Procharger+wastegate+boostcontrol=fun time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
What is the advantage of mounting the wastegate on the intercooler? Most of the guys i have seen are mounting on the hot pipe and not having to relocate the maf. I am curious because i want to wastegate my P1/S2 but i dont want to spend a ton of money doing it - as most of us...

thanks in advance.
I don't know, but I would venture to say packaging and a nice stable mounting spot. Its pretty tight along side the radiator where the pipes come through, whereas there is a good bit of room where the intercooler is mounted.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.psiproformance.com
Vehicle(s)
all of them
What is the advantage of mounting the wastegate on the intercooler? Most of the guys i have seen are mounting on the hot pipe and not having to relocate the maf. I am curious because i want to wastegate my P1/S2 but i dont want to spend a ton of money doing it - as most of us...

thanks in advance.
We chose this spot for a few reasons

1: Room! things already get very tight on the hot side, and felt that mounting the waste gate would be more durable, less cluttered, and more appealing on the end tank
2: Not a huge fan of the Maf in the end tank of the cooler so we felt that we would get better readings putting it into the cold side piping and mount the bov on the other tank.
Cost is slightly more than other kits out there that just slap a wg to a pipe but your getting alot more for the price and a better setup.

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
We chose this spot for a few reasons

1: Room! things already get very tight on the hot side, and felt that mounting the waste gate would be more durable, less cluttered, and more appealing on the end tank
2: Not a huge fan of the Maf in the end tank of the cooler so we felt that we would get better readings putting it into the cold side piping and mount the bov on the other tank.
Cost is slightly more than other kits out there that just slap a wg to a pipe but your getting alot more for the price and a better setup.

First, slapping implies those of us who lead this charge and development didn't think this through. I looked at the pipe bend, angles and airflow to ensure I had the right location selected. That ensured I would be able to control boost extremely accurately. Then measurements were taken and a mock up was made to ensure fit. Lastly it was professionally and beautifully welded on the pipe and then recoated. So don't assume and miss lead folks into thinking that all of us who did things on our own just JB welded wastgate's to our shitty stock pipes.

Secondly, BETTER is subjective... I have the PC race valve and my wastegate all on the same pipe with plenty of room for both. Arguable the Wastegate being closer to the boost source allows for a faster response all around.

The Wastgate on the hot pipe is less than 12 inches from the Boost source; which means my vacuum line which is tapped directly to the pipe receives a much faster response leading to less spikes. So controlling my boost is faster and my wastgate opens faster. Just like turbo setups, closer to the source of Boost is preferred.

Moving the MAF hasn't proven to be any better in Hp gains as the numbers shown are pretty inline with what others see

Just so everyone is clear, adding a wastgate does NOT add horsepower, it just adds horsepower and torque faster. Peak HP will not change, that is unless you up the boost, which is another cool part of the WG

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.psiproformance.com
Vehicle(s)
all of them
First, slapping implies those of us who lead this charge and development didn't think this through. I looked at the pipe bend, angles and airflow to ensure I had the right location selected. That ensured I would be able to control boost extremely accurately. Then measurements were taken and a mock up was made to ensure fit. Lastly it was professionally and beautifully welded on the pipe and then recoated. So don't assume and miss lead folks into thinking that all of us who did things on our own just JB welded wastgate's to our shitty stock pipes.

Secondly, BETTER is subjective... I have the PC race valve and my wastegate all on the same pipe with plenty of room for both. Arguable the Wastegate being closer to the boost source allows for a faster response all around.

The Wastgate on the hot pipe is less than 12 inches from the Boost source; which means my vacuum line which is tapped directly to the pipe receives a much faster response leading to less spikes. So controlling my boost is faster and my wastgate opens faster. Just like turbo setups, closer to the source of Boost is preferred.

Moving the MAF hasn't proven to be any better in Hp gains as the numbers shown are pretty inline with what others see

Just so everyone is clear, adding a wastgate does NOT add horsepower, it just adds horsepower and torque faster. Peak HP will not change, that is unless you up the boost, which is another cool part of the WG
I Don't see where i said those of you who placed the Wg on the hot pipe Jb welded it together. I simply stated that we chose to do our setup a little different, and to address concerns WE had! Yes there is more than one way to skin a cat.
We have been doing Wg on charge pipes for years in many different applications. Supercharger's, Second wg on turbo systems for launching on high boost. So Don't think we are claiming to Reinvent the wheel here its been done for many years. anyone who claims to lead a charge here on this type of boost control is sadly mistaken. Putting the wg In the spot chosen was our choice and i stated the reasons behind it. At the end of the day Joe is Very Happy with the results, placement and cost, So that to us is what matters.

Sal GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Procharged GT
I have another question, how much of increase would one see at the dragstrip by adding a WG to a 650-700 hp setup?

Sponsored

PC 2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ordered 2019 ruby red pp1 A10 with whipple stage 2
I have another question, how much of increase would one see at the dragstrip by adding a WG to a 650-700 hp setup?
Well I'm not a drag racer but if you add a Wastegate you actually do have some peak gains. 9psi with a out wastegate peak hp and tq is lower then with one check out my dyno chart. Read both of these links. The chevy article shows and tells you the hp and tq with and without a wastegate.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-...h-centrifugal-supercharger-wastegate-install/

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/sucp-1211-supercharger-wastegate/

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
Well I'm not a drag racer but if you add a Wastegate you actually do have some peak gains. 9psi with a out wastegate peak hp and tq is lower then with one check out my dyno chart. Read both of these links. The chevy article shows and tells you the hp and tq with and without a wastegate.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-...h-centrifugal-supercharger-wastegate-install/

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/sucp-1211-supercharger-wastegate/
Sorry man you are wrong. Your graph on page one show the difference between 9 psi and 13 psi. In the last artical you posted at 6100 rpm there is a 10 whp difference. That could easily be because they were two different cars or a small variance in temperature between runs etc...

Peak hp remains the same you just see it earlier. The goal is to bring boost on earlier to move everything down the power band. In the end psi and tuning impact peak hp. If you wanted to see the reality of what the WG did, turn your boost down to 9 psi and make a run. You will see a gap created in the middle of the chart where peak power is delivered earlier but it will close in again when the larger pulley equalizes the smaller pulley in Boost.

Either way nice numbers like is said!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.