Sponsored

Popping/binding noise from BMR camber plate

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Installed BMR magnaride springs and camber plates last December. Got an alignment and put about 2k miles on since then and now I am getting a binding popping noise from the passenger front strut mount/camber plate. Jacked it up last night and removed the wheel to verify the noise. It only appears when turning the wheel at low speeds in a parking lot or driveway. It's quiet at speed. Do I have a bad bearing in the camber plate? I ordered the Steeda strut socket in hopes I can retorque it down. For what its worth, I've had struts on other cars do this when the strut mount was replaced and never been able to solve the issue.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoolRod

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Anybody ever have a similar problem and solve it?

S550 Recon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
'22 CF150
The bearings in the BMR plate are extremely high quality 3/4" FK Bearings. It would be one heck of an accomplishment to wreck one so quickly.

You can do a quick test and spray some silicone (clear aerosol spray) on the bearing to see if it quietens down. If so, then it's very possible the bearing is just not happy.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
I have not touched or replaced any suspension components on my Mach 1, however, sometimes when reversing out of my driveway when I get to the bottom I crank the wheel all the way and go really slow as not to scrape the front splitter on the ground I do sometimes get a groaning/pop/creaking noise from either/both sides. Have chalked this up to characteristics of it going at low speeds and turning that tight. Have never heard noise at any type of speed slow or fast and taking turns otherwise.

Not to say you may not have a defective component.

Hotpart.com

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002, 2006, 2015 Mustangs
A spherical bearing will most likely make a popping noise going over bumps if it's bad. I would start with the spring seat at the bottom of the camber plate that has the thrust bearing incorporated into it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CoolRod

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It only makes noise at low speeds (less than 10 mph) and when turning sharply into either a driveway or parking spot. The spring is binding somehow. I've loosened up the camber plate and top strut nut and re-torqued everything. I've also sprayed some lithium grease all around the camber plate which temporarily solved the binding but it came back a day later.

I have succumbed to the thought of removing that strut and disassembling the camber plate and greasing everything up well. Like I said, it was nice and quiet for 5 month/2k miles and just recently started popping/binding.

Coincidentally enough I have a Ford Focus that I replaced the front struts and mounts on and it makes similar noises and I've never been able to solve it. I really hate strut suspensions...

DeepImpact89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2016 Mustang GT
I might be experiencing this with my car as well. Please keep us updated if you find a solution.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Installed BMR magnaride springs and camber plates last December. Got an alignment and put about 2k miles on since then and now I am getting a binding popping noise from the passenger front strut mount/camber plate. Jacked it up last night and removed the wheel to verify the noise. It only appears when turning the wheel at low speeds in a parking lot or driveway. It's quiet at speed. Do I have a bad bearing in the camber plate? I ordered the Steeda strut socket in hopes I can retorque it down. For what its worth, I've had struts on other cars do this when the strut mount was replaced and never been able to solve the issue.
When you turn the wheel side to side? While driving or stationary?

I have this issue too with my Steeda springs. I was told that the bearings at the top of the stack are off-kilter and so they have new springs being shipped from Steeda USA and Steeda.ca has also asked Ford for new bearings for my VIN.

Might wanna check into that?

OP
OP
CoolRod

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Not while driving at speed, but at speeds less than 10 mph in a parking lot or driveway.

Sponsored

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
yes, it happening on my right side.
Check the bearings at the top of the strut as well as the springs.

From what I'm being told my lowering springs are fine but Steeda USA are sending me a replacement set anyways (cause they are good like that) and Steeda.ca ordered a set of bearings for my car under warranty because he said they were cock-eyed and that is why they cause a grind/pop when I turn the wheel.

OP
OP
CoolRod

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Update: contacted BMR and they are sending me a replacement bearing for the camber plate. With any luck, I will have it by this weekend and get it swapped out.

OP
OP
CoolRod

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Update. I replaced the bearing in the BMR camber plate with the new one they sent. Note that this bearing has to be pressed in and out. I also replaced the lower strut seat with a new piece from Ford (this is the large rubber piece). I closely examined everything once I got the strut reassembled and it appears to me the bolt head on the bottom of the camber plate occasionally makes contact with the lower strut seat (depending on how much camber you have dialed in) which causes the binding/popping noise. So I thoroughly greased the top of the strut plate in hopes it will alleviate any binding/popping noise.
All is quiet now. We will see how long this lasts.
Sponsored