Sponsored

Rare problem: 5th/6th gear bucking/surging and cruise control not working

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Quick update to report this problem continues. Have tried to run at Daytona now three separate events and all result in the hesitation problem, including check engine light flashing and then staying on with misfire codes. Ford repair attempts now include spark plugs, coil packs, crank speed sensor, tsb 18-2322. Add this to the previous brake light switch, flywheel & clutch. Have gotten the local field service engineer involved as am desperate for a resolution.
If you have done all this, see my data point and tell them to tear down and inspect your transmission. Mine had a cracked bell housing and chewed gears. It’s possible something is slipping in your trans. Like I said above, the new trans and clutch totally fixed my surging issues, now verified with 1,000 miles and 4 track days.
Sponsored

pbrmeasap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R & 2016 Charger SRT392
If you have done all this, see my data point and tell them to tear down and inspect your transmission. Mine had a cracked bell housing and chewed gears. It’s possible something is slipping in your trans. Like I said above, the new trans and clutch totally fixed my surging issues, now verified with 1,000 miles and 4 track days.
Just off the phone with the service manager. They are replacing the tranny as well as the intake manifold. Hoping either or both of those items finally resolves.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Just off the phone with the service manager. They are replacing the tranny as well as the intake manifold. Hoping either or both of those items finally resolves.
My bet is they will find issues with the gears in the trans. Keep us posted, good luck, I know how frustrating this problem is with 1+ year of the issue myself before finally getting it fixed.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was the flange nut. Inexpensive fix.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine was not, it was done twice and not fixed. I guess it's possible they did it wrong twice (Ford dealer incompetence is quite common), and only when installing the new trans was it done properly.

Sponsored

censport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW M3/2011 BMW X5/ 2017 GT350R
i'm having the exact same issue you had. A/C is not working and getting the stumble in 5th and 6th. could you elaborate on what you did to fix this? it took care of both problems?

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i'm having the exact same issue you had. A/C is not working and getting the stumble in 5th and 6th. could you elaborate on what you did to fix this? it took care of both problems?
AIr conditioning is unrelated. He is talking about the transmission output shaft flange nut TSB that is posted somewhere here for gt350s that can cause these symptoms.

pbrmeasap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R & 2016 Charger SRT392
My bet is they will find issues with the gears in the trans. Keep us posted, good luck, I know how frustrating this problem is with 1+ year of the issue myself before finally getting it fixed.
They didn't tear town the transmission, just replaced it - so no way to know the exact point of failure. I can report the hesitation seems to be resolved!

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They didn't tear town the transmission, just replaced it - so no way to know the exact point of failure. I can report the hesitation seems to be resolved!
Great news! Seems like we have pretty good data now that it’s a trans issue on this surging in 5th/6th.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Watching this thread. My car just started bucking/hesitating mostly in 3rd gear. At first I thought it was bad gas - seemed to get better when I filled the tank. But now it's back and the wrench light came on once, plus a note that hill assist was off. When I restarted the car, at first it wouldn't start and "engage clutch" popped up even tho it was engaged. A second try it started up. Wrench light never came back on. Going in for service next week.

Sponsored

loco_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Watching this thread. My car just started bucking/hesitating mostly in 3rd gear. At first I thought it was bad gas - seemed to get better when I filled the tank. But now it's back and the wrench light came on once, plus a note that hill assist was off. When I restarted the car, at first it wouldn't start and "engage clutch" popped up even tho it was engaged. A second try it started up. Wrench light never came back on. Going in for service next week.
My car was doing the same thing about a year ago and it was the flange nut. Once they fixed that everything was back to normal.

Last edited:

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly what my 17R did as I’ve posted here. Flange nut didn’t fix mine, a new transmission and clutch did after they found chunks missing from the flywheel and gears. I lived with the issue for awhile, eventually lost reverse gear and then lost 5th gear before they tore down the trans and replaced everything. Zero issues since that happened 18+ or so months ago.

Eta: I never saw engage clutch message or has starting issues, but this is defiantly trans or clutch related. I hope the flange nut is the free and easy fix, if not you need to open up the trans bell housing (mine was visably cracked from the outside, perhaps overtorquwd or misaligned at factory) and look at the gears and clutch plates.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Exactly what my 17R did as I’ve posted here. Flange nut didn’t fix mine, a new transmission and clutch did after they found chunks missing from the flywheel and gears. I lived with the issue for awhile, eventually lost reverse gear and then lost 5th gear before they tore down the trans and replaced everything. Zero issues since that happened 18+ or so months ago.

Eta: I never saw engage clutch message or has starting issues, but this is defiantly trans or clutch related. I hope the flange nut is the free and easy fix, if not you need to open up the trans bell housing (mine was visably cracked from the outside, perhaps overtorquwd or misaligned at factory) and look at the gears and clutch plates.
Well everything is under powertrain or extended warranty so it is what it is. Already have a 2nd motor due to oil consumption, might as well get a new tranny!

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well everything is under powertrain or extended warranty so it is what it is. Already have a 2nd motor due to oil consumption, might as well get a new tranny!
Glad to hear it. Mine was under warranty at the time too, sadly they said my clutch that had chunks missing was a “wear item” (even though it was not worn and only 11k miles) and I owed $3200 for that. I fought them and eventually paid $1800 or so for the parts online. I had to file a magnuson moss lawsuit to get compensated for that (among other things).

Awesome car, but I’ve found ford’s service to be more than lacking in some regards which is why I put a deposit on a c8 z06 two years ago and never considered adding a GT500. If they treat a Raptor and R owner who bought them both new like that, I’ll shop elseware for new vehicles until sowmtbhng changes. Best of luck.
Sponsored