Sponsored

Remain Stock?

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
When viewing the forums, you see so many options for 'upgrades' to Mustang, and thus so much choice. Almost overwhelming at times; but choice can be good.

Alas, are you one that is going to leave your Mustang 'stock'?
After all, some have spent $35k plus, for a Mustang, and might not necessarily want to spend more on mods/upgrades. Plus, some might have the concern about warranty.

Just curious on the public's point of view.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
When viewing the forums, you see so many options for 'upgrades' to Mustang, and thus so much choice. Almost overwhelming at times; but choice can be good.

After all, some have spent $35k plus, for a Mustang, and might not necessarily want to spend more on mods/upgrades. Plus, some might have the concern about warranty.

I was tuned with headers by the time I hit 5k miles. If you use a reputable tuner and put a few miles on your engine, it should be good to go. It's not like these tunes are taking these cars way out of their safe range. They are very mild tuned from the factory and the tunes just put them at where they should be.

One of the best decisions I made early on aside from paint protection film and paint coating.

Tom C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible

I'm in a different mindset with my '18 GT ragtop than I was with my '14 GT 'vert. I did the mod thing, received a fair amount of trophies and awards (many undeserved) and it constantly turned heads even up until last Monday when it was traded in.

IMHO I felt that the retro vibe of the S197 platform lent itself very well to mods. Not so much the S550...it's a beautiful design. And my 2018 is the first car I've ever ordered specific to my tastes. I got the modding thing out of my system and wanted a Mustang that would turn heads on it's own merits (active exhaust handles that task very well). I'll still enter shows but I have no expectations of successfully competing against Mustangs and other cars in my class.

Minor stuff perhaps...I've replaced the stock leather shift knob with a retro cue-ball style, and hood struts and a shorty antenna are likely. But I'm leaving mine largely unmolested.
IMG_2146.JPG
C10.JPG

Mike's Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 401A
Intake and exhaust to make it sound better. Replaced incandescent bulbs with LEDs inside and switchback turn signals to make it look better. That's all I've done and all I plan on doing.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Each time I buy a car I realize how not necessary it is to modify cars that come from the factory with nice options. It seems like each iteration of cars become more and more customized looking. Everytime I purchased a car the first thing I was doing was going online already planning on what to upgrade and didn't even drive or learn the car but that lessoned each time I got a new one. Now with the 2018 I look at it and truly feel like there is nothing that needs to be done to do. I think the stance looks great, the exhaust sounds great, it rides smoothly and its fast.

People spend THOUSANDS (myself include. I spent around 8K on my last WRX in performance bolt ons alone) for performance mods that only yield less than a second/few extra MPH to the actual speed of the car. Everything looks huge on paper when it's broken down by thousandths of a second but on the street it literally equals an extra half length of a car in terms of how further ahead you get... think about it... for thousands of dollars lol. I think a lot of it comes down to the same mentality we had in school. We wanted to wear name brand clothes, nice shoes, etc so to feel cool, fit in and to keep up with your friends. People will probably deny this, but it's true somewhat. Everyone want's to be a little faster, better wheels, etc, than their buddies.

It's also nice having that mentality of never having to worry about a dealer or Ford question you when an issue irses for work. Every time I start modding cars I seem to become more and more paranoid each part and thinking "well if something happens I could be screwed" which then prevents you from fully enjoying a car.
PSX_20180509_062544.jpg

Sponsored

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
full Steeda suspension, Longtubes, X-pipe, axleback, custom tune, grill delete, intake change, cold air, interior pieces, otherwise car is stock!

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
For the most part, I have tried to add some personal touches to the cars I own.

On my '17 GT, I have in the garage waiting to install some minor upgrades that should enhance the overall experience of the car.

GT350 strut tower brace, Ford Performance oil catch can, Ford Performance power pack 1, jacking rails, BMW cradle lockout, GT350 halfshafts.

For the most part those upgrades don't add power, but improve on some shortcomings of the factory car.

All I have planned after those are possibly a GT350 steering wheel and maybe a nice cue ball shift knob.

I also plan on changing out transmission oil for BG Syncro Shift II.

But each person has their own ideas. I prefer understated upgrades that don't attract too much attention.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
It all started with a shift knob, which I had before the car arrived at the dealership.....

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I'm using it as my DD while it's still under warranty. Probably the only mod I would consider at this time is a Ford Performance tune (if they ever release one for 2018s!). Once the warranty is up, the plan is to morph it into more of a dedicated track car. All bets are off!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You just need to figure out what you want the car to do better/differently than it does, research, research, research and choose wisely. My car doesn't scream modified at all if you see it parked somewhere. Sure, it has some nice, classy, non-OE wheels, some big exhaust tips, and looks a just a little lower, but you'd have to know your S550 stuff to be sure. I went for tangible improvements in handling over almost all else, without significant compromise to daily driving; I achieved that. Engine stuff beyond a tune is a slippery slope, so if there's any area to really exercise restraint, it's that, IMO.

Sponsored

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
I have a 16gtpp and it is completely stock, original tires still almost 20k miles on her. Only thing ive put on it was a new oil filter and changed the oil. Its perfect the way it is to me!

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I was perfectly content in stock form until I joined this place.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Just a tune and exhaust. Then I'll be happy.

Oh look, that intake looks cool, and who wouldn't love a few extra ponies?

Wow those wheels look great! I could fetch a few bucks for the stock wheels and tires and get some new shoes. That would be sweet.

Hmm, the shifter is driving me crazy. Hey, that MGW one seems to be getting really good reviews. I'll try that one!

Before you know it, you're at 1000hp, have a powder coated roll bar and a 5 point racing harness and you're obsessed with oil and coolant temps and wondering if you're maintaining the proper fuel pressure at the rail under 18 pounds of boost.

Down the modding hole we go...

BoostedBen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Premium
The best/worst thing you can do (depending on your curiosity level) is to find someone with a mustang that has forced induction on it.

Go for a ride with them, or even better, see if they'll let you drive it.

Game over. Happy Modding. Never look back.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
STOCK :thumbsup:

Snow Tires and Steeda Jacking Rails for me.
The best Mod I did was buying a 2010 Silverado so I don't need to drive the Mustang in the snow anymore.

Keeping mine Stock. I'll have car payments for 3 and 1/2 more years and I can't afford to have something break and NOT have it covered with warranty. I've got a kid in college sucking my wallet dry so I'm lucky I have the car.

It's pretty fast the way it is. I got a speeding ticket the 1st month I had it so I would know :headbang:
Sponsored