Sponsored

Race tires

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Looks like BFG Rivals are the best bang for the buck.
Rivals aren't really "race tires". But they might be the best choice for now in FS or STU. They will get raped in ESP though, where you need real R compounds to compete (preferably Hoosiers).
Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
the selection of 17 inch tires is amazing and affordable.. but i dont think you are going to get 17s on any corner of a gt pp.

i have been running track events for about 10 years now.. i have burned through re01r, star specs, this last time i decide to give the supersports a shot, was going to buy the rivals..

i drive my track car to and from the track, that is it. it just sits in the garage other than that.

the supersports as much as i hate to say it are a great tire, in terms of grip and feel up to the extreme performance tires i have run.

i have one track day on them.. but have pulled them off to look at brakes. well. they barely showed the track event.. a bit on the left front, but roebling road is hard on that tire..

also at that time i found a broken sway bar mount that i likley had at daytona, and that explained a lot! :(

and the good news is you can rotate them front to back or all the way around..

i have been a die hard extreme performance tire for the track guy, but i have let that go.

the same time i let go buying a car that would put me at 170mph into turn one at roebling road.

still want to have fun, but just in extreme moderation!!!!

beers
But if he's giving choosing rubber strictly for track duty, wouldn't any Michelin cup tire would be more suitable than their PSSs?

Or any sub-200 rated compound for that matter...

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
But if he's giving choosing rubber strictly for track duty, wouldn't any Michelin cup tire would be more suitable than their PSSs?

Or any sub-200 rated compound for that matter...

Cup tires are definitely stickier but they are also damn near twice as expensive and will wear out much faster. For competition use the Cup is superior, but for open track use I'd rather get more seat time out of my tires than simply turning a slightly faster lap.

Tom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Daily Driver
Cup tires are definitely stickier but they are also damn near twice as expensive and will wear out much faster. For competition use the Cup is superior, but for open track use I'd rather get more seat time out of my tires than simply turning a slightly faster lap.

What would be your thought's about using the Bridgestone RE-11 tires for track use?

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Recent test in Sports Car (SCCA member magazine) ranked the current crop of ultra performance street tires as:

Dry performance - Hankook RS3, Bridgestone RE11, BFG Rival, Dunlop Direza Z11 Star Spec

Wet performance - Bridgestone & Dunlop (tie), BFG, Hankooks.

The Hankooks are typically cheapest and the Bridgestone typically the most expensive.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Also a concern with these tires, they are often optimized for Autocross use. Which can mean they don't like the higher prolonged heat of a road course, especially in heavy cars like the Mustang.

Budwise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
RE11's are excellent, but priced so close to the Pilot Super Sports there's no reason to get them.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
What would be your thought's about using the Bridgestone RE-11 tires for track use?
RE11's are excellent, but priced so close to the Pilot Super Sports there's no reason to get them.
The RE-11 is a very good street tire but as Budwise mentioned for the price most would choose the (IMO higher performing) Michelin Super Sports over the Bridgestones.

Tom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Daily Driver
Thanks for info guy's. No autocross for me, track day's only. Michelin Super Sports it is. :thumbsup:

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
Recent test in Sports Car (SCCA member magazine) ranked the current crop of ultra performance street tires as:

Dry performance - Hankook RS3, Bridgestone RE11, BFG Rival, Dunlop Direza Z11 Star Spec

Wet performance - Bridgestone & Dunlop (tie), BFG, Hankooks.

The Hankooks are typically cheapest and the Bridgestone typically the most expensive.
i have driven 3 out of the 4 tires here on track.. and as you said they are ultra performance tires.

they all are great for track use, and i mean track.. i dont autox.

but, i gave the mich ss a shot this time. they fall into the max performance group.. i dont time my laps, but after one day at roebling road. i think they are in the same league as the extreme performance group. and from the look of it i am going to get a huge amount of extended seat time with them..

i am kinda shocked..

beers

Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
For autocross and track days with street tires Re11 and star specs are the two top choices. Hankooks are, pretty good. I liked the old rs2s.

I personally want star specs.

From what I've read Michelin pss are good but just not as good as the "big four" autocross and track street tires.

I may use the pss' as a street tire if I get a set of dedicated track wheels.

However if you want to be competitive, you probably just want to go with Hoosiers

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cayman, 2023 Lighning
I've been told that the Hankook RS-3 is the street tire that has characteristics closest to autocross R-Comps (hoosier A-6), conveniently, they are also some of the cheapest Autocross oriented street tires.

Of the Mods the OP has, it puts him in STU if he wants to stay on streets, ESP if he wants R-comps.

I ran Dunlop Starspecs on both my subaru, and BMW's and they are just an awesome all around tire, at least for our Weather. They provide grip literally until they cord.