Random misfire during start sometimes

alrodri8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Ok guys, I figure someone on here might off suggestions. So I installed the Whipple 2.9 Stage 2 kit this weekend and have also data-logged WOT pulls with my NGauge and all looks good. I also performed my crank relearn while the car was at operating temperature. It ran a few 6.9s in the 8th mile at the track last night where I did my logging. The issue I'm having is, shortly after turning my car off, then turn the car one a few minutes afterwards, I get a random misfire code on cylinder 8 in the first 1000 revolutions(checking codes with my NGauge). It did not happen this morning when my car was started when completely cold and seems to happen randomly when starting the car. I have been clearing the code and seeing if it happens again after the first 1000 revolutions and it does not happen. Also this morning when I started it, it also seemed to have trouble finding steady idle for about 2-3 seconds, that was from a complete cold start but it did not misfire that time. I performed a crank relearn again this morning, went to pump fuel at Shells with 93 octane. Started the car pulled forward about 5 or so seconds after startup and got the random misfire on cylinder 8 code again. Cleared it and it did not happen on the drive home. I also seem to get a secondary O2 sensors rich code when it happens SOMETIMES and SOMETIMES at the same time as the random misfire in first 1000 revs code. I usually clear the secondary O2 rich code because I have vibrant defoulers, although that code happens more randomly. My question is, what could be causing that cylinder 8 misfire(also sometimes says cyl 6 along with cyl 8 sometimes) during first 100 revs code?

Thanks in advance, I tried to be as descriptive as possible.
Sponsored

Jeff_oddo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Check plugs...

OP
OP
alrodri8

alrodri8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Did that, I moved Coil pack and plug from cylinder 8 to Cylinder 2 and Vice Versa. Thing is, I don't hear a misfire and the car does not get the code after its cleared. Still the same thing, I'm leaning towards a crankshaft position sensor.

These are the codes word for word, again only sometimes and near startup.

P0316(Confirmed) - Misfire Detected on Startup (First 1000 Revolutions)
P0308(Pending) - Cylinder 8 Misfire Detected

Sponsored

Tornado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt pp - white
I had something similar in my f-series truck. Cleaning the MAF sensor resolved it for me. Good luck

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Did that, I moved Coil pack and plug from cylinder 8 to Cylinder 2 and Vice Versa. Thing is, I don't hear a misfire and the car does not get the code after its cleared. Still the same thing, I'm leaning towards a crankshaft position sensor.

These are the codes word for word, again only sometimes and near startup.

P0316(Confirmed) - Misfire Detected on Startup (First 1000 Revolutions)
P0308(Pending) - Cylinder 8 Misfire Detected
Im going through exact thing,excat,but u have whipple,on mine i think i might havd broke my imrc when doing clutch.I know u dont have them now with whipple but i will let u know what ifind out.

OP
OP
alrodri8

alrodri8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Did u resolve this
I did resolve the issue. The codes were not confirmed misfires but were pending misfires. What I did was run a KOER test and it gave me a code that says the post catalytic O2s were not functioning properly or were switched. I basically had the secondary O2s slip flopped. Once switching them back to their appropriate connector I stopped receiving the misfire pending codes. :headbonk:

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I thought the upstream and downstream 02's had different connectors,i could be wrong though.

Sponsored

Nerass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Premium GT
dumb question.. is it easy to swap the left and right side unintentionally? maybe this may be my issue lol

OP
OP
alrodri8

alrodri8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
dumb question.. is it easy to swap the left and right side unintentionally? maybe this may be my issue lol
It was real easy for me lol. I actually did this several times :doh:

Nerass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Premium GT
cool im gonna check that out
Sponsored