Sponsored

Quality wrench set recommendation

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST
I'm in the market for a quality wrench set. Just looking for either open end wrenches or the sweet ratcheting ends. But:

1) Preferably made in USA, or at least Western Europe
2) Preferably forged or something else awesome
3) At least 10-20 sizes, like 10 SAE and 10 metric
4) Less than $200 if possible but educate me on the market
Sponsored

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
I like all of my Kobalt stuff. The only thing I don't really like is they don't etch the sizes into their sockets so after some wear they are hard to read.

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Go to Harbor Freight, pay 1/10th the price. If one breaks, get another.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
get ones with ratcheting ends, gives you a lot more flexibility

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
B

Bad bad advice. It ain't worth the busted knuckles and rounded off bolt heads. If you like bleeding and cussing and having to grind out bolts, do what he says.

That said....

I use craftsman only. I have used the warranty twice in 20 years, both times on ratchets that worn out but still functioned. Never broke a socket. But I admit I'm a huge right tool fanatic. I have bout 10 grand in tools (I build cars for hobby).

Kobalt has a lifetime warranty also. Never used them though. I know people who do and who have broken sockets but I don't know if they abused them (i.e., regular socket on an impact).

Sponsored

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
Yeah don't do that. I bought a set of interior trim piece removal tools from there but that's about where I draw the line.

Dramad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Blk
Matco and snap on are excellent but pricey. I wish I had some, currently using craftsman and have for years with no issues. Great for the money imo.

5-OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I've used Crafstman products for years and although they're quality has faded over the years they still have a warranty for life, my grandad left me his Sears Roebuck hand tools when he passed away, and I still use them today.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
for obscure tools you dont use often HF is fine but your mainstay of tools, get some decent ones. Had a husky set for years thats held up fine, wasnt too expensive

OP
OP
ConspicuousConsumption

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
I definitely had my heart set on Craftsman but I'm seeing that most of theirs are now made in China. I mean, so is my iPhone so I don't think Made in China means they're bad, but hand tools are kinda one of those 'merica things. What do you all think?

Here's a sweet looking set for a good price, but again, made in China. http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-...p-00946820000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I have that set also. But let me make a rec. Don't immediately get ratcheting. Neither the ratchet end nor the open end will give you enough to really grab a stubborn bolt. The open end will flex and round off and the ratchet can only take so much before it'll wreck it. You really need a good set of boxed end wrenches to get those real tight or real stuck bolts. That's more important than a ratchet, especially if you have a ratchet set (you should!). I actually have 3 sets each standard and metric (open/boxed long pattern, open/ratchet, short pattern open/boxed). Do I need that many wrenches? Never. I gathered over the years. But if I had to choose one set, would be a normal length open/boxed set (which, ironically, is the only one I don't, the long pattern is my favorite but they can't get into a lot of places so I have short pattern for that, and the ratchet is normal pattern length).

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
If you are looking for a decent wrench set of quality that won't break the bank, I've found that Gear Wrench makes good stuff. I've always been a Craftsman guy until they started making wrenches in China. You will find that many of your decent wrenches made overseas are made in Taiwan and not China. There is a difference. Gear Wrench is made in Taiwan as an example.

Start with your basic combination wrench sets and then build out from there. A ratcheting box end is not going to be your best friend if you are trying to bust loose a stubborn bolt. Save the ratchet wrenches for later when you can afford more.

When by rolling box was pilfered (long story) I had to just about rebuilt from scratch. I started with a good set of Wright combo wrenches in SAE and metric and then built out from there. I now have a lot Gear Wrench.

Here is an example at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-81...&sr=8-2&keywords=gearwrench+metric+wrench+set

OP
OP
ConspicuousConsumption

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, fellas. Not sure how I missed this, but here is a Craftsman Professional Use (i.e., Made in USA) 16 piece for $49. http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-industrial-16-piece-6-point-combination-wrench/p-00948987000P

The issue is that it's missing 10, 12, and 13mm wrenches. Probably a ploy by Craftsman to get you to buy more.

I think I'll start with this set and then figure out the ratcheting ones. Man, they look so cool, but I'll surrender to you more knowledgeable folks and get the boxed end ones and hunt around for a good 10mm, since they don't sell the Craftsman 10mm pro by itself. Typical.

Last edited:

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
10mm and 12mm are very common, plus the box end is six sided and not 12 sided which can limit your range in tight spots. You may want to rethink that one IMO. :shrug:

WatchSquid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
93 Reef Blue Mustang convertible
I've used Crafstman products for years and although they're quality has faded over the years they still have a warranty for life, my grandad left me his Sears Roebuck hand tools when he passed away, and I still use them today.
When you can get them to HONOR the warranty. Every time I have taken any sort of wrench in, the answer is always "you used a cheater on it."
Have to get the district manager involved to get any action.

Sears. Never f'ng again.
Sponsored