Sponsored

Rear End Knock/Release Knock

Lnesprido

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have a 15 Mustang GT with PP with about 4K miles on it. Within the last few weeks I've begun hearing like a knock or shifting releasing sound from the rear end. Not sure yet where it's coming from. It sounds like the break pad releasing or some shifting in the rear gear or axle. It only happens if I've been sit a bit, primarily on an incline (but not exclusive) and put it in gear and begin moving forward.

Anyone experience this and/or what this can be coming from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
Do you have hill start assist on? I have never used this feature but that is the only thing I can think of that fits all of your scenario. The feature works by applying the brakes for you for a brief moment as you take off on a hill. If you are driving off faster than it disengages the brakes that may be what you are hearing. Try turning that off (if on) and report back.

OP
OP

Lnesprido

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I'll try turning it off completely, but I've felt the hill assist engaging/engaged and I think it my be different. Only thing I could think of was perhaps it engage "somewhat prematurely".

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
only after sitting over night?

Sponsored

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Mine only does it after I wash it and let it sit before driving it. I'm pretty sure it's the e-brake. Next time I wash it I'm not going to set the e-brake just to see.

bigb996

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT, 89 wrangler Sahara
Mine has done it after sitting for multiple days or after washing and not driving after. I'm confident it's the e brake. Sometimes it's louder than others but afterwards it's fine. Just a weird thing they do I think. The hill start doesn't contribute to this

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
I asked about hill start since the OP mentioned inclines as a specific thing that triggers it.

OP
OP

Lnesprido

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
So I turned off the hill assist and I still have the knock. I'll be taking her in within the next few weeks for her oil change before putting her away for the winter. Hopefully when shes up on the lift we can shake the rear around and see what might be going on. I noticed it happens when transitioning from different elevations (hills). I live around a few good size hills and when coming off a hill onto a flat road. You might hear it. Maybe suspension?

My 1st GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bone stock 2015 Mustang GT
Click noise in rear driver side

I have a 2015 gt 6 speed . This is kind of hard to explain but I've noticed the sound comes when starting from a stand still or if I'm already rolling in 1 gear let off in same gear then hit the gas again while in same gear then I will hear a click noise. Happens every time when taking off from a stop. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Just noticed this in the beginning of the winter. I turned off hill assist just to see if that had anything to do with it but still hear a loud click. It's really embarrassing since this is a new car. Any help?

Desta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
Your axle nuts could be loose
Sponsored