Rear window support brackets on convertible

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Anyone able to get a closeup picture of the window bracket's hole!

If anyone has their top worked on and can get pictures and /or report if there are breakable tabs inside the bracket's female insert, that would be GREAT. :headbang:

If my driver's side pops out again, I'll try sticking my camera up there for some blind photos.
Sponsored

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I checked mine with the top up, haven't a chance to lower it half way but if I can feel the rod on each side of the window I should be OK right?
Correct, if you can feel the rod on both sides you have no issue. Don't go yanking on them! LOL ;)

Too bad a poll cannot be added to an existing thread. It would be very interesting to know how many have this issue. Both mine were off. I had no idea.

mpwillis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Vert, '92 911 Cabrio
Regarding the female fitting (part of the glass??) haven't been able to find a part number for that yet. Diagram posted came from fordparts.com but didn't include the glass. Glass didn't seem to have female fitting as integral part so will keep looking. I'll keep searching. If anyone can get pics please post.
Btw this may be a source of a pita rattle I've been having!

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
still waiting to get my car back Monday and I'll check as well

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mpwillis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Vert, '92 911 Cabrio
My drivers side stayed re-put for several top cycles and now has popped back out. Seemingly no ill effect, but too many moving parts in a vert top to write this off.

Sponsored

OP
OP

drstara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
Mine was escalated to Ford last Tuesday/Wednesday. Still waiting to hear back.

Thanks for all your reply's and please keep giving your updates. I do have a case number at Ford that I am happy to provide if you pm me.

OP
OP

drstara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is what mine did as well. I would ask that if you dealer does not immediately escalate to Ford that you do so yourself. I dont believe Ford understands that this is an issues yet.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
My drivers side stayed re-put for several top cycles and now has popped back out. Seemingly no ill effect, but too many moving parts in a vert top to write this off.
On the one you 're-put' into the socket, do you recall if you were unable to pull it right back out easily, or if you could not pull it out. Both of mine were out when this thread made me aware to look for window struts. My passenger side was unable to be easily pulled back out, my driver's side was able to be pulled out easily by hand. It has only had a few cycles still, but both are still in place.

1) When you push them back in, pull outward and see if they stay securely or can be easily popped out with your hand.
2) If anyone with one or both still in place from the factory, please confirm that the 3/4" nylon straps are to be 'outside' the strut bar. I'm pretty sure that is correct, but both of mine were off, so I cannot be positive.

Thanks

REF: See post # 26 for pictures and a 'How To' on putting struts back into place in the brackets at the middle of window sides.

OP
OP

drstara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When putting the rods in where they belong, and then pull outward, they were in pretty tight, but i will admit, I did not pull out too hard. Did not want to break them.

No idea where the nylon straps are, but will look, though both of mine are disconnected at the moment.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Great info guys. Both of mine are popped off. Passenger side might stick but drivers side is bad. I could barely get my forearm in there. I will have to take it back to dealer and see what's what.

One things certain, the window is much sturdier with the brackets in place.

Chris

Last edited:

Sponsored

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Great info guys. Both of mine are popped off. Passenger side might stick but drivers side is bad. I could barely get my forearm in there. I will half to take it back to dealer and see what's what.

One things certain, the window is much sturdier with the brackets in place.

Chris
Chris,
Did you have the top half way retracted as I described in post #26? I was able to get my arms in there and the assembly was relaxed and easy to maneuver the rod into the hole. No way I could do it with the top 100% closed (up). Everything was under tension and way too tight.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Yes Dave I did try that but the glass was laying flat and I couldn't access it so had to almost close the top completely. Out of town now so I will play with it when I return.

Thanks,

Chris

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Yes Dave I did try that but the glass was laying flat and I couldn't access it so had to almost close the top completely. Out of town now so I will play with it when I return.

Thanks,

Chris
When I re-plugged in both my rods (with top 1/2 open as described), yes the glass is laying loose and flat in bottom of stow area. But I am able to feel the mounting bracket on side of window, move it to get it near rod end, then pull rod to make it pop into bracket. I am 6' and my forearms are not big. Maybe that makes it easier for me with long arms. Maybe you could borrow some smaller arms. ;)

Good luck Chris

HBTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
I also cannot get my forearm in enough to maneuver anything. I can feel the support lying on the floor of the space and can move it, but cannot get it in to the slot/connector on the window. Do I have to remove anything to get access?

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I also cannot get my forearm in enough to maneuver anything. I can feel the support lying on the floor of the space and can move it, but cannot get it in to the slot/connector on the window. Do I have to remove anything to get access?
Are you trying to reach the remount spot from directly under it? I don't. I reach in from forward of the seat back, IIRC. I'm reaching the spot sort of horizontally vs. vertically (from bottom), if that makes any sense.
Sponsored