Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I still fully believe there's a correlation, just probably isn't statistically absolute. My car only drove on the track for about a 6 month window (14 track days) - no oil burn. But when I started to prep for moving and drove it around town a bit - started burning oil again. I know up in the PNW none of the track junkies seemed to be burning oil. Again, not saying it's a direct correlation, but it does seem like varied RPM under high loads minimizes oil burn.
To your point I've been taking a lot of short low load trips recently and I added my 2nd quart of oil quicker than my first by a lot of miles. Just added about 3/4 of one last night. I will say I broke my car in harder than most have though I'd imagine. She seems to be doing just fine other than the accidental 5th gear lug I did the other day in a panic :doh:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Agreed I believe high rpms and low loads around town causes ring flutter and oil burning! High rpms high load rings are pressed nice and tight against cylinder walls and ring grooves and seal perfectly fine.
I rarely run the engine at high rpm low load. So there is that.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I’m gonna play devil’s advice cate here...

1) high rpms and low load (joy driving at high rpms?) uses more oil cause the rings “flutter” but people say their catch cans don’t have much in them that are street driving... that doesn’t correlate;

2) high rpms on the track and catch cans are catching blow-by but the rings seal good under hear conditions... that doesn’t correlate.

I’m confused.

windnsea00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Has anyone been able to get a loaner car and/or payment modifications from Ford if there car was down for a length of time?

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Has anyone been able to get a loaner car and/or payment modifications from Ford if there car was down for a length of time?
I get a loaner car no questions asked, and I am technically the second owner (bought it out of state from a private individual with 300 miles on it). My local dealer Bozard Ford is awesome.

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1

1) high rpms and low load (joy driving at high rpms?) uses more oil cause the rings “flutter” but people say their catch cans don’t have much in them that are street driving... that doesn’t correlate;

2) high rpms on the track and catch cans are catching blow-by but the rings seal good under hear conditions... that doesn’t correlate.

I’m confused.
As far as #2 - here was my experience.

I mainly drove my car on the track. New in January. 3,000 miles since then. Hardly any oil in catch cans every time I checked. Change oil at 800 miles, then tracked it. Changed oil after every 3/4 track days. Engine blew last Friday. New engine coming this Friday.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
With all due respect I was only responding to your post #211 whereby you noted that our members have had 19 engine failures which represents a 6.3% failure rate amongst them.

At no time did I suggest that your numbers represent a true or accurate cross section of engine failure rate for the entire volume of FPC engines over the last 4 MY's and would ask that you reread my post #269 whereby I said "If" and was merely suggesting that your percentage of engine failures was certainly not accurate.

Since the 2015MY Ford has produced ~17,500 GT350/GT350R's and to suggest that Ford would have ~1100 engine failures based on a 6.3% failure rate would not be even close to being the case.

Obviously there are some very serious issues with numerous FPC engine failures but certainly not to the magnitude as some members on this forum are suggesting.

:cheers:
A certain percentage of these cars are not driven much so an expectation of 1100 cars is misleading. I for one would not be surprised if that 6+% rate held true on cars with say at least 10k miles on them which might be in the several hundreds. Any way to get that number from a Ford insider? Some thing definitely peculiar about the variable amount of oil usage in individual cars over time and between cars without regard to how they are driven, broken in, etc.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
I’m also of the mindset that this engine will use oil when not pushed and lugged around, which is the type of driving many cars see. In my car I will not see a change in oil level throughout an entire track day. After the 120 mile drive home the level drops a bit. The voodoo is akin to a race motor and it’s designed to be pushed hard. It’s just not designed to be lugged around. If it is it will likely use some oil. So what, big deal? I have not heard of an engine failure due to a motor consuming a quart every 1k miles or so? Pretty sure this is why Ford is saying oil consumption is normal?

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

I’m confused.
High rpm use does potentially correlate to more oil vapor in the crankcase, whether the rings are loaded or not.

I wouldn't expect lots of blow by with low load on the engine, though. I would think that some oil might actually get into the combustion chambers and get burned when the engine is operated under high rpm and low load.

High rpm and high g-loads on the car (sloshing the oil around in the crankcase) combined with high engine loads "should" IMO produce the most blow by with the most oil vapor in that blow by. That's why I think the catch cans would fill up the most on the track.

r1racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Have you guys tried Liqui Moly oil?

I just ordered a 18 gt350 on Friday and after reading this thread, it gave me pause on my purchase... But there's no other car I want so I'm going to hope I'm one of the folks that doesn't experience misfortune.

My Audi used to burn oil like crazy. I have an A6 putting down 400 AWHP and it used to burn about 1 quart every 1000-1500 miles. My shop switched me to Liqui moly and now I burn about 1 quart every 5k miles.

I also drive my Audi super hard. It has 90k miles on it and it's still going strong. The difference here is, the Audi doesn't come with a dipstick! The computer tells you when you're low and if you get too low, it just goes into limp mode, limits your red line to 4k and says to add more oil.

I'm not sure if the oil is good for this motor, but the German motors do well with it to reduce oil consumption.

Anyway, thought I'd share.

D.
Congrats and you're going to fall in love the tree fiddy. Believe it or not it's pretty smooth on the highway and somewhat comparable to a touring car other than the tramlining.

You sure you're not leaking oil? All Audis leak oil, lol. My A6 never uses more than a quart in between changes (10k miles). Also, you should change out the cap for a dipstick. Part number for the 3.0T C7 is 06E115611H.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
A certain percentage of these cars are not driven much so an expectation of 1100 cars is misleading. I for one would not be surprised if that 6+% rate held true on cars with say at least 10k miles on them which might be in the several hundreds. Any way to get that number from a Ford insider? Some thing definitely peculiar about the variable amount of oil usage in individual cars over time and between cars without regard to how they are driven, broken in, etc.
I'm inclined to agree with your suggestion with respect to several hundred vehicles possibly being in question especially if these high strung FPC engines are subjected to much high spirited driving and/or track time along with the odometer exceeding the 10K mark.

However I find it very interesting how some street driven only vehicles have had some issues while some other GT350/R's that have been track driven extensively and have accumulated well over 10,000 miles seem to require very little if any maintenance other than wear items such as brake pads, rotors, HP brake fluid and of course tires.

Have a car buddy in Eastern Canada who has a very early 2016 R model and has accumulated a lot of track time with no mechanical issues and only replacement wear parts as indicated above. Of course a new paint job is in order due to a fair amount of road rash from the track.

As far as getting insider information that would be very difficult to say the least as is the case with any manufacturer that produces HP vehicles.

;);)

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
I'm inclined to agree with your suggestion with respect to several hundred vehicles possibly being in question especially if these high strung FPC engines are subjected to much high spirited driving and/or track time along with the odometer exceeding the 10K mark.

However I find it very interesting how some street driven only vehicles have had some issues while some other GT350/R's that have been track driven extensively and have accumulated well over 10,000 miles seem to require very little if any maintenance other than wear items such as brake pads, rotors, HP brake fluid and of course tires.

Have a car buddy in Eastern Canada who has a very early 2016 R model and has accumulated a lot of track time with no mechanical issues and only replacement wear parts as indicated above. Of course a new paint job is in order due to a fair amount of road rash from the track.

As far as getting insider information that would be very difficult to say the least as is the case with any manufacturer that produces HP vehicles.

;);)
I also don’t think it’s coincidence the Track Attack cars have had the snot beat out of them since day one and are ironically nowhere near this hypothetical 6% insinuation....or is it 6.3%?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I also don’t think it’s coincidence the Track Attack cars have had the snot beat out of them since day one and are ironically nowhere near this hypothetical 6% insinuation....or is it 6.3%?
Great point about the Track Attack cars!

Of course if I ever bought one of the Track Attack cars which would typically be a PP/VP car one of the first things that I would look for would be the numbers matching engine and tranny along with numerous other areas.

I have a good car buddy not far from me who purchased three 2015 GT350 Ford exec cars all of which have ~14,000 to ~15,000 miles on each car with each of them running just fine and not aware of any oil/mechanical issues on any of them.

Based on the tire wear and chin spoiler condition the 3 execs who drove these cars did not spare the horses that is for sure.

Drove F0080 a few hundred miles back from N.C. to Georgia and it ran real strong and had a great time and really liked the Race Red body color with the Blue OTT stripes.

:cool: