Sponsored

Replacing Rear Wheel Studs

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
Hello, received some 15mm spacers for rhe rear and found they are slip on style because there is no room for bolt on hardware in 15mm. So im wondering how hard is it to remove the rear wheel studs.

Mainly interested if the axles have to come out?

Hadn't looked under the car yet.
Sponsored

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Hello, received some 15mm spacers for rhe rear and found they are slip on style because there is no room for bolt on hardware in 15mm. So im wondering how hard is it to remove the rear wheel studs.

Mainly interested if the axles have to come out?

Hadn't looked under the car yet.
Yes. Technically the hubs should be taken off and a hydraulic shop press should be used to remove old and then reinstall new studs. There are a bunch of posts on M6G on how to do this. Suffice it to say the fronts are a piece of cake, the rears are a bit of a PITA. The cheater method with a hammer and then using an impact / open end lug nut and a stack of washers to press them back in is an alternative. I think the hammering is a little hard on wheel bearings though. If you just want to remove the front hub and press out the rear studs in place you can use the Harbor Freight ball joint remover. I did this and it worked fine (on a two year old car that lives in south Texas with no salted roads...YMMV).

Do you know which studs you are going with? Just be careful that you get the knurl O.D. right. I'm running ARP 1/2" studs. I might have gone with the new Ford Performance / ARP M14s were they available. In my case I had a local machine shop cut down the length to fit my 15mm (front), 13mm (rear) spacers with closed lug nuts.

Here is a picture of the Harbor Freight tool in use:
D71_7921.jpg

OP
OP
JKL1031

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
Yeahhh, im going with 20mm bolt ons.

Thanks.