Sponsored

Rationale for choosing Ecoboost HPP over GT?

Onewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I was curious if anyone could explain the rationale for why someone would choose an Ecoboost HPP over a GT when the HPP appears to cost more than the GT yet the performance of the HPP seems to be much lower than the GT?

What am I missing?

Thanks.
Sponsored

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
It's simple really; "because".

Someone will choose the model they want "because". Your rationale and mine may be completely different.

Want a V8? Get a GT
Want a Turbo 4? Get an Ecoboost
Want a V8 with lots of features? Get a PREMIUM
Want a Turbo 4 with lots of features? Get an Ecoboost HPP

My GT (Supercharged) runs like 12.8 Litres per 100 KM (on the HIGHWAY) however a friend of mine drives an Ecoboost and said "Wow, mine got into the 10 Litres per 100km the other day and I was surprised". She also said, when buying it, "I don't need 460hp cause I'm a girl".

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
I was curious if anyone could explain the rationale for why someone would choose an Ecoboost HPP over a GT when the HPP appears to cost more than the GT yet the performance of the HPP seems to be much lower than the GT?

What am I missing?

Thanks.
Turbo guys, they like what they like. To each is own. Whatever makes one happy. =)
Anthony

Last edited:

Magnetic Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think if you're comparing the HHP to a base GT, the GT will be cheaper but the 2 with the same options, the GT with the Performance Pack will be thousands more. With the HHP over the base GT you get a lot of features the base GT won't have. The HPP will be lighter and more fuel efficient. So it's all just a pro's and con's situation for the buyer.

Sponsored

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Same thing I think about when I get a chocolate long John. Why do people get maple? It just drives me crazy

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Performance Package
V8 or nothing. If you want a turbo 4 cylinder why are you looking at Mustangs? It's a disgrace, just get a Kia Forte GT.
A disgrace? Seems rather harsh for a car that outperforms most V8 Mustangs prior to the introduction of the Coyote.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
A fully loaded Eco HPP will run you about $41,005. Technically the GT base option msrp is $38,345. I personally have never seen a GT sell for 38k. No one options the car with the absolute base option except for the rental car agencies. Adding the 10At will add about 2k to the price tag anyways.

I think for a lot of the people there is still a misconception that our v8s are terrible on gas milage and are underivable. So people opt for the eco boost to "save money" on gas and be an easier daily driver. My GT gets about 30 mpg on the highway and in normal D mode its actually quite easy to drive.

So I honestly think the rationale for buying an HPP comes down to the buyer either not fully understanding the GT and how good it really is. Or they want to save on insurance, as the GT is a lot more on that point.

However, I do have to admit the HPP is a very very good car, light and a surprisingly stout engine, just not worth the 41k most people pay for it IMO.

RowdyRam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Vehicle(s)
22 GT DMG 6M Coupe
I looked at an Ecoboost HPP before deciding on my GT. I gotta say, that platform/package is quite nice and I almost pulled the trigger. I had already rationalized that the throwback to SVTs of the past were cool and all that.

I would have been happy with one, seriously. Having had an '08 GT, the performance was on par with it, and everything else was more refined and just better. In the end I decided on the GT not because of the price but because, well, it's really what I wanted.

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
V8 or nothing. If you want a turbo 4 cylinder why are you looking at Mustangs? It's a disgrace, just get a Kia Forte GT.
I hate being snobby and I know it’s unbecoming. But this right here pretty much says it all for me. The Mustang can be equipped any way you want it, but IMO it’ll never be a true sports car like a Corvette simply because you can get them with a turbo 4.

I still prefer the Mustang but only V-8 equipped.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
I've driven a 10spd HPP w/HP back to back against a 10spd GT PP1. The HPP is noticeably lighter in the front end and the way it's tuned it feels punchier at low-mid RPM than the GT.
That's because the boost kicks in really early on those. Although I have to disagree here, I put my GT in drag mode and launched it hard and the HPP did not even come close to the violence our coyote is capable of right off the line.

dtheo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Buyer
Personally I wish Ford would not even offer anything other than V8 versions, I think anything less cheapens the brand. Heck, even Ford puts on these skinny-ass tires on the GT's and it looks like shiz. Ford just ruins the brand when they try to cater to all demographics.

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
A fully loaded Eco HPP will run you about $41,005. Technically the GT base option msrp is $38,345. I personally have never seen a GT sell for 38k. No one options the car with the absolute base option except for the rental car agencies. Adding the 10At will add about 2k to the price tag anyways.

I think for a lot of the people there is still a misconception that our v8s are terrible on gas milage and are underivable. So people opt for the eco boost to "save money" on gas and be an easier daily driver. My GT gets about 30 mpg on the highway and in normal D mode its actually quite easy to drive.

So I honestly think the rationale for buying an HPP comes down to the buyer either not fully understanding the GT and how good it really is. Or they want to save on insurance, as the GT is a lot more on that point.

However, I do have to admit the HPP is a very very good car, light and a surprisingly stout engine, just not worth the 41k most people pay for it IMO.
I went from a new base eco (23k) to a new base GT lol (36k). don't really care for interior/bigger screen/luxuries, perfectly fine as is for me
Sponsored