Remove Center Speaker?

latericius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrés
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Nice! I also want to replace that speaker.
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I replaced the center speaker with a Polk Db351.
I tried it without the center speaker and it sounded better than with the crappy stock speaker.
However, with the Polk, it sounded MUCH better. Clean and a little extra high end.
This is due to the 4 ohm rating of the Polk, which tones it down a bit from the factory 2 ohm.
I mounted it from the bottom due to the poke of the tweeter, used the stock hardware.
Clipped the factory plug from the crappy speaker and made for a clean install.

This, combined with the Kicker pillar tweeters I installed wake the whole system up.
Anyone interested in the other Polk 3.5, let me know (only sold in pairs)

Caballoballo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josean
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt Premium
Saludos, just finished replacing the center channel speaker. After many comparisons between different options models and brands I decided to choose one of the Peerless by Tymphany (made by a Norwegian company) on part express, not expensive at all but with specs comparable to Cdt H3 so there wasn't much to loose. To my surprise the speaker is very well made and has a mighty sharp sound. Here is the p/n in case anybody wants to give it a try,
Peerless by Tymphany TC9FD00-04 3-1/2" Full-Range Line Array Driver 4 Ohm

Nik_Ind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang 5.0 GT Coupe
Just tried to replace the center speaker on my 2016 Mustang with premium Shaker audio (without subwoofer) and found out that it's rated 8ohm/12.5watt! Unbelievable! I just bought a pair of Infinity REFs rated at 4ohm, and now they're junk :frusty:

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
i just left mine disconnected. I didnt feel like digging around in the dash

Sponsored

Nik_Ind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sucks! I don's understand how it's possible for the front and rear channels to be at 4 Ohms and one center channel to be at 8!!! Or maybe they're simply using 8 Ohms at a lower wattage, whereas the channel is actually 4 Ohms. :shrug:

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
It sucks! I don's understand how it's possible for the front and rear channels to be at 4 Ohms and one center channel to be at 8!!! Or maybe they're simply using 8 Ohms at a lower wattage, whereas the channel is actually 4 Ohms. :shrug:
I believe that it's probably 8ohms to attenuate the signal... so center isn't louder than l/r. I'm sure you can still use your Infinity speaker, but the sound may be center dominant. You could also check out some of the 3.5"/4" 8ohm speakers at Parts Express that are usually well below $30...

Nik_Ind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe that it's probably 8ohms to attenuate the signal... so center isn't louder than l/r. I'm sure you can still use your Infinity speaker, but the sound may be center dominant. You could also check out some of the 3.5"/4" 8ohm speakers at Parts Express that are usually well below $30...
Hi Mumbles,

Just went through a lot of threads that you have posted in, great info that you've been sharing!:clap2:

I've wasted close to $300 on testing speakers alone! Finally, I have a setup that is much better than stock. I would agree that the sound is much more balanced after I disconnected the center speaker, the 3.5" mids (I have Infinity Ref 3022) seem to be performing better, along with crisp highs which weren't there before. I left the stock woofers in place, the ISS 165 components from Focal were a huge disappointment and robbed all the bass from the front. The rear deck has Focal RCX 165, which are decent at best, I'm not impressed at all since they struggle to keep up with the front mid-range.

Now, I'm planning to add Rockford Fosgate 10" subs in the trunk, so I might need to consider using the center speaker as well.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Hi Mumbles,

Just went through a lot of threads that you have posted in, great info that you've been sharing!:clap2:

I've wasted close to $300 on testing speakers alone! Finally, I have a setup that is much better than stock. I would agree that the sound is much more balanced after I disconnected the center speaker, the 3.5" mids (I have Infinity Ref 3022) seem to be performing better, along with crisp highs which weren't there before. I left the stock woofers in place, the ISS 165 components from Focal were a huge disappointment and robbed all the bass from the front. The rear deck has Focal RCX 165, which are decent at best, I'm not impressed at all since they struggle to keep up with the front mid-range.

Now, I'm planning to add Rockford Fosgate 10" subs in the trunk, so I might need to consider using the center speaker as well.
Thank you sir! There are a lot of good folks on this forum, always eager to help.

Sorry to hear that you've spent that amount of money and still aren't happy. It's very difficult to chose speakers that you can't listen to... if I go that way, I always rely on the opinions of people I know and trust.

Before laying out any more cash, I'd suggest dropping by the forums at Do It Yourself Mobile Audio (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/)... a huge population of folks that are interested in car audio. There are a number of sub-forums dealing with system design, component choice, etc... so it's a really good spot to get pointers from. There is an well respected individual there that goes by the screen name of "sqnut", and he is also located in India, maybe near you? :)

Nik_Ind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks again! I'll have a look at those forums as well and I just checked that 'sqnut' is located close by, so I'll get in touch with him soon.

Cheers! :hail:

Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Thanks again! I'll have a look at those forums as well and I just checked that 'sqnut' is located close by, so I'll get in touch with him soon.

Cheers! :hail:
Let me be the first to warn you... once you start down the path of building a "better" system, it become a sickness! :D

Nik_Ind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me be the first to warn you... once you start down the path of building a "better" system, it become a sickness! :D
Hahaha :lol: I agree! But I'm sure I'll settle once the bass is balanced out with the overall system. I'm in no mood to go overboard with the audio, got other cosmetic mods lined up :p

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Hahaha :lol: I agree! But I'm sure I'll settle once the bass is balanced out with the overall system. I'm in no mood to go overboard with the audio, got other cosmetic mods lined up :p
Sure, that's what they all say... :lol:

Nik_Ind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Toothless17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2017 Mustang GT PP
Hey man what brand was this video install with? and what di you end up going with?
Sponsored