financial end of this situation?

Also, why stop at a v12? I would try to one up everyone and stuff an inline-12 in that sob. Get the 1905 Wolseley inline-12.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
One idea... 4 exhaust tips on each side dumping out in front of the rear wheels, and loud as he**. Forget the V12 idea, and with all the money you save from not doing that, it would pay for a lot of custom fab stuff that would be just as impressive to me.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
"Each man should frame life so that at some future hour fact and his dreaming meet"
- Victor Hugo

Have at it, if it's something you want to do.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Feasible? No Can it be done? Sure anything CAN be done. Hell you can turn your car into a diesel powered boat with enough resources.

Estimated cost? Ill throw out 45K

Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
So start with a $150,000 engine, stretch the hood and front end to 7' and you're GTG.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Feasible? No Can it be done? Sure anything CAN be done. Hell you can turn your car into a diesel powered boat with enough resources.

Estimated cost? Ill throw out 45K
$45k to drop a RR V12 into a S550?

Not hardly.

I've built a lot of custom stuff....and had some very crazy ideas come across my desk. But I can honestly say this idea is a first.

To put it simply, you're going to bankrupt yourself OP. As noted by others, ANYTHING is possible. But when I consider the fab work that would be required, not to mention electrical disasters, safety disasters, basically rethinking the very structure of the front of the car in order to get this to work...and then what transmission would you use? All new trans, new gears, new tires and wheels, new suspension...

Just shooting from the hip off the top of my head, if someone bought this to me and said "build it", I would ask them if they were comfortable with a $500k budget. Straight up. Because the sheer amount of labor and customization involved would literally boggle the mind.

The question isn't COULD you do it. The question is SHOULD you do it. And the answer is no.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
How about a 6 3/4 litre Rolls V8? would be a far easier swap as its physically close in size to the coyote.

Failing that forget a Merlin, go with a Meteor instead. Same block but without the supercharger, built for use in tanks. They are much cheaper and more common. You will end up loosing a bit of interior space (think sitting on the back seats). I was considering a Rolls or Napier build on a vintage Vauxhall chassis a while ago but have never got round to it. Meteors are occasionally seen in vintage racing. they give 500+ bhp and sound fantastic un-silenced! The advantage of vintage chassis is the longitudinal space available is far greater and the body can be custom fabricated more cheaply

xik49qYJ.jpg

s2wwxy8s.jpg

If you are open to diesel, don't forget there are loads of cheap Rolls engines available out of trucks and armoured stuff.

Last edited:

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Stay in school and don't do drugs, folks.
Sponsored