Sponsored

PD aftercooler choices

proamas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50 Year Package
Well, I have. KB supercharger and am considering going with a different aftercooler. From what I've been looking at VMP triple pass with dual fan kit looks like the best choice out there. Anyone with experience with any other aftermarket aftercoolers?

Not saying I'm unhappy with the KB aftercooler, but living in Florida I want more insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
Single pass triple pass makes no difference the water spends the same amount of time in the heat exchanger in any case. More passes aren't better and can be worse if you get to the point where the heat exchanger is reducing flow. You want to flow the water through faster. You want to expose the hot water to as much cool air as possible at the highest temperature. Bigger hoses, bigger fittings and stronger pumps. The fans help as ultimately the amount of air passing through the heat exchanger determines how much heat the air can carry away. Make sure there are no leaks around your radiator shroud. Air always travels the path of least resistance and that is NOT straight through the cooler. Putting a vent in your hood allows more air to travel through the grill and hence the radiator heat exchanger. Getting outside air into you air filter and not air preheated by the engine compartment helps too. KB are notorious for running hot because of the restrictive fittings and weird bends the water take in the manifold.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
I'm not a fan of the triple pass. We use a single pass and have tested the 2 and 3 pass, unless you go with at least double the flow type pump, you won't see a benefit because the restriction is 27x more than a single pass. The electric water pumps can't stand pressure. If anything, it will restrict flow significantly which is the opposite of what you want in the intercooler.

OP
OP
proamas

proamas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50 Year Package
I'm not a fan of the triple pass. We use a single pass and have tested the 2 and 3 pass, unless you go with at least double the flow type pump, you won't see a benefit because the restriction is 27x more than a single pass. The electric water pumps can't stand pressure. If anything, it will restrict flow significantly which is the opposite of what you want in the intercooler.

It's interesting you say that. Trying to bleed air out of these is nearly impossible. Then in the other hand if you fill the tanks to the very top that makes even more problems when the water heats up and expands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored